Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Go Big!

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

Just bought a Go Big!

After 3 hand surgeries in 2017, I bought an AccuQuilt Go Big today. I attended an excellent presentation on it today from a company representative. It was excellence but I am starting from complete ignorance. Any tips and tricks for using it? I am particularly interested in how to prepare the fabric for placement on dies. What dies are must? The special package came with the 2 1/2" strip die, the flying geese die and an 8" cube of dies. What else is a must have?
    TIA
    Terry

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! I think you will love it.

Regarding fabric, be aware that you don’t have to rough-cut much if you don’t want to. Excess fabric can hang off the edges of the die.

Regarding dies, my advice is to just buy dies for each quilt as you go. You don’t need every die you might use right away. Wait for sales.

My favorite dies are those with odd shapes that would be otherwise difficult to cut — tumbler, hexagons, circles, triangles, etc. I am not a fan of the strip cutters although a lot of people like them. I prefer to use a June Taylor mat to cut strips.

Jumping right in - Press the fabric as you would if you were using a rotary cutter. If you are going to 'fan fold' the fabric for cutting, press the folds as flat as you can. If you don't do that, there could be fabric shifting and you could wind up with "off " cuts. Some fabric can hang over the side of the dies, but there are limits. You'll figure that out as you go.

What dies to get depends on what kind of quilting you do. I do simple quilts, and am very happy with that. So I have several different widths of strip dies, several different square dies, a flying geese die, and some triangle dies in various sizes. That meets most of my needs. My sister, on the other hand, likes to do complex quilts like the Lone Star, so she has dies that allow her to do those small blocks.

Have fun with your Accuquilt. You won't be sorry you bought it!
    Last edited by cathyvv; 02-27-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Be sure to watch the videos on the Accuquilt website--they really show lots of tips and there are free patterns too. One thing I didn't know until I joined the Accuquilt and Beyond FaceBook site was that you can piece fabric together--like with strips, and then cut a shape, like a square or triangle, etc. Sounds like you have a good set of dies to get started--I usually wait for Accuquilt site sales or when i really need a die for a particular quilt to buy more.

Blog Entries
    I wait for sales, usually around thanksgiving and christmas for sure, others I can't remember. I love my die that cuts qty 54 of 2 1/2" charms at a time. that is a die that cuts 9 squares X 6 layers = 54. I make and swap a lot of charms for scrap quilts . I buy one or two dies at a time, as I need them or they go on sale. No rush. Like fabric, is is extra fun to buy just when you are going to need it. (one trick I have learned over the years is if I buy them through amazon.com, the shipping is free (with prime) and the delivery is about one week faster to my house. And they honor the sales because they are accuquilt's site, not a reseller like joAanns). Enjoy this Go for years and years. Mine shows no sign of wear after many many years.

Go Big!! GO Girl!! I don't have a clue about this but so exciting for you.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    I love the hexagons. Those were always hard to cut.

My recommendation is that when you are ready to use the dies, sandwich a clean white paper on top of the fabric. but before the cutting mat and roll the die through the cutter.

Oh, I have about 100 dies. My favorite dies that I use the most are the BOB dies. Blocks on Board. Each one cuts one complete block. I starch the fabric very stiff, iron the heck out of it and so have no problem with the pieces getting wonky (I do this for rotary cutting too.) I eyeball the fabric size I need for the die but will measure if I am short of fabric. All you need is 1/4" pass the blade lines. My Go is as important to me as my sewing machine and cost much less. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your new tool...I’ve used a Go at a few classes and they are neat.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Why ? I also have a Big Go,Learning to use it so far I love it

Francis41 Why put white paper on top ?

Congrats on your purchase! Ebony Love on YouTube has/had some good videos on die info......
    here's a tip - if you are only cutting a section of a die...use a mat to only cover that section...if you mat the whole die and parts are not covered with fabric, the blades make deep cuts into the mat, thus causing mat to wear out sooner...

Congrats on your AQ!

Its a great system for using scraps. I also starch the fabric and iron first. It gives a better cut. You can list your purchased dies in the AQ site so you have a record. I keep a list on my phone so I don't duplicate dies. Check the site for numerous free patterns.

Be sure the dies are stacked upright and not on top of each other.

If you have an embroidery machine, there are EMB designs that coordinate with certain dies. Always a fun project to do!

Congrats on your move toward fast and easy cutting. I would suggest you USE your machine with the dies that you have before buying more. I have the Studio 2, and many dies. I learned that I like the single dies rather than the big multiples. I use GO! dies (with an adapter ) and am not all that impressed with the BOB dies. You will have your own preferences. Learn what you enjoy using and only invest in those.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

The paper is important if for some reason the fabric can't be aligned by grain or shifts when cutting. I use paper to test for a proper cut for every new die. I use card stock to cut my EPP shapes.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

You will love your Go Big cutter. I started out with AccuQuiltGo and then I needed to switch to Go Big due to arthritis. Both are great. My favorite dies are the strip cutters in different widths. It is so easy to cut the strips and then lay them across to subcut into squares. If I need rectangles, I cut strips and then lay them across a different sized cutter. For example, I cut 2.5 inch strips and then lay them across 6.5 inch strip die to get the 2.5 x 6.5 rectangles.

Blog Entries
    My Go Big is a lifesaver! Something I have done that helps me is to extend the edges of my die shape with a fine tipped black marker to the outer edges of the die. I just put a ruler on the cutting line and extend it with my permanent marker. That way I know when I have covered the cut lines adequately on all sides. This eliminates "lifting and peeking" checks which can cause shifting. I know at a glance if I have all edges covered.

I cut kits every month for our charity bee. There are 12-15 of us each month and we shoot for a top each every meeting. I need to be very efficient to do this. So I cut large strips and fan fold them. For example, I cut 7 1/2" WOF strips by hand to use the 6 1/2" HST die. That way I don't have to spend lots of time tweaking the mostly donated fabric to get it to work. I used to be wary of wasting any bit of fabric but the time saved is worth the little fabric that goes to waste. I know, I am the worst about saving every bit of fabric I can. But I am learning that I pay a high price for that especially now that I cut so much fabric and need to be quick. That price is time to do quilts to satisfy myself!

The only advice I have that nobody else mentioned is this:
    At first I was so excited that I bought doubles of some dies by mistake. Actually they are good dies that I will probably use but just thought I'd mention it.
    I have the Go but I'm sure the one you got is even better! Have fun. It really helps me with precision.

Oh am so happy for you. I was gifted a Go Big for Xmas and darned if I was going to look a gift horse in the mouth and I already love it. I have the churn dash BOB die and love it, have never had my points match this good in all the blocks I have made and the cutting is a breeze. The sewing went so quickly to put the block together I could hardly believe I had the block together and was extremely pleased with how the points matched to a "t" and how nice it looked.

I am looking forward to making some more of the blocks with some fabric sent to our quilt club by some ladies who were most generous and using the blocks for the quilt club for quilts for people who lose their homes to fires. It is a dream to work with. I would suggest you look at what size blocks you use the most in your quilting and then look at the dies available in those sizes. If you can, wait for a sale, as those boogers are expensive.

Happy cutting and sewing.

I just bought a Go!Baby and love it. Enjoy your new Big!

On the Accuquilt website, there is a chart of all the dies they make. I refer to this chart when I am looking to buy new dies online. A lot of sellers don't tell which machine the dies will fit. The chart shows die number, the name of die, the size of mat needed and which Go cutter the die fits. I think this chart is a lifesaver, especially when you are new to AQ.

I, too, am dazzled by all the die shapes available. I have really had to rein myself in. I would probably buy them all if I could. I am currently sticking with a couple for now, the 5" square (I make a lot of I-Spy quilts) and the Value Die (3 shapes on one die, including a 2.5" square).

Again, enjoy!!!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

congrats! i have a die cutter now and i love it too! my advice is to start small, I have a 6" finished square die and a strip die for binding. I've got several other dies on my Christmas list and I'm watching for sales. Piecing is so much easier when all the pieces are precisely cut.

Blog Entries
    The triangle dies are my favorite. And, I love my 2.5" square. Great for using up scraps. I have others, but tend to use those the most. And, I just bought the kaleidoscope BOB because, I want to make a kaleidoscope quilt and I hate to paper piece. (Way too much waste!) Haven't used it yet. Hope it's a good purchase.

And, I tend to cut my fabric to the size of the dies for less waste. (Yes, time with the rotary cutter.) But, you don't have to do that. Sometimes, I even use scissors to rough cut to size.

Good luck and have fun.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

You will love your new investment! I only have the GO!, no physical problem, but if I did, I would invest in BIG....am now toying with purchasing the 1 3/4" strip...watched QIAD video on it...EB new log cabin, and looks like a breeze cutting out the various sizes....but it's out of stock at the moment...oh well, maybe a sale down the road......I do wish there was more competitive pricing allowed though......

Senior Member ClairVoyantQuilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frances41 View Post
    My recommendation is that when you are ready to use the dies, sandwich a clean white paper on top of the fabric. but before the cutting mat and roll the die through the cutter.
    Actually, placing the paper or cardstock on TOP of the mat, helps press the mat down to make better contact with the blade . . .sometimes necessary if there’s a few threads in one spot that you’re having to clip.

If you place the paper on the fabric and under the mat, not only do you end up with cut paper, but the blades make even LESS contact with the mat.
    Blessings,
    -Robin

https://quiltedorchid.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast