Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Material I bought for backing is not big enough..

Material I bought for backing is not big enough..

it is about 3 inches short...so I need ideas ...help???
    Kitty

LOL...never mind..I knew I should have looked around abit before making this post...found my answer from looking at the beautiful quilts on this site...thanks anyway...
    Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by labtechkty View Post
    LOL...never mind..I knew I should have looked around abit before making this post...found my answer from looking at the beautiful quilts on this site...thanks anyway...

And was the answer to cut it apart and insert some fabric used in the quilt top? or add in some extra blocks?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are lots of possibilities....add a border of a matching fabric or contrasting fabric or a neutral, insert some leftover blocks or strips of fabric from your blocks, etc. Some backs are as interesting as the fronts of the quilts. My sister liked one of my quiltbacks more than the pieced front. LOL

[QUOTE=QuiltE;5088796]And was the answer to cut it apart and insert some fabric used in the quilt top? or add in some extra blocks?[/QUO
    Yep...I guess I was still half asleep when I posted...but it still doesn't hurt to ask for fresh ideas.....
    Kitty

I know...some of the backs I've seen are alot prettier than the tops...go figure...lol
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    No wonder you are asleep. It's 5:30 when you asked a question.ha. I'm not even able to think or speak at that time

glad you found the answer.

Blog Entries
    I was going to suggest piecing it diagonally....

I did that once, however, instead of one solid strip down the center, I used blocks of fabric included on the front. It just added a little something extra.

[QUOTE=labtechkty;5088932]
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    And was the answer to cut it apart and insert some fabric used in the quilt top? or add in some extra blocks?[/QUO
    Yep...I guess I was still half asleep when I posted...but it still doesn't hurt to ask for fresh ideas.....

Quote Originally Posted by mama's place View Post
    There are lots of possibilities....add a border of a matching fabric or contrasting fabric or a neutral, insert some leftover blocks or strips of fabric from your blocks, etc. Some backs are as interesting as the fronts of the quilts. My sister liked one of my quiltbacks more than the pieced front. LOL
    You could also use some lighter tone on tone fabric and print out a poem, message, or design your label. Easy to do if you have an inkjet printer. I posted how to do it in the tutes section that is realtively simple.

PM if you need more.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I have cut the backing on the diagonal ala John Flynn when it was a bit too short. Here is a link for his site:
    http://flynnquilt.com/media/uploads/...onalpb1103.pdf and here is a link that simplifies the explanation.

With the length as the issue, I swapped the way I worked with it around. I used it the way he wrote it when it was too narrow. (I played with a piece of paper first to work out the technique.
    Last edited by QuiltnLady1; 03-25-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Take a look at these blogs: Ohfransson ,and Filminthefridge. These ladies make really beautiful backings for their quilts, you might get some ideas there. I have.

I know...some of the backs I've seen are alot prettier than the tops...go figure...lol
    Made a quilt for my SIL's birthday. He's loving the back of the quilt as much as the front since I pieced the back as well.

Glad you figured it out, but just wanted to let you know I've been there....one day I'll learn to buy extra.
    Some things have to be believed to be seen. -Ralph Hodgson-

Blog Entries
    Yes, find a co-rdinating piece of fabric. Splice the biggest piece down the middle, put the co-ordinating piece in the middle. Stitch them, and then for the short part at the bottom, put the rest of the first fabric you used, and piece it with the first fabric, or it could be the co-ordinating piece, whichever one you have the most fabric. I have seen and even done quilts this way, and it is really quite pretty.
    Mariah.
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

If it's the length that is too short, you can add those extra blocks at the TOP of the backing, because when the quilt top is folded back down (from the top) it matches very nicely with the pieced front.

yes there are many way to fix that problem.adding in others colors makes a back with a surprise
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Offset it the 3" by cutting it on the diagonal, and then adjusting. You should have more than enough. I learned this from John Flynn and have done it for years. And, the diagonal seam makes quilting easier. Go to Flynnquilts.com

Anita in Northfield, MN

Thank you all for your suggestions...I do remember reading John Flynn's directions but had forgotten about it until you nice people mentioned it..see it does pay to ask questions!!! lol
    Kitty

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your suggestions...I do remember reading John Flynn's directions but had forgotten about it until you nice people mentioned it..see it does pay to ask questions!!! lol
    I think John Flynn has taken his illustrations down from his site, I'm not sure why. He still explains how to do it, but it's not as good as it used to be. However, if you google "diagonally pieced quilt back" you will find several other sites that have excellent illustrations with the instructions.

Some of the pieced backs are just so beautiful.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather