Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just a confession and warning... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-confession-warning-t302657.html)

Nanscan 01-30-2019 03:01 AM

Just a confession and warning...

:rolleyes:After hours and hours, days and days, weeks and weeks (you all know) and many questions, I have started to hand quilt. It's going really well and the middle is completed. I keep checking the back for puckers, etc. Very pleased. Then, yesterday, while laying it out on the bed to see the fruit of my efforts, what do I notice? I have put the backing upside down (it's definitely a top/bottom design)!!! I could hardly believe my eyes. How could I have missed this??? :eek: In disbelief, and to keep from crying, I told myself maybe I have come upon a new quilt fad--the upside down quilt....what a blockhead. Just wanted to double warn those of you who are relatively new to quilting--check your backing direction--no, I mean really check it cause I thought I had!! :(

PamelaOry 01-30-2019 03:21 AM

Oh no! Well.....I think you have created a new style, the flip-see. You flip it to see the back.

QuiltnNan 01-30-2019 03:38 AM

i turned in a donation quilt yesterday. i generally put the label in the bottom corner. this one had the label at the top, instead!

Tartan 01-30-2019 03:44 AM

Disappointing but you don’t see both sides at the same time so give yourself a break.

NJ Quilter 01-30-2019 03:57 AM

I haven't done that (yet!) but every time I buy a directional print to use on the quilt top I ask myself 'why did I do this to myself yet again?'.

As Tartan says, you don't see both sides at the same time so take a deep breath and relax. Put this one in the 'live & learn' file.

cindi 01-30-2019 04:51 AM

Been there, done that! After doing it several times, my new motto is - “Hey, I bought the back of the fabric, too!”, and just let it go :thumbup:

quilterpurpledog 01-30-2019 05:01 AM

We all make mistakes. Some are small and others are big. Others are almost catastrophic. I had to take all of the quilting out of a queen sized quilt. I did it; it took weeks, literally. Why did I do it rather than dump it? Because it cost $300 in fabric. It is ready to re-quilt.

SusieQOH 01-30-2019 05:02 AM

I can imagine how awful you felt! All that work! But Tartan is right and it's still going to be wonderful!

SillySusan 01-30-2019 05:12 AM

Hey! No one sees both sides at the same time! When I had a problem of hub caps coming off my car and 2 of them were missing, I had to buy a new set of 4 with a different design. I told the mechanic to put the 2 originals on 1 side and 2 of the new ones on the other side. He was shocked and said that they wouldn't match. I told him that no one could see both sides at the same time. He laughed hysterically, but it paid off because after a month or so, I lost another and I had the handy replacements. Eventually they figured out and fixed the problem with the wheel.

Cactus Stitchin 01-30-2019 05:22 AM

I understand your pain and agree with the others to laugh at your mistake and move forward. I’ll bet that very few quilts are made with ‘no errors’ or as I prefer to think of them ‘deliberate design choices’. When I first read your post I grinned, and thought, ‘well if she shows off the quilt she can just lift it from the bottom edge and the backing fabric will be right side up!’ Yup! I’m a Pollyanna and try to find a silver lining in whatever life deals for me so I don’t go crazy apologizing for my frequent mistakes. Congratulations on getting this far and being brave enough to hand quilt!