Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   just curious: how do YOU decide your next project? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-curious-how-do-you-decide-your-next-project-t61483.html)

jljack 08-26-2010 01:25 PM

I have a few projects going at a time (not all BIG ones...that would make me crazy!), usually one main one and two or three smaller ones. There is always something needed for a specific event, and that floats to the top to meet the deadline. Also I switch to learn new techniques.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-26-2010 01:44 PM

There is no rhyme or reason to how I prioritize my projects.
I rarely stick with what I intended so I don't set many priorities anymore!! :D
It all gets done eventually. I have to enjoy the process, however it flows!

rismstress 08-26-2010 01:51 PM

While I am working on one quilt, there will be a batch of fabric on the shelf or a book that jumps into my lap and screams, "make me, make me." So I find myself thinking about the next project while I am still doing one. Sometimes the screaming is so loud, I have to hurry up and finish the current one so I can start the next one and silence the screams.
Cheryl

MaryStoaks 08-26-2010 02:03 PM

I usually find my materials on sale or at thrift stores/yard sales. I chose my projects by what I have on hand in my stash. Right now I have a bunch of black & whites so I'll make purses and quilts in B&W. I have been saving and searching out good buys in earth tones, when I have enough I'll use them. I do buy a small amount of novelty fabric from time to time to make something special. The special projects go to the front of the line.

Bev 08-26-2010 02:30 PM

I have to admit, I get a little crazy sometimes. My list of things needing to be done keeps getting longer and my time keeps shrinking it seems. Sometimes I simply get paralyzed by having that feeling of too much to do and too little time to do it all in.
When that happens I just shut down and can't do anything. So, I keep a marker board in my quilting room, and I make a list of stuff I have to get done. As each one gets done, it makes me feel good to put a line through it. But usually no sooner do I have one crossed off then another goes to the bottom of the list. It's frustrating. Not to mention that there are quilts I really want to do just for myself. I guess the bottom line here is that I have no answer to your question. I'll be interested in seeing the other replies. :oops:

Jim's Gem 08-26-2010 03:30 PM

I usually have several going at one time. I finish first, usually, the one that has to get out the door the soonist.

Honey 08-26-2010 04:38 PM

I, too, have more than one thing going at a time, but only one of them is an actual quilt. Some may be runners, or place mats or quilted table cloths. Rite now I am in the middle of Halloween lap quilts for my 5 dgs's. But, as to what I will do next, I don't choose it, it chooses me. Whatever calls to me when I complete one project is what I do next. I keep a list of all of the projects I want to do.

deedum 08-26-2010 04:47 PM

Gee, I walk into the sewing room with one intent, next thing I am working on whatever I am in the mood for. Believe it or not this works for me!

RedGarnet222 08-26-2010 04:55 PM

I try and make the ones that are the oldest that I have bought for and have everything on hand. But, sometimes I get so excited about one it slips in the line to first ... LOL! I spent last year finishing up my old ufo's so now it is just a matter of getting started on the ones I have collected my fabrics to make.

The thing is, many of the women on the board belong to guilds that travel and have classes. That would make it hard to stay on track, for sure.

I don't know if this would appeal to you, but maybe make yourself a list to post in your sewing area. That would help remind you which you were planning next and for whom.

I carry a small booklet that has samples stapled in it for the missing pieces and the written amounts of fabric I need next to it. When it is all there I can start it. I am funny like that.

Grammy o'5 08-26-2010 05:22 PM

I don't know why but I HAVE to finish a project before I start another. So now I'm sitting here psycho-analyzing myself trying to figure out why. I guess it's because that's the way my mom taught us. If something happens that I can't finish a project, I just CAN NOT start a new project . . . so my entire creative process stalls . . . nothing happens. I've completely quit cross-stitch when one of those projects was giving me problems. LOL! :wink: :?