Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   just curious: how do YOU decide your next project? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-curious-how-do-you-decide-your-next-project-t61483.html)

Sew Krazy Girl 08-26-2010 10:30 PM

I have many projects waiting in the wings. However, I make myself work on no than two at a time. Otherwise, I get lost and just start floundering around. It's not easy, but it makes me finish faster so I can get to the next one.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 08-26-2010 11:30 PM

I'm going to try something "New" don't know if it will work but why not, will try to finish 2 ufo's for each 1 new start. The problem with that is making it work, with out distraction, LOL and all the temptation !!

Yep I'm a project hopper !! :)

:lol: :lol: WOW !! just realized this is my 1000 post !!
Hmmm might be spending too much time here, :oops: But do enjoy the good company :!: :!:

GrannieAnnie 08-26-2010 11:35 PM

Anything I need to do for a chairity comes first. I don't know how I managed this, but 5 projects are all due in September------currently all five have been started. 75% done on one, 50% on three of them and 10% on the last

quilterella 08-27-2010 12:30 AM

Sometimes it goes by the level of challenge, sometimes it goes by what tickles my fancy...but lately it seems to be by request or expectation ( if that makes any sense). My daughter and husband just bought a new home and she announced that new quilts would make excellent Christmas gifts for my three grandchildren ...{{{SIGH}}}so as I said, sometimes it is by request.

quilt3311 08-27-2010 03:28 AM

Always have many projects in progress. Some just piles of fabric with pattern, some tops, some that need binding etc etc. Have a notebook with "would like to do someday" quilt pictures or patterns from magazines.
Do know a few who just work on one project at a time, but would find that intimidating. I need variety in my work.

Rettie V. Grama 08-27-2010 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mattee
Stick to it? There are people who stick to a plan? I'm confused by your question. Do you mean that you only work on one thing at a time? Is that possible?

But seriously, to answer your question, I probably have 20 quilts in various states of completion at the moment, from waiting to be quilted, to needing basting, to partially pieced or waiting to be pieced tops. I do whatever catches my eye or interest at any given moment. When I start to feel like there's too much going on, I take those projects that are closest to completion and do those first, to knock things off my list. I make a lot of gifts, but avoid taking commissions or committing myself to gifts for particular holidays. That way, even though I'm making a birthday present, I'm not committed to which birthday a person gets the gift.

Mattee, sounds like you live in my house. I have several things on hold. A very large tote bucket full + but right now I'm making Table runners for a craft show. Have 18 or 20 designed, pinned, ready to bat, quilt, and bind. My method is like working in a factory--remember Lucy & Ethel in the chocalate factory?

CompulsiveQuilter 08-27-2010 03:43 AM

I get to a major "milestone" and leave it up on the design wall while I start another. When I'm excited enough to replace the one on the wall with the new one, I get to another milestone on THAT one. I just keep rotating - I don't tuck any WIP away, but keep them out - supposedly to inpire me to finish. One "milestone" at a time.

grann of 6 08-27-2010 03:46 AM

I make clothes for people, so that comes first, depending on when they need it. I usually try to do one thing at a time. I need to keep focused. I always have the next thing either in my mind or lined up somewhere. Right now I have 2 satin dresses to make, one is cut out. And I have 2 more nighties to make for my SIL. I have things I would rather do, so consequently I am accomplishing nothing. I will start on Christmas as soon as I finish these things.

Psychomomquilter 08-27-2010 04:13 AM

I guess that means I am hooked! I have at least 5 projects to do and that kids quilt(2!) so I am trying to prioritize my time for other things too, um thats kinda hard!

MommaThomps 08-27-2010 04:38 AM

I like to have one project at a time that I'm focusing on, so that it gets done.....it's usually because I wait right until the baby is born to make the quilt, or quilt a table runner for that holiday the week before the holiday. I think the pressure of time motivates and focuses me to get things done. I do have a whole list of projects to do though and a few that I started forever ago that I should probably finish one of these days.