Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   just got back from Wal-Mart... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-got-back-wal-mart-t45453.html)

Dina 05-10-2010 09:30 AM

After reading all the posts that say Wal-Mart is going out of the fabric business, I made a point of going by the fabric dept. here and asking. I got the same message....they are not going out of the fabric business at this Wal-Mart. I wonder if they are just not being told?

At any rate, even though I did not need any fabric and even though I told myself just yesterday that from now on I would not buy fabric unless I had a project in mind, I bought ten pieces. Seven are purple and three are turquoise. No, I don't have patterns in mind, though I know there is a purple quilt in my future. (I asked about purple quilts here recently and found many many wonderful ideas!! I just haven't settled on one yet.)

I didn't find any fantastic sales or anything, but I had a good time. :)

sewcrafty 05-10-2010 09:32 AM

Sounds like you had fun!!! :thumbup:

amma 05-10-2010 09:43 AM

Ours is not removing the fabric section, but they have made is significantly smaller. I always check when I go there weekly for groceries... just in case they have a sale or a fabric I can't live without :D:D:D

Quilter7x 05-10-2010 09:50 AM

I think if the community speaks loud enough, WalMart will keep the fabric dept in that community.

Luv Quilts and Cats 05-10-2010 10:01 AM

The Wal-Marts in my area (Manchester, NH)have all ceased to carry fabric. The nearest Wal-Mart with fabric is in Amherst, NH, about 20 mins. or so away. I have not gone yet. I've been too busy buying fabric at Ace Hardware/Ben Franklins in Raymond, NH (yes, a craft store withing a hardware store) and buying fabric at Marden's in Sanford, ME. (Good qulity fabric at $2.99 to $3.99 per yard!) Their inventory changes day to day, but I usually find plenty that I like. If you ever are in the area, check them out.

luv-e 05-10-2010 10:07 AM

I went to our "W"[Mason,WV] and the lady said that over 2000 stores will be getting rid of the material. She said they just don't know when??? We have a LQS and anything else is 45min.--1hr. away:{

sharon b 05-10-2010 10:11 AM

We have 2 WalMarts that have fabric, one store just remodeled and made the department REALLY small :shock: The other is suppose to get remodeled next year :roll: I have noticed that the prices are creeping up and the quality is DROPPING

rahaube 05-10-2010 10:47 AM

We had one Wal Mart in the neighboring county that said that they would continue to stock fabric as a lot of people wrote in complaining about the plan to take it out. Alas, that was a year ago and while they had fabric longer than some, it is now all gone.

CarrieAnne 05-10-2010 11:41 AM

Our two still have it, and I am PRAYING they keep it!

marsye 05-10-2010 11:43 AM

Has your store been remodeled? They told me when they do the remodel is when they do away with fabric.