Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just had to share (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-had-share-t173457.html)

wildyard 12-30-2011 08:37 AM

Something to think about for those who want to mentor and don't have someone close, is looking into the kids at risk in your local school programs and seeing if you can't connect with someone there. Often all those kids need is someone to take an interest in them and show a little caring and spend some time with them one on one.
Teaching them a skill is a great way to do that.
Just a thought! Hugssssss and smilesssss!

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 12-30-2011 11:47 AM

I totally understand....I too had only sons. Now I have two DDILs but neither of them have any patience or interest in quilting, but love the quilts I make them. I am holding out hope that eventually my little 3 year old DGD will want gramma to show her how to sew......all in good time.

bearisgray 12-30-2011 11:58 AM

I am so happy for you that you have someone to share your passion with! :-)

Jennie and Me 12-30-2011 12:20 PM

Two daughters with no interest in any type of sewing. Two older granddaughters with no interest in sewing.:( BUT, I have a new granddaughter born 10/11/11 and my hope hinges on her. I have high hopes of her learning to sew and I will do my best to cultivate those hopes! :) Somebody needs to show some interest in all of my quilting/sewing stuff 'cause I can't live forever and I need someone to pass it on to!!

QandE2010 12-30-2011 12:27 PM

My daughter and granddaughter are both into crafts of various kinds. My daughter doesn't sew clothes or quilt, but she can sew drapes, cover a couch or any other type of upholstered furniture and remodel coffee tables, etc. My granddaughter is studying art as well as business in college. I'm glad you have someone to share your love of crafting.

Up North 12-30-2011 12:31 PM

I guess I am lucky two future DDil's are interested one is on the go by herself with making quilts My granddaughter I taught at age 6 made her first quilt and got a new machine for Christmas One of my grandsons made a quilt for his little brother at 6 years of age.

TanyaL 12-30-2011 12:40 PM

For those of you who are rearing sons right now don't think you have to wait for DIL to do crafty things. I had 4 sons. Two of them loved auto mechanics, so I learned to do engine repair with them. Most of the time I assisted, but I was there; we were talking - I knew what was going on in their lives, I wasn't left out. One other son became a musician and all I could do was sit and listen to him play as I can't even keep time listening to a drum solo. LOL The last son was into everything - taught me to ride a motorcycle among other things. Don't think there aren't things to share with sons. Sewing and quilting will be there after the sons have left home; they are only there a few short years with you. Learn to do what they are interested in.

grandme26 12-30-2011 03:26 PM

I taught my DIL, before she and my son were married or even thinking of marriage, how to do counted cross stitch and she loved doing it. They now have two little boys and she has branched out into knitting, scrap booking, and is learning to sew. She will eventually start quilting as both her mother and I do it.

carolynjo 12-30-2011 05:10 PM

Luck to the up and coming culinary student. Kudos to all crafty, sewing-inclined people. We all may need their skills one day. Interesting how those skills bypass some generations and show up later.

kacy 49 12-30-2011 05:32 PM

My granddaughters use to come sew with me until they moved. I really miss the great times we had in the sewing room.