Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   JUST FOR J - grandma's flower garden: (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-j-grandmas-flower-garden-t78061.html)

117becca 11-23-2010 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jory
did you start in the middle of the quilt and quilt out to the edges?

Jory

i did start in the middle of the fabric and stitch out. I have pinned basted it, but still have to keep adjusting it.

BUT - since hanging here (which was after i started the quilt) I have learned a couple things:

1. Starch the daylights out of the backing before sandwiching everything together. I would also pay closer attention & use a bit tighter weave muslin on the back.

2. Use Susan (?) what's her name's method of basting. Someone help me.....She uses 1x2 or 3s and rolls the backing on it, same w/ the top. Then as she unrolls each(top & bottom) she places the batting in the middle and hand bastes it. Generally working in an area no deeper than an arms reach.

You could do a search for basting and will find the method i want to use.

Because my quilt frame is smaller, I would still start in the middle. On the tutorial i'm referring to - it says you don't have to. If i was quilting on a full-size frame (which i have, but don't want to quilt in the basement) I would not start in the middle.

my quilt frame
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132316[/ATTACH]

Jory 11-23-2010 05:18 AM

I don't have a frame. . .on the quilt I'm just finishing, I'm using a hoop. It has worked well for me (I divided the quilt into sections, quilted each section, and then assembled them).

Since this GFG quilt is twin sized, it's about the same size as the biggest piece I worked on.

Do you think this method will work on the GFG? I want it to be done "perfectly" (as close to it as I can).

Thanks so much for all of your help, BTW!!

Jory

humbird 11-23-2010 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca

did you start in the middle of the quilt and quilt out to the edges?

Jory

i did start in the middle of the fabric and stitch out. I have pinned basted it, but still have to keep adjusting it.

BUT - since hanging here (which was after i started the quilt) I have learned a couple things:

1. Starch the daylights out of the backing before sandwiching everything together. I would also pay closer attention & use a bit tighter weave muslin on the back.

2. Use Susan (?) what's her name's method of basting. Someone help me.....She uses 1x2 or 3s and rolls the backing on it, same w/ the top. Then as she unrolls each(top & bottom) she places the batting in the middle and hand bastes it. Generally working in an area no deeper than an arms reach.

You could do a search for basting and will find the method i want to use.

Because my quilt frame is smaller, I would still start in the middle. On the tutorial i'm referring to - it says you don't have to. If i was quilting on a full-size frame (which i have, but don't want to quilt in the basement) I would not start in the middle.

That is a very nice frame. Is it your own design? Looks like it would be very handy for small spaces.

117becca 11-23-2010 08:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
jory - by all means, continue on w/ the hoop. Many of my friends enjoy quilting on the hoop while they're sitting & watching tv.

hummbird - I got the frame at a quilt show about 10 yrs ago. I would think it would be simple to re-create, although, i've not seen the metal corner pieces at Lowes/HD - but never have looked either...

i looked online for something similar - just curious and hadn't come across anything.....

Here are some closeups..

this wingnut assembly is on opposite corners - tighten & loosen as needed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132431[/ATTACH]

plain metal brackets on the other 2 corners..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132432[/ATTACH]

folding legs that collapse if you want to move
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132433[/ATTACH]

suebee 11-23-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca
..Hope you were able to make heads & tails out of this...

Oh Becca - this is just awesome. I love the way you are hand quilting this. Your design shows more detail. I keep hoping to run into someone that can teach me how to hand quilt. Im ready. I was given my great-grandmothers quilt frame and cant wait to set it up and get going. I have started piecing my flowers, but have a looooooooooong way to go. Thank you for sharing your work of art and if you ever get to Arizona, look me up :) PLEASE!!!

Jory 11-23-2010 10:34 AM

I learned how to hand quilt by watching videos on U-tube. It's hard to go from written instructions to doing it yourself: really helps to see it done.

And there are so many helpful people on this board if you run into specific problems. . .I had trouble at first keeping the first few stitches on the needle until someone suggested tilting the needle up (eye down, sharp end up) instead of trying to do it with the needle horizontal. I didn't have any problems with the other stitches, just the first few.

Jory

suebee 11-23-2010 11:08 AM

I learned how to hand quilt by watching videos on U-tube. It's hard to go from written instructions to doing it yourself: really helps to see it done.

And there are so many helpful people on this board if you run into specific problems. . .I had trouble at first keeping the first few stitches on the needle until someone suggested tilting the needle up (eye down, sharp end up) instead of trying to do it with the needle horizontal. I didn't have any problems with the other stitches, just the first few.

Jory

Oh, Thank you Jory...curious do you rock the needle to load all your stitches and how many stitches do you take up on the needle at one time? Thank you again

Jory 11-23-2010 11:13 AM

Yes, I rock the needle, and usually stack 3-4 stitches on the needle. Don't try for small stitches at first: go for consistent length of stitch.

It's all about practice, and not being too hard on yourself at first. After about 3 hours of hand quilting, you'll be amazed at how much better you are than when you first started!

suebee 11-23-2010 11:17 AM

Yes, I rock the needle, and usually stack 3-4 stitches on the needle. Don't try for small stitches at first: go for consistent length of stitch.

It's all about practice, and not being too hard on yourself at first. After about 3 hours of hand quilting, you'll be amazed at how much better you are than when you first started!

Thats great, thank you. I feel a little more confident now :)

117becca 11-23-2010 01:19 PM

Suebee - Jory explained it well. You get better w/ practice and if you're starting out - pick out patterned fabrics (they hide stitches better). And when you start going to quilt shows, you'll find all kinds of stitching. Some of it looks great, some of it makes you wonder!! Just dig in !! And have fun!!