Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   JUST FOR J - grandma's flower garden: (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-j-grandmas-flower-garden-t78061.html)

117becca 11-22-2010 03:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I was asked how i stitch my Granma's Flower Garden, but i can't put pictures into my answer :( So, please indulge me

I hand quilt around each little hexagon just inside the hexagon. And while that seems daunting - it actually hasn't been bad because i've found a way to keep a running stitch...

I have seen alot where the 'top & bottom' of each color has been quilted - eliminating quilting between the hexagons. Look at the picture w/ the masking tape..

I even saw a quilt where the quilter quilted straight lines all the way across the quilt - dividing the hexagons into 3 sec - It actually didn't look bad.

Daggone - it's hard to draw straight lines in Paint
:oops: :roll:

closeup of how i quilt a flower
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132053[/ATTACH]

This is how i keep a running stitch - follow the black lines & arrows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132054[/ATTACH]

then i stitch the bottom -
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132055[/ATTACH]

117becca 11-22-2010 03:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
..Hope you were able to make heads & tails out of this...

how i stitched my border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132056[/ATTACH]

crooked - but the other 2 ways i have seen GFG stitched
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132057[/ATTACH]

amma 11-22-2010 03:23 PM

Thank you for the great tute!! It is very helpful :D:D:D

SandyinZ4 11-22-2010 03:35 PM

You are so good to show us pics with your directions. My mom made a similar pattern way back in the 30's and did it just like you are doing in the top pics. What a lot of handwork. I so much admire yours and naturally hers.

117becca 11-22-2010 03:43 PM

thanks for indulging me - didn't think to put this in the tutorial section :oops:

I've been quilting on this since the middle of Aug and i'm about 2/3 done. Goodness - i watch a lot of TV!! Nor do i have a life! ;)

I like quilting on this - but not sure if i'd put one together.

Carol W 11-22-2010 06:22 PM

Great job!!!

Jory 11-22-2010 06:24 PM

Thanks! That helps a lot! It'll probably take me years to do it, but I'm going to give it a try!

Jory

117becca 11-22-2010 06:56 PM

you're welcome jory!!

take your quilt to the fabric store to find a binding. I was originally going to nip off the points around the hexagons and bind the quilt - leaving the scalloped edges.

When i gave my aunt her other quilt last summer, she made the comment that she was disappointed that it didn't fit her full size bed. I thought about adding a border to it, but just couldn't wrap my brain around how to do it w/out it looking like there had been a border added to it many years later.

It was that comment that led me to add the border on this Grandmas Flower Garden. For me, it was very important that the border NOT look like it was added on 50 yrs later!

She thinks it is wonderful that she has something she made and yet finished by one of her nieces. She will enjoy it and there will be 2 quilts that she can pass down to her children

Jory 11-22-2010 07:51 PM

did you start in the middle of the quilt and quilt out to the edges?

Jory

franie 11-22-2010 07:52 PM

Nice!