Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Just let me get my magic wand..." (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-let-me-get-my-magic-wand-t278407.html)

NatalieF 05-08-2016 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7543930)
There is only one answer that will put a stop to every request. It's simple and to the point. Say:
No, I don't want to. It works for every request, every time. If someone doesn't think twice about putting me on the spot I have fun saying No I don't want to. It's worth it to see the expression on their faces, You don't want to do something I wanted you to do for me???

Too often we're taught to feel guilty for saying "no". Why is that? Parents often inadvertently teach their kids this. It's a very empowering word.

The trick is, just say "no"...don't justify (i.e. no, because.....) People will try to guilt you into doing it, as you've given them an "in" by offering a reason you're saying no. Just a plain NO ("I don't want to" is a nice addition!) you're not giving them something to work with. This applies to anything you're saying NO to.

cashs_mom 05-08-2016 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by deedum (Post 7543030)
People think because I have one or two sewing machines and possibly more:) and a sewing room that I can sew or mend anything they have and for free. Just last week I was asked to repair a blouse and a former neighbor asked me to repair some items for her and now my dn asked me to hem her chiffon dress. No. I don't have a shingle out saying "Will do mending and repairs"! I sew quilts or whatever because I want to, I don't want to get this started. I wouldn't know where to start with chiffon. I give them the name of a local mending and repair store that does have there shingle out for business.

Remember, asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage. I think I read that here somewhere and love it. I"m thinking of making a sign for my sewing room with that on it :D

Genden 05-08-2016 10:49 AM

My friend had a neighbor ask her to sew together blocks she had embroidered, then hand quilt and finish the quilt. Her neighbor is a retired hair dresser, so they struck a deal--a finished quilt for doing her hair for the rest of her life. They are both near eighty and very happy with the deal.

Friday1961 05-08-2016 11:30 AM

No magic wand story request but I've just finished the top for a little I Spy quilt which I made to give to a lifelong friend's granddaughter, for her new baby. As I was planning the borders I suddenly came to and realized that while the grandmother -- my friend -- would appreciate it, the granddaughter, a very modern young woman, is probably not even a "quilt" person and I can well imagine her tossing it. I would probably never know -- my friend would certainly never tell me -- but I'm now so convinced that I've decided not to give it. I'm a little sad because I had planned to surprise my friend with it, but while I know we can't control what people do with our gifts, I've decided to give it elsewhere, to someone I know will like it.

No blame to the granddaughter; people are free to like what they like. But I forget sometimes, in my creative eagerness, that not everyone likes or values homemade gifts, including quilts.

purplefiend 05-08-2016 12:09 PM

I gave a relative a wedding quilt. Its a queen size basket quilt, the backing is Mardi Gras fabric. Nobody ever sees the front of the quilt. :(
Sharon in Texas

toverly 05-08-2016 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7543930)
There is only one answer that will put a stop to every request. It's simple and to the point. Say:
No, I don't want to. It works for every request, every time. If someone doesn't think twice about putting me on the spot I have fun saying No I don't want to. It's worth it to see the expression on their faces, You don't want to do something I wanted you to do for me???

I definitely need to practice this simple phrase. I can say no, but I usually make up some excuse like, I have too many other projects. Which does leave the door open for a later date. Your way ends it. Good job.

LavenderBlue 05-08-2016 12:28 PM

mme3924, how about gifting it directly to your friend to use at her home when the baby visits??

Wanabee Quiltin 05-08-2016 03:30 PM

My dear friend said she really wanted me to make her a queen size quilt. Before I could say no, she went on to tell me she would pick out the pattern and colors soon. She then added that she'd pay me $25 for the quilt. I had just made my first quilt which came about because I had taken a 6 week quilting class. And I had to buy my fabric at the store, the cost was over $200. I was able to interrupt my friend to tell her that I was way too new at this quilting to ever make her a quilt, the answer was a gentle, but firm no.

wildyard 05-08-2016 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 (Post 7544030)
No magic wand story request but I've just finished the top for a little I Spy quilt which I made to give to a lifelong friend's granddaughter, for her new baby. As I was planning the borders I suddenly came to and realized that while the grandmother -- my friend -- would appreciate it, the granddaughter, a very modern young woman, is probably not even a "quilt" person and I can well imagine her tossing it. I would probably never know -- my friend would certainly never tell me -- but I'm now so convinced that I've decided not to give it. I'm a little sad because I had planned to surprise my friend with it, but while I know we can't control what people do with our gifts, I've decided to give it elsewhere, to someone I know will like it.

No blame to the granddaughter; people are free to like what they like. But I forget sometimes, in my creative eagerness, that not everyone likes or values homemade gifts, including quilts.

Just a thought but you could still gift the quilt to your friend for her to keep at her house for when the new baby comes to visit.

ND Quilter 05-08-2016 05:14 PM

Here is my story. After living in a motor home with my 93 year old mother for 7 1/2 weeks following a flood in 2011, a man who was working in my basement at $40.00 an hour asked me to make his wife a quilt. I knew her as a friend and a fellow teacher. I told him I would if he paid for the supplies and paid me for my time. He agreed. I gave him in itemized estimate just like he had given me. I figured it would take about 12 yards of fabric at $12.00 a yard. I work at a local quilt shop and knew that was the going price. I added in the price for batting, thread and other supplies. I am a long arm quilter and have my own machine so I added the cost for quilting. I also added $40.00 per hour for my time. I figured if his time was worth $40.00 an hour, so was mine. When he was here for the end of the project, and presented me with the final bill, I gave him my estimate. It came to $1350.00. Needless to say, I haven't heard from him to make his wife a quilt.