Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it just me or is this expensive. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-me-expensive-t69056.html)

kellen46 10-15-2010 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal
I bought the pattern and want to make one as well. I read in one of the posts to use cardboard, but could plastic canvas be used instead to make the stiffer bottom?

I use plastic canvas all the time. It is easy to cut to size and goes through the washer/dryer just fine. I usually cut a piece of fabric to sew to the wrong side of the bottom of the outer fabric, I use it like a little envelope to slide the canvas into and it is then sewn into the bag very securely when the lining and top are connected, no slippage. I find plastic canvas at the thrift shop for about 25 cents a sheet. It goes a long way.

cindle 10-17-2010 12:46 PM

Mission complete. I went to Fabricland today in another city that's 15 minutes away from the city I live in and found the fusible pellon for my bow tuck. I was talking to the lady in the store and told her I was new to sewing and she gave me a 20% off student discount saying that she likes to encourage those new to sewing to continue what they are doing. So I got my pellon for $4.40 a meter and a new pair of spring scissors also discounted the 20% for $5.58. Not to mention the women that worked in this store seemed to be a lot more happy to be doing what they were doing and they were a lot more helpful and friendly then the women who work in the fabricland in the city I live in. I even told the lady who was helping me this. I think it was worth the 15 minute drive today lol :) Now I can start working on my bow tuck.

Carol's Quilts 10-20-2010 09:39 PM

Congratulations! I'm glad you got what you needed and now you can begin your project. Also great that you found such helpful clerks. You'll find that the more often you go there, the better it will get. The clerks at my Joann's are always like that and are very helpful when I don't know what to use or can't decide which of several choices I should use. WHOOOOO HOOOOO - have fun!!!

costumegirl 10-21-2010 09:10 PM

Have fun with your project!! :)

MommaDorian 02-13-2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Living the Dream
If your Walmart still has fabric, RUN and get some Pellon. At my Walmart, the fusible fleece is only $3.97 yd and the non-fusible is $2.77.

PLUS - the bow tuck bag's instructions tell you that you'll need 2 yds of fusible fleece. That's way too much. I think I use about a yard for each bag.

That's where I get mine. I just bought some yesterday for $3.97 a yard. I could only find one type though, #973. The pattern says 987. Does anybody know which is thicker?

Bobbinchick 02-13-2011 10:03 AM

$6.99 a yard at Joanns. Our walmart does not have any fuseable fleece, but before they cut out the fabrics they used to have it real cheap. I think that is waaaay too much for the pellon where you went. Huggies, Fay

BellaBoo 02-13-2011 10:05 AM

One Walmart here still has a great selection of all Pellon products. I never leave without at least 3 yards of something Pellon when I go there.