Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it just me or is this expensive. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-me-expensive-t69056.html)

garysgal 10-11-2010 02:51 AM

I bought the pattern and want to make one as well. I read in one of the posts to use cardboard, but could plastic canvas be used instead to make the stiffer bottom?

quiltilicious 10-11-2010 03:17 AM

The plastic canvas idea is great! I was gifted a few large pieces of it, and I had no idea what to do with it.

QuiltswithConvicts 10-11-2010 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
We must live in the same city!! I think it is very expensive - you have to add on the 13% Ontario tax too. I hardly ever find anything at Fabricland. I was looking for the aluminu ironing board fabric and it was $20 and not very nice (was really rough and had defects).

The border is very close to me so I go to Joann's with coupons and it is a nice outing for the day. Even with the border crossing fees and the the 6% MI tax it is much cheaper.

They charge to cross the border now? When we lived in New Hampshire, our older son went to Michigan Lutheran Seminary in Saginaw. We crossed the border many, many times - both ways. We made the trip with a stop over in Niagra Falls each time. This was back in 1989 - 1991.

They charge to cross into Juarez, Mexico from El Paso - 2 cents into Mexico & 3 cents back to USA ,Kind of pricey, huh? :)

HisPatchwork 10-11-2010 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I buy mine at Hancock's and it's usually 4.99 or 5.99 yd

Here they sell it for $7.99/yd. Next door at the little shop, I bought it for $4.99/2 yd cut tied with a ribbon.

HisPatchwork 10-11-2010 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal
I bought the pattern and want to make one as well. I read in one of the posts to use cardboard, but could plastic canvas be used instead to make the stiffer bottom?

I used a piece of foam core poster board in mine.

madamekelly 10-11-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by paloma
use left over batting. or left over fannel, any thig will make linning the bottom should be stiff but you can cover cardboard and in sert so you can take outfor washing

I have made a lot of tote bags. I found the most economical bag base is Plastic canvas. You have the stiffener, and you can make the cover washable by making it like a pillowcase with a flap. I'm sure it would work for all the beautiful Bowtuck bags too!

IBQLTN 10-11-2010 11:44 AM

pellon is 50% off at JoAnn's through today, Monday, Oct 11 for the Columbus Day sale.

Better hurry!!!

Happy Tails 10-11-2010 04:05 PM

Unfortunately Walmart here turned stupid and decided it was a good idea to get rid of their fabric department and have been selling things at clearence prices that aren't even clearnance prices. I know of one Walmart in the states that still sells the bolt fabric I'll have to check their next time I'm over. Good to know that I don't need so much pellon for the bow tuck bag I just got the pattern and haven't tried making one yet. New to quilting and sewing.[/quote]

Here in Nova Scotia too. Talking about high prices, when I went to my son's wedding in Ottawa, I was dying to get to a quilting shop so my g/f came with me. Well I'm sure they thought I was right off the boat when I darn near fainted, the cheapest meter of fabric was 18.00!!!! While that may well be a normal price, I was in total shock...no wonder I order online and will continue to do so pffffffffffffffffft on that!!!

Happy Tails 10-11-2010 04:09 PM

I don't know if they ship to Canada, however Connecting Threads has Insulbrite (ironing board insulation) for about $6.00 per yard. You might check it out.[/quote]

They do ship to Canada, I order from them a lot :)

ladyredhawk 10-11-2010 07:03 PM

http://www.createforless.com/Pellon+.../pid24755.aspx I get mine here I don't know about liters but its pretty cheap in inches.