Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it just me or is this expensive. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-me-expensive-t69056.html)

CarrieAnne 10-08-2010 03:17 PM

Wow, seems expensive to me!

tjradj 10-08-2010 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
I don't know what that is in US dollars, but it sure sounds expensive!
Let me know if I can send you some.

You might just be starting a mailorder business there. I'd order some! It's wwaaaayy to expensive here. I pay $22/metre for the very stiff fusible Pellon - and it's only 22" wide!

noveltyjunkie 10-08-2010 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
. Even with the border crossing fees and the the 6% MI tax it is much cheaper.

They charge you to cross the border?!!!!!! To get out or to come in?

kathy 10-09-2010 09:41 AM

I buy mine at Hancock's and it's usually 4.99 or 5.99 yd

leiladylei54 10-09-2010 10:46 AM

Sounds expensive to me and that's someone who has to pay premium dollar living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Would Heat and Bond (sewable type) work and be cheaper???

AlienQuilter 10-09-2010 10:54 AM

I made one tote out of upholstery fabric and did not need any pellon or fusible fleece and it has very nice body to it.

Farm Quilter 10-09-2010 11:02 AM

Wonderunder - a brand like Pellon - is $2.60 a yard at my little local quilt shop. Sounds like they were really price gouging there!

Joanie Owen 10-09-2010 01:32 PM

Just bought 3 yards at Joann's today. 50% off so only $2.00 a yard. Pellon 809 Decor Bond firm iron-on backing with extra crispness. It 45 inchs wide.

cindle 10-09-2010 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
costumegirl wrote: The border is very close to me so I go to Joann's with coupons and it is a nice outing for the day. Even with the border crossing fees and the the 6% MI tax it is much cheaper.

You have to pay a Border crossing fee????? Wow. Never knew that. Is that to come INTO the US?[/quote]

It's usually when you come back over to Canada. I think when I came back over 2 weeks ago it was about $3.25 but it all depends if your driving a car thats what you pay if you are driving a truck it's more or a camper as well I think it cost per axle. And if you live in the states you pay before entering Canada. There are also tolls on some of the highways on the American side and I also pay $1.10 to cross the Grand Island bridge if I go to Amherst.

mac 10-09-2010 02:53 PM

[You have to pay a Border crossing fee????? Wow. Never knew that. Is that to come INTO the US?[/quote]

It's usually when you come back over to Canada. I think when I came back over 2 weeks ago it was about $3.25 but it all depends if your driving a car thats what you pay if you are driving a truck it's more or a camper as well I think it cost per axle. And if you live in the states you pay before entering Canada. There are also tolls on some of the highways on the American side and I also pay $1.10 to cross the Grand Island bridge if I go to Amherst.[/quote]

Seems like they get you coming and going.
Sales tax here in the San Francisco Bay Area is 9 1/4%. Paying almost 10% on top of the purchase for sales tax is more than crossing the bridges and countries. :(