Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it just me??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-me-t247908.html)

debbiemarie 06-05-2014 08:56 AM

I put a freshly made quilt on my coffee table at Christmas, it looked adorable there. I was horrified when my daughter in law sat down on the floor to eat on top of it!!! Thankfully no others followed suit.

DonnaPBradshaw 06-05-2014 11:21 AM

I have made two quilted tablecloths for special occasion. I love using them outside when the wind is a problem, the heavier quilted cloths seem to not flip up as much than the flimsy ones. I then make sure I wash them in cold water and spray any spots before washing. I also do not put them in the dryer. I chose black and white and black and yellow for the color scheme for the quilted tablecloths. I hate having tablecloths hanging in my lap so by making my own to fit the tables I can measure to the length I like.

Hope this all made sense.

MargeD 06-05-2014 01:16 PM

I think that using a quilt on top of a picnic table would be OK, if you place clear plastic over it. Every month, our Guild would have at least one quilt as a table topper for the "goodies", but it was always covered with a clear plastic sheet over it.

bakermom 06-05-2014 01:29 PM

Well, is it really any different than using a crocheted table cloth? Yes they both take a lot of time/effort but if it is being used as intended so what! I would rather have something used and worn out than hidden away

roserips 06-05-2014 05:46 PM

I guess I am really weird, I use quilts as table cloths, quilts to picnic on, comfort quilts to drag around and feel good. When I was young the quilt my grandma made me went everywhere with me, camping, sleep overs, where ever I went it went. I was 47 when it finally became the dogs rug years after grand daughter "borrowed" it to go home in. That quilt lasted 40 years of love and good memories. I would much rather have that than a quilt that sets on a shelf or hangs on the wall. I think that is why I love quilting so much. The love and care my grandmother put into that quilt is why I quilt today.

quiltingshorttimer 06-05-2014 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by roserips (Post 6746740)
I guess I am really weird, I use quilts as table cloths, quilts to picnic on, comfort quilts to drag around and feel good. When I was young the quilt my grandma made me went everywhere with me, camping, sleep overs, where ever I went it went. I was 47 when it finally became the dogs rug years after grand daughter "borrowed" it to go home in. That quilt lasted 40 years of love and good memories. I would much rather have that than a quilt that sets on a shelf or hangs on the wall. I think that is why I love quilting so much. The love and care my grandmother put into that quilt is why I quilt today.

That was one well loved quilt!
I use quilts as a table topper all the time. With just the 2 of us, it's less of an issue, although I have seen DH eating lunch with a newspaper under the plate of messy food! One thing I do frequently when the grands here is to flip the quilt over before I set it.

Digitabulist 06-06-2014 04:35 AM

when we had guests for dinner and I forgot all about a table cloth, I used my husband's quilt…..it's all plaids and looked great! Of course, when he walked in the room he almost choked, but I told him….it's washable - don't worry! Adults and young adults at the table with no spills or stains.

IBQUILTIN 06-06-2014 08:32 PM

I have some appliqued table toppers and some others that are pretty special, but they come off the table when food goes down. I have a lot of placemats that work well on picnic tables with just an old sheet underneath

JeanieG 06-07-2014 10:40 AM

I also have table toppers and quilts I use on my dining room and kitchen tables. My DH and I almost always eat at the bar, so they are used as decoration. If we want to eat at one of the tables, I just fold the topper/tablecloth up until we are done. The tablecloth I did not use batting. I just have a backing, which I stitched around the edges and turned. (Don't remember what that procedure is called - age calling :p.) Then I "quilted" it STID. It lays really flat that way.