Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is it just nature's way? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-natures-way-t201293.html)

Lori S 09-23-2012 06:06 AM

Is it just nature's way?

It's strange , now that the oppressive heat of summer is over ( and this year was a dosey). I am having this irresistable urge to stock up my stash. I have a stash that would last me more than this winter , and several more ... but for some reason I have been " stockpiling" more than typical .... anyone else having this sensation/craving/urge?? Is it just natures way that we build up supplies before winter? Is it possible to "over harvest"???

LTeachergeorge 09-23-2012 06:29 AM

Possibly an urge to "nest" expecting a rough winter this year...

Neesie 09-23-2012 06:59 AM

With the economy failing left and right, it's probably instinctive.

Caroline S 09-23-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5534890)
With the economy failing left and right, it's probably instinctive.

I have the same feeling as you Neesie. Can't get rid of the feeling that something BIG is pending. My freezers are full, I have been canning like crazy and my stash is still growing.

Jan in VA 09-23-2012 07:43 AM

I think this a is an exciting topic, to learn so many are 'feeling' the sense of 'something big' coming. As a Christian I believe in what that something is; it's interesting to find that it's a common 'knowing' though it may be among those who may not share the same theology.

There has also been a lot of press lately (for lack of anything else interesting??) on the "Mayan Calendar issue" supposedly due in December that may have people subconsciously in mind of looming crisis. Of course, with that one we needn't be buying more fabric if we're not going to be around to sew it up, huh!! Wonder if hiding under a huge stack of quilts would help us?:D

Jan in VA

crafty pat 09-23-2012 07:53 AM

I agree with you Jan. If what I feel is right I will not be here to use what I am stocking up on but maybe someone will find my stock pile useful.

Tartan 09-23-2012 09:10 AM

Fabic is extra insulation, right? That's my story and I' m sticking to it.:D

Pat M. 09-23-2012 09:50 AM

If your nest explodes you know you have to much!!

lynnie 09-23-2012 10:06 AM

Im stocking up today big sale at joanns. Archiologists in the future will only find fabric and little tykes stuff. That stuff ia indestructable. They'll all think we were 3 feet high and ate fabric.lol

Tashana 09-23-2012 10:17 AM

My husband got a bee in his bonnet to start stockpiling everything. I survived the civil war in my country and we had nothing, and I really mean nothing - food was scarce, no electricity or gas and planting a garden was dangerous and difficult because I lived in a city. We survived, our clothes was made on treadle machine from myriad of fabrics including curtains. I do not stress any more about stocking up since you cannot stock up for eternity. That being said, I do not need an excuse to stock on fabrics and batting. There is always space for a few more blenders or a roll or two of batting. My treadle machine is ready. Bring it on!