Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just not hungry... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-not-hungry-t286838.html)

RosMadeMe 03-16-2017 04:45 AM

Just not hungry...

OK, I have a great scrappy quilt top, I have designed the backing, I need to make the sandwich.

Can I? Can I buffalo! No, I just cannot build the appetite to make the sandwich. So I am putting down the challenge to complete it by Easter.

Am I the only one this happens to?

elly66 03-16-2017 04:53 AM

Nope. For me its a physical thing in making the sandwich so I find myself putting it off. It's always been the least fun thing about quilting for me.

feline fanatic 03-16-2017 04:53 AM

Nope. I hated making the sandwich with such a white hot passion. Now I frame quilt and don't need to worry about it. I can definitely sympathize with your dilemma. But the only way you will finish that quilt is to knuckle down and make the sandwich.

Tartan 03-16-2017 04:58 AM

Not fun but a necessary evil if you want to get it quilted.

joe'smom 03-16-2017 05:24 AM

I don't mind the sandwiching at all, now that I use the Sharon Schamber board method. But before that, it was absolutely grueling, so I can sympathize with you! Now my most hated quilting task (really the only thing I don't enjoy) is clipping threads on the back of the finished top.

Macybaby 03-16-2017 05:35 AM

I knew when I got back into quilting, that if I had to make "sandwiches" I'd never do it - having done a few ages ago when I was first married (30+ years ago).

So I bought a Bailey on a Gracie frame for about $3,000 and that solved the problem. I've upgraded to a HQ Fusion since. Though I have to admit I like piecing more than quilting - as evidence that I have over 20 floppies waiting to be quilted.

Doggramma 03-16-2017 06:29 AM

No, I have a number of tops that are sitting because the sandwich is my least favorite part.

Patricia Drew 03-16-2017 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7785193)
I don't mind the sandwiching at all, now that I use the Sharon Schamber board method. But before that, it was absolutely grueling, so I can sympathize with you! Now my most hated quilting task (really the only thing I don't enjoy) is clipping threads on the back of the finished top.

That's my experience too. Sharon Schamber's method is terrific. And the more you do it, the faster you get. Absolutely no tucks or wrinkles on the backing.

EasyPeezy 03-16-2017 08:58 AM

If I had to crawl on the floor I would probably delay the sandwiching indefinitely.
But using a few sawhorses and a piece of plywood covered with canvas, I don't
mind the sandwiching at all. I glue baste most of the time.

PaperPrincess 03-16-2017 09:08 AM

I also loathed preparing the quilt. It was a part of my decision to purchase a long arm. Don't know if there are any long arm quilters in your area, but many offer a quilt basting service for a nominal fee. You deliver the top, batting (wadding?) and back in 3 pieces and they put it together & baste it.