Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just not hungry...

Just not hungry...

OK, I have a great scrappy quilt top, I have designed the backing, I need to make the sandwich.

Can I? Can I buffalo! No, I just cannot build the appetite to make the sandwich. So I am putting down the challenge to complete it by Easter.

Am I the only one this happens to?

Nope. For me its a physical thing in making the sandwich so I find myself putting it off. It's always been the least fun thing about quilting for me.
    Erin

Nope. I hated making the sandwich with such a white hot passion. Now I frame quilt and don't need to worry about it. I can definitely sympathize with your dilemma. But the only way you will finish that quilt is to knuckle down and make the sandwich.

Power Poster
    Not fun but a necessary evil if you want to get it quilted.

I don't mind the sandwiching at all, now that I use the Sharon Schamber board method. But before that, it was absolutely grueling, so I can sympathize with you! Now my most hated quilting task (really the only thing I don't enjoy) is clipping threads on the back of the finished top.
    Lisa

I knew when I got back into quilting, that if I had to make "sandwiches" I'd never do it - having done a few ages ago when I was first married (30+ years ago).

So I bought a Bailey on a Gracie frame for about $3,000 and that solved the problem. I've upgraded to a HQ Fusion since. Though I have to admit I like piecing more than quilting - as evidence that I have over 20 floppies waiting to be quilted.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

No, I have a number of tops that are sitting because the sandwich is my least favorite part.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
    I don't mind the sandwiching at all, now that I use the Sharon Schamber board method. But before that, it was absolutely grueling, so I can sympathize with you! Now my most hated quilting task (really the only thing I don't enjoy) is clipping threads on the back of the finished top.
    That's my experience too. Sharon Schamber's method is terrific. And the more you do it, the faster you get. Absolutely no tucks or wrinkles on the backing.

If I had to crawl on the floor I would probably delay the sandwiching indefinitely.
    But using a few sawhorses and a piece of plywood covered with canvas, I don't
    mind the sandwiching at all. I glue baste most of the time.

Blog Entries
    I also loathed preparing the quilt. It was a part of my decision to purchase a long arm. Don't know if there are any long arm quilters in your area, but many offer a quilt basting service for a nominal fee. You deliver the top, batting (wadding?) and back in 3 pieces and they put it together & baste it.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Once I switched to using my cutting table to sandwich and using 505 I found that I really don't mind.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Patricia, thanks for mentioning Sharon Schamber. I looked her up on YouTube and learned something new. She said you could use her technique with any size quilt. I don't think I could lift the boards on a large quilt. She said the boards need to be larger than the backing. I might try it on a smaller quilt in the future.
    Lisa

I don't mind at all since I switched to Elmers washable school glue. Goes very fast and I've never had a ripple to worry about.
    Alyce

It's amazing to me how many frame quilters, myself included, made the switch because we hated basting the quilt sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaMS View Post
    Patricia, thanks for mentioning Sharon Schamber. I looked her up on YouTube and learned something new. She said you could use her technique with any size quilt. I don't think I could lift the boards on a large quilt. She said the boards need to be larger than the backing. I might try it on a smaller quilt in the future.
    Hi Lisa, The boards are not really that heavy, even after you've rolled up the top or the backing. My boards are: 2.5 in. x 3/4 in. x 8 ft. long. I work on a makeshift table in the basement. It consists of two sheets of plywood taped together and supported by saw horses. After the top is rolled up, I sort of push it to the back of the table,I don't actually lift it. Then I work on the backing. When both boards are rolled up, I position them in place without actually lifting them completely off the table.

Your idea of trying the method on a smaller quilt is a good one. I'm sure you'll like it.

I love everything about quilting. I sandwiched two small quilts today. I sometimes make two and quilt them one after another. I will totally finish these two before I start any more. Donating these quilts and more to kids that must be removed from their homes.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I used to pin baste my quilt sandwiches & having a really painful back, it was not fun! I'm always looking for ways to make things easier. Now that I've found June Taylor spray baste which I can use in the same room as my bird without any problems, & I've learned to use a long cardboard tube from a roll of poly batting to roll the layers slowly as I spray the fabrics/batting, it's now a quick & simple project & I don't dread it any more. I sandwich it, let it dry over night and quilt without a problem. No dodging pins, it stays together even when I squabble it up to push it through the machine as I'm quilting & now I love everything about quilting!! :-)

Blog Entries
    I always believed that I "HATED" making the sandwich so I have TONS of unquilted tops in a pile. Recently I came to terms with my fear of Free-motion Quilting and I am now doing much better in the quilting department. As soon as I overcame that fear, I was just rearing to get going and to do so I needed a sandwich. I had that puppy basted in no time flat. Turns out that I was using the dislike of making the sandwich as an excuse to keep me from quilting.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

That is why I ended up with a longarm.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    It's not my favorite part of the quilting process, but I know I'm almost there when it comes to sandwich...I love the feeling of finishing a quilt.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

My friend does my quilts on her LA. Thank goodness!! I'd never get my tops done on my own.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Blog Entries
    You're not alone. I take my backing, backing and pieced top (flimsy) to my LAer. He sandwiches it, quilts it, trims it, calls me, and I give him a check. He doesn't charge extra for all that. Some folks might think I'm cheating, but this way it gets the quilt done. Binding is something I enjoy, so it comes home and gets DONE! :-)
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    You're not alone. I take my backing, backing and pieced top (flimsy) to my LAer. He sandwiches it, quilts it, trims it, calls me, and I give him a check. He doesn't charge extra for all that. Some folks might think I'm cheating, but this way it gets the quilt done. Binding is something I enjoy, so it comes home and gets DONE! :-)
    That is the way I do it. I love to design and piece a Quilt top and I even have started enjoying hand sewing my bindings down but quilting is not my thing. My frind is a LAer and does it for me as well. She does a fabulous job and my quilts get finished! I do wall hangings and table toppers myself though by using straight lines designs and stitch in the ditch

When I first started quilting, I told myself that all the steps that goes with quilting is nice to do. So I don't freak out if I have to rip a ton of stuff out or make a sandwich. As someone said, attitude is everything.
    Penny

I, too, loathe the sandwiching and basting process. My fingers are sore right now from basting a quilt a few days ago. I will tell you that using a ping pong table has helped.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast