Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What attributes does a really great scrappy have?

What attributes does a really great scrappy have?

I'm in process of making "Cobblestone" scrappy quilt and am using a variety of prints from brights and geometrics to calicos to civil war era. this just feels odds to me. Most of the quilts I see online utilize what I think might be current fabrics across a line or lines. They look nice. I don't see many that include just every color of every type of print and wondering w/ all the work involved, if I'm going to even like it! I've got a lot of time in cutting the units and only a little sewing - I'm using up to 4-5 of same print and thinking that may be too many for a "scrappy"? well, as you can see i'm confused and yes, i know its "my" quilt but i'm looking to hear what you strive for (if anything) ..such as guidelines for a happy end product.
    mea

Blog Entries
    I think that many quilters are drawn to certain colors or lines of fabric. I think that is why their scraps may be more cohesive. That's not the way I roll. I collect scraps from many sources and have a stash collected over many years. I think that is why my scrappies are more varied in fabrics. Here are two of my latest http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t286754.html and http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t286703.html
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I agree with QuiltnNan. I look at my stash & I have lots of cool colors, earth tones & for some reason reds. No yellow, orange or pink or purple. So my quilts (and scraps) sort of are within a few color groupings. Folks, however, do give me scraps, which round out the color wheel. I personally like controlled scrappies where one or two fabrics are repeated in each block. Also, when I make a scrap quilt, I do lay out and arrange the blocks. Blocks that stick out color-wise are dealt with in 2 ways. I either remove the blocks or make additional blocks with the 'offending' color/fabric and sprinkle more of them thru out the quilt to distribute the color.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    If it feels wrong to you , change it until it feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    If it feels wrong to you , change it until it feels right.
    ^^^^^^ What bear said
    Patrice S

I would just try to spread out the different fabrics so I didn't end up with one side being the Civil War fabrics and the other side being modern prints. In other words, make sure they are mixed up.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

To answer your question: Lots and lots of different fabrics!
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would lay it out on a design wall (or bed, or floor), and see how it looks. If you like it, go for it!

When I make scrappy quilts, I like to group the colours to make it a bit more cohesive. I searched for Cobblestone quilts, but there are a lot of different patterns by that name, so I'm not sure what yours is like. If the pieces are assembled into blocks, try making each block out of different fabrics in the same colour.

I like the the look of different types of print (civil war, modern,etc) together in the same quilt. Don't let other people's quilts deter you from making your own!

I just sewed plain or nearly plain squares to about 100 of the 240 units and I now notice the pictured quilt has low volume prints in those lighter squares!! that may be what appealed to me or a part of it. so now i'm scrambling to toss in some of those. I like the idea of more is better, laying it out and removing the ones that offend. having the low-volume prints mixed in i think would help the scrappy feel and help me resist trying to "match" ...i want it to "clash in a good way". Its fun reading everyone's preferences on these types of quilts. I've not really ever seen a bad one anyway. Oh! And the tumblers are GREAT!! I'm now feeling more secure in forging ahead w/ my scraps and resisting the urge to control it which is for me VERY difficult!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-16-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: link provided requires sign up
    mea

To me, the best looking scrappiest are 'controlled' scrappies---they have have something that ties them together in a broad look. For example, they are primarily dark jewel tones, or light pastels, or bright primary colors. I guess the type or style of print doesn't matter as much as the overall color theme. I have just never been able to put a "true random" scrappy quilt together.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Another thing to look for is good value contrast, so your pattern shows up.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Blog Entries
    A successful scrappy often has a broad range of fabrics, contrast in values makes them dramatic. I don't worry about any particular ( line/style/type) of fabric I make sure I have lights, mediums and darks to create movement and drama. Some people prefer ( controlled scrappy) but I use all the scraps I have, regardless. I've made great scrap quilts with batiks, 1800's reproductions, fairy frost, novelties, flannels, anything and everything. They are some of our favorite quilts.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    To answer your question: Lots and lots of different fabrics!
    yes!! someone recently posted several quilts she had made using her huge assortment of scraps. they were all veritable melting pots of fabric colors/styles/brands ..and each and every quilt was beautiful & unique. i saved a couple of pics ..but i will try to find the post and share here. it will take me a while, i don't seem to do too well with searching the board 😏
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

This same topic has been discussed many times on this forum and I always enjoy reading what others think about scrap quilts. Purists define a scrap quilt as a quilt that is made intentionally to use leftover fabric scraps from other sewing and quilting projects. On the other hand a scrappy look can be achieved by using several or many fabrics from a particular fabric line. The choice is up to the quilter. I for one love scrap quilts in the purists form. To each his own.

The scrappy quilts that I like the best are the ones with lots of fabrics -- doesn't if it is one line or just a bunch of fabrics from all kinds of lines. However, for me the best have the pattern defined by high contrast. I am not drawn to quilts where a lot of the what should be high contrast fabrics include a lot of mediums as either the "darks" or "lights" because that muddies the pattern.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I make scrappy quilts a lot. Mine are usually strip pieced, so it makes no difference how the colors go. But if I'm making a scrappy. Quilt with squares I try to keep similar colors away from each other. That's just me. I say do your own thing, if you like it great,,if not give it to charity. They can give it away and people love them.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

Sounds like you are now enjoying the look of your random scrappy, which is good. Sometimes it has to "grow on you" as you construct it if it's (to use a cliche) outside your comfort zone.

Putting your plains in there helps tone down the busyness, I'm sure. As long as the plain colors also contrast with their neighbor, it shouldn't matter too much what fabric style the scraps are.

I'm making a beach quilt with (2.5 " wide x Random length ) strips leftover from each quilt I make. It's either gonna be ugly or fabulous, but it'll remind me of every quilt I made and person I made them for. Normally I like to pick a multicolored focus fabric and use scraps in those colors to go with it. Other times I just put on my crazy panties and run with the bulls!

Zozee
    I loved that last sentence of yours. Made me laugh out loud. Had to read your words to my husband. He laughed too.

Scrappies are my favourite...having said that I do have some control mostly by using a "common" fabric in each block throughout which seems to bring it all together.

Have a "play" before sewing and let us know what you decide.

I make scrappies to donate. I am always happy with the end results. I have made controlled scrappies, some not so controlled. They always look nice and are warm.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

No one has mentioned this thread so I'll throw it out here. It's a long-running thread of scrap quilts. Maybe seeing a lot of them will help you decide what you like best about them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html

BTW my favorite scrappies are the Everything-including-the-kitchen-sink kind.

Blog Entries
    My scraps all tend to be earth tones. I recently made a scrappie and was a little worried that the few brights I included would look out of place. When I got it all out together it was the brights that made it sparkle. Going outside your comfort zone can be a good thing. At the very least you'll learn what you don't like.

Whether it's a scrappy quilt, bag or table runner, the scrappy look to me has something that unifies it: a single background fabric or maybe a consistent color scheme (like blue & white) or an overall theme (maybe Kaffe or Civil War). Also, try to include as many different fabrics as possible and scatter pieces of the same fabric throughout the project instead of having them close to each other.

I'm an "everything but the kitchen sink" kind of girl! Only thing the scrap has to be cotton (with an occasional cotton/polyester blend that just sneaks under the presser foot from the scrap bag/box/bin.)

Blog Entries
    Oh heck, I even "include the kitchen sink"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast