Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just A Sewing Fool (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-sewing-fool-t296738.html)

mhollifiel 05-07-2018 04:17 AM

Boston! Good on YOU! I have a stack of 6 1/2" x 2 1/2" logs from scraps and odd 2 1/2" WOF strips. After charity bee this morning, the rest of my day will follow your very good example. You inspire me!

SillySusan 05-07-2018 04:30 AM

Wow! Wonderful! I've been cutting squares non-stop for the past 2 weeks to get some control of stash.... but can't see even a dent in the piles. I'll be at it again today. It must be so nice to see progress. Sigh, sigh! :)

Homespun 05-07-2018 05:17 AM

I like to do mindless sewing sometimes! I have a small gift bag full of sewn together 2" squares. will make another quilt someday!

jmoore 05-07-2018 05:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I keep a bin of 2 1/2 inch squares next to my sewing machine for ender/leaders and, like Boston, sometimes I just keep sewing them into four patches...

this is my second Arkansas Roads quilt in progress. [ATTACH=CONFIG]594078[/ATTACH]

pal 05-07-2018 05:46 AM

I take scraps, approx. 2" squares, right sides together, put them under my sewing foot and make an upside down "U" freehand.
Five of the same fabric makes a flower. Back fabric doesn't have to match.
Cut them out with pinking shears, turn them right side out, running stitch the bottom closed, pull tight and tie off. Put 5 together, button or pom pom in the center, add a few felt leaves. They look cute on stuffed animals, pencil, anything!
No thinking, scrap busting, take along project, no cost. winner/winner!

sharin'Sharon 05-07-2018 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven (Post 8053500)
Well, there is an easier way (20" x 2 1/2"). Take (20" x 2 1/2") of red fabric, (20" x 2 1/2") of blue fabric, (20" x 2 1/2")of green fabric, (20" x 2 1/2") yellow fabric, (20" x 2 1/2"), pink fabric (20" x 2 1/2")" and then sew side by side and you will end of with a block and then cut the strips of by 2 1/2" and you will end up with 8 strips with all the colors in this bunch and then next another bunch (rather than sewing them all 2 1/2" one by one). Just a suggestion.

Your way may be a quicker way to go, but I continue to do it the hard way (like Boston1954) even with new fabric; sewing the individual squares BECAUSE I like to back stitch the beginning and end of EVERY seam to eliminate the stitching coming apart. I know the renowned quilters (ex: Eleanor Burns) sews strips together and then subcuts into the squares needed (assembly line sewing), but after doing that on a rail fence quilt many years ago, I ended up restitching every seam after handling all the pieces for a queen size quilt. I don't believe that the seam is secure if another seam crosses over it. If the quilt is for display only and not used may be okay but my friend's sister made quilts for twin grandchildren and when babysitting with them now and then one of the twins would forget their quilt at home and then they played tug-of-war with the 'other' quilt and grandma had to restitch the seams closed MANY times because backstitching of the seams was not done when the quilt was made. I know my way takes longer, but I want them to hold together. That's my way and I'm sticking to it. LOL

sinceresissy 05-08-2018 03:10 AM

I like to do it Boston's way too. And guess what? Sometimes I take a 2-1/2 template square and trace and cut my smaller scraps because I can do that sitting not standing. It reverts back to childhood when I use to cut out hearts to make valentines. Most relaxing and I'm not really in a hurry. I do like my cutting mat and rotary cutter but sometimes I need to sit.

Sew Freak 05-08-2018 03:12 AM

can't wait to see it!!!

momsbusy 05-08-2018 06:35 AM

I’m looking forward to seeing your project. I still have lots of squares left over from making watercolor quilts a long time ago.

wildyard 05-08-2018 11:00 AM

I have a shoe holder, plastic type that hangs on the back of a door, and all the pockets are filled with fabrics from deconstructing clothing.
Your idea is inspiring to me too. I want to start selecting the fabrics that will go together in a quilt and cutting them into squares.
I could just do all the fabrics, but I feel like I want to do controlled scrappy for this project! I can always mix all the leftovers at the end for truly scrappy!