Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just A Sewing Fool

Just A Sewing Fool

The other day I got out my batik scrap box and cut a bunch of 2.5 inch squares. I mean a bunch. Yesterday I paired them up and started chain piecing. Last night, while watching television, I cut and counted. Wow! There are 366 little pairs. I did not even stop for lunch.

They will become part of my next project, a sixteen patch - all scraps.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    I love that kind of mindless sewing. therapeutic!!!

Well, there is an easier way (20" x 2 1/2"). Take (20" x 2 1/2") of red fabric, (20" x 2 1/2") of blue fabric, (20" x 2 1/2")of green fabric, (20" x 2 1/2") yellow fabric, (20" x 2 1/2"), pink fabric (20" x 2 1/2")" and then sew side by side and you will end of with a block and then cut the strips of by 2 1/2" and you will end up with 8 strips with all the colors in this bunch and then next another bunch (rather than sewing them all 2 1/2" one by one). Just a suggestion.
    Busy in Ohio

Sorry, but these are all scraps, and many are just about 6 inches or so.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I find it more satisfying (and more accurate) doing them as individal squares.
    Have fun with your scraps

You inspire me to start cutting my scraps. 2 1/2" is the smallest I'll consider. A sewing fool? I have housework to do, a slipcover to make and a dog to walk, but my son's quilt is so close to having all the rows built that I can't stop.

Good Job! I use my 2.5 batik squares in placemats. Scrappy, colorful and easy to do. I pillowcase them so I don't have to add binding and great practice quilting pieces.

I may end up sewing them each as I have some and will probably end up with more. Been working with scraps for a year or more.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Kind of a stress-relief exercise, and you have something to show off in the end.

I keep boxes of 2" and 2.5" squares for just these times - when I want to sew but not think too much. I also keep triangles and make HSTs once in a while. I can always cut them to size when I want to use them.

Blog Entries
    Boston! Good on YOU! I have a stack of 6 1/2" x 2 1/2" logs from scraps and odd 2 1/2" WOF strips. After charity bee this morning, the rest of my day will follow your very good example. You inspire me!

Wow! Wonderful! I've been cutting squares non-stop for the past 2 weeks to get some control of stash.... but can't see even a dent in the piles. I'll be at it again today. It must be so nice to see progress. Sigh, sigh!

I like to do mindless sewing sometimes! I have a small gift bag full of sewn together 2" squares. will make another quilt someday!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Blog Entries
    I keep a bin of 2 1/2 inch squares next to my sewing machine for ender/leaders and, like Boston, sometimes I just keep sewing them into four patches...

this is my second Arkansas Roads quilt in progress. Name:  6EC0F21D-EE55-4C45-8709-E087284B5C6D.jpeg
Views: 1691
Size:  241.0 KB
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

pal
    I take scraps, approx. 2" squares, right sides together, put them under my sewing foot and make an upside down "U" freehand.
    Five of the same fabric makes a flower. Back fabric doesn't have to match.
    Cut them out with pinking shears, turn them right side out, running stitch the bottom closed, pull tight and tie off. Put 5 together, button or pom pom in the center, add a few felt leaves. They look cute on stuffed animals, pencil, anything!
    No thinking, scrap busting, take along project, no cost. winner/winner!
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
    Well, there is an easier way (20" x 2 1/2"). Take (20" x 2 1/2") of red fabric, (20" x 2 1/2") of blue fabric, (20" x 2 1/2")of green fabric, (20" x 2 1/2") yellow fabric, (20" x 2 1/2"), pink fabric (20" x 2 1/2")" and then sew side by side and you will end of with a block and then cut the strips of by 2 1/2" and you will end up with 8 strips with all the colors in this bunch and then next another bunch (rather than sewing them all 2 1/2" one by one). Just a suggestion.
    Your way may be a quicker way to go, but I continue to do it the hard way (like Boston1954) even with new fabric; sewing the individual squares BECAUSE I like to back stitch the beginning and end of EVERY seam to eliminate the stitching coming apart. I know the renowned quilters (ex: Eleanor Burns) sews strips together and then subcuts into the squares needed (assembly line sewing), but after doing that on a rail fence quilt many years ago, I ended up restitching every seam after handling all the pieces for a queen size quilt. I don't believe that the seam is secure if another seam crosses over it. If the quilt is for display only and not used may be okay but my friend's sister made quilts for twin grandchildren and when babysitting with them now and then one of the twins would forget their quilt at home and then they played tug-of-war with the 'other' quilt and grandma had to restitch the seams closed MANY times because backstitching of the seams was not done when the quilt was made. I know my way takes longer, but I want them to hold together. That's my way and I'm sticking to it. LOL

I like to do it Boston's way too. And guess what? Sometimes I take a 2-1/2 template square and trace and cut my smaller scraps because I can do that sitting not standing. It reverts back to childhood when I use to cut out hearts to make valentines. Most relaxing and I'm not really in a hurry. I do like my cutting mat and rotary cutter but sometimes I need to sit.

can't wait to see it!!!

I’m looking forward to seeing your project. I still have lots of squares left over from making watercolor quilts a long time ago.

I have a shoe holder, plastic type that hangs on the back of a door, and all the pockets are filled with fabrics from deconstructing clothing.
    Your idea is inspiring to me too. I want to start selecting the fabrics that will go together in a quilt and cutting them into squares.
    I could just do all the fabrics, but I feel like I want to do controlled scrappy for this project! I can always mix all the leftovers at the end for truly scrappy!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Sinceresissy I have an old wooden cutting board about 13" by 9" I believe, I put my 18" cutting mat on top while sitting on the couch with a bad foot and used my cutter and cut about 100 3 1/2" H's. (All scrappy). My foot is better but I still cut some that way if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
    Sinceresissy I have an old wooden cutting board about 13" by 9" I believe, I put my 18" cutting mat on top while sitting on the couch with a bad foot and used my cutter and cut about 100 3 1/2" H's. (All scrappy). My foot is better but I still cut some that way if I need to.
    I need to try this for days my fibromyalgia doesn't let me stand at the cutting dresser! I never thought I'd have enough arm strength to do it sitting, but with my new Martelli Ergo cutters I bet I could!!! Thanks for the suggestion!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

You are most welcome wildyard. You know what they say "necessity is the mother of invention". If you gotta quilt you gotta find a way.

Boston, I can't wait to see it!!!!!!!!
    I don't usually save scraps but I have some right now from a couple of other projects. I should give that a whirl.
    I love mindless sewing!
    And I love seeing your creations

You rock, girl!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast