Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just Sliced My Finger (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-sliced-my-finger-t214247.html)

barney 02-21-2013 04:25 AM

I only use the omnigrid rotary cutter which closes automatically without rather intense pressure so it really limits the danger of cutting yourself.

janbland 02-21-2013 05:22 AM

I did that last Monday. My stepson was in the Studio talking to me and I wasn't paying attention until I felt the ouchie. It didn't need stitches but it bled like a stuck pig. Gotta remember to get some bandaids for the Studio.

sewnsewer2 02-21-2013 05:47 AM

OUCH!! I hope you don't need stitches!

GammaLou 02-21-2013 05:48 AM

So sorry about your accident!! I didn't close my cutter and it fell on my foot. I had quite a cut on the side of my big toe. It did take a long time to heal too. I don't think they make gloves for feet, but maybe I should wear shoes. ;(

mjhaess 02-21-2013 06:13 AM

Clean your wound good and put a pressure dressing on it. Those darn rotery cutters are sharp...and yes it happens to all of us at least once....

Lee in Richmond 02-21-2013 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl (Post 5873044)
I'm a member of the club now! Does that make me a real quilter? :) I have spent the day cutting yardage into 5" squares. I was on the very last strip cutting the last five groups of squares and sliced right into my index finger. Not sure if it needs stitches. My daughter is a nurse and is sleeping because she works tonight. I'll check with her.

Worrying about doing this (I also have a bad habit of leaving my rotary cutter "open") I ordered those thingys that you put on top of a ruler to keep your fingers safe, that attach with suction cups. I have found them useless so far. . is it because the brand of cutter I use has a nut that projects too far? I find I have to put the guide on too far from the edge of the ruler.

running1 02-21-2013 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo (Post 5873235)
Ouch! Do make sure your tetanus shot is up to date. I know they used to say you only had to worry if it's a rusty nail or something, but I recently cut myself on a broken Pyrex dish and my doctor gave me a tetanus shot just to be safe (I was about 15 years out of date).

If your tetanus booster is more than 2-3 years old and you suffer a deep cut or a puncture wound (they are hard to clean out), you probably should get the booster shot... The bacteria that cause tetanus are ubiquitous.

Delta 02-21-2013 06:37 AM

welcome to the club. My neighbor just super glued mine back on. she glued just the top and wrapped it up really good. :thumbup:

Homespun 02-21-2013 06:51 AM

I'm in the club also. A month ago I cut a piece out of the side of my left index finger cutting scraps into usable pieces! Took 7 stitches. Almost healed; still real sensitive!

Caswews 02-21-2013 07:58 AM

LOL welcome to the club, alot of that going around for sure ...