Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just wondering..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-wondering-t185670.html)

crafty pat 04-11-2012 07:39 AM

When I get like that I leave it for awhile and do some of the other things I enjoy doing. After awhile I do something simple then find a fabric and pattern that makes me excited to get going again.

Sweeterthanwine 04-11-2012 08:07 AM

I have collected so many patterns that I would like to make, that my drawers a full of books, printed out pattern, and some I have collected from the quilt store where they give away free pattern sheets....I won't live long enough to do them all, but I can dream. Right now I have a baby quilt I'm working on, a queen size quilt for my granddaughter and several small wall hangings. Whew - not enough time to do them all. Keeps me busy though.

Raggiemom 04-11-2012 04:09 PM

I would work on something small and different, how about a purse? And often, this is when I clean out my sewing room and have a sale!

hopetoquilt 04-11-2012 04:15 PM

Make a plan and break things down into smaller steps. Line up the patterns you want to do. Prioritize and pick maybe 4 (or whatever # works for you) and set up a box for each one. put the pattern in and start dropping fabric in. There... 2 steps done. When you have all the fabric set, you are ready to go when the mood hits.

lfstamper 04-11-2012 04:25 PM

I decided to organize my stash and start the Bonnie Hunter Leader and Enders. Then I added a paper pieced project in to that. It helps me not to focus on just one thing when I don't have a deadline on something. Take a break if you need it and you will come back strong!

momto5 04-11-2012 05:13 PM

I think everyone goes through some form of this when they finish a project, so you're not unusual by any means. Just give yourself a few days to level off from the last quilt until you start the next one and you should be fine. Or, as suggested, do a few small things just so you feel like you're still "working". I do this a lot, but I got a bonus last year when I had only a couple of days when that happened...the rest of the time I quilted and pieced like a house on fire! Good luck however you deal with it!

redmadder 04-11-2012 05:28 PM

I have a list of ten. It has UFOs, wanna do's, and promises. When I finish one, it gets marked off and add another one to the bottom. Never at a loss as to what to do next. I try not to make promises and finish the UFOs so only wanna do's end up on the list.

Grandma Peg 04-11-2012 05:47 PM

If I have a quilt that was hard or just took everything out of me, need to take a break from sewing. Then maybe do something small or something super simple that required no figuring and/or thinking.

Becky Crafts 04-12-2012 04:50 AM

I just finished four wolf wall hangings for our son. Big undertaking, extremely detailed & I had to do a few small projects to keep me going on them! They are finally done & gone & I'm waiting for a response from him when he sees them. Now I'm just doing a couple of blocks, then a table runner & then apparently a "moon glow" quilt from Jinny Beyer for DH!

Hemlock Tea 04-12-2012 05:03 AM

I have tons of patterns I want to do- purchased and free patterns and ideas from blogs, etc. I go through them regularly and think about what's in my stash that would work, or maybe a fabric line I really like and need an excuse to buy. When I think I have most of what I need for a certain pattern, I will "commit" to it by pulling the fabric and cutting it into strips, etc., whatever the project calls for. I also make sure I get whatever else I need for the project (backing, etc). I put all of this together into a project box with the pattern. That way I have a project ready to go when I need it, and more fabric out of my stash. It helps to go through my patterns regularly- I look at them over and over and think about them with different fabric, and any I fall out of love with get culled. I'm the kind of person that has to have a bunch of different things to work on all at once- I cycle through them regularly. Some are longer term (hand-piecing a Farmer's Wife and EPP hexagons). It keeps me from getting sick of any one project. Everything I'm working on has its own project box, and everything goes back into that box if I shift to something else. I never promise others a quilt. I make quilts for others, but I rarely tell them- it keeps the pressure off as to when I have to have it finished by :D