Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering.....

Blog Entries

Just wondering.....

Did you ever have so many quilt patterns that you'd like to make, that you just don't know where to start? I'm kinda at this point. I just finished a monstrosity that just seemed to pull all the wind out of my sails and I just can't get going on another one. Has anybodyelse ever felt this way? What did you do for it?Help me here!! I'm sinking.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    I do something small and easy in between...let's my brain recharge for something larger and more difficult.

I am a great one for collecting patterns and ideas (not fabric so much - I am not a "stasher") and then being very low producing. But, the collecting part is fun for me too.

Take a break!! :-) I usually end up doing some cleaning/organizing and get out of the house a bit and then I feel like starting something else. I think there is a bit of a "crash" after accomplishing a big task. Enjoy being done and it won't be long and you will be looking at your list again!!

It seems when ever I finish a large project , I need to "cleanse my brain " and do a few smaller one night type of things, typically done with scraps from other projects. Cleaning my sewing room also helps to cleanse.
    I too have more fabric and patterns then I can complete in ...well a very long time. It easy to get stuck in "which one" ! Give your brain the breather it earned !On some level its telling you your not "up" for another big project just yet. So make a few potholders,try a new technique , just play for a bit .

Oh Yes!! I know how you feel. When I get to that point I usually make a little project, like a runner or baby quilt. Just enuf to catch my breath!! I will never get thru all the quilts on my list, so once in a while I will prioritize my list. Other times I just need a few work free days..This too will pass

Power Poster
    It sounds like we all do the same thing. After a big project, I do a few little ones. I like to work at several big projects at once and I find 3 to be my ideal number. Enough so I don't get bored with any one project as I switched between the 3 but not too many that they become UFO's

I think you should work on something small.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

I just had this conversation with myself this morning , I decided that was going to pull out all the patterns I have bought through the years which for me is not many probably like 8 I think and since I'm working on working through my stash I'm going to make every single one. I invested between 7-9 dollars in each pattern and at most I could probably get 5 back so I'm just going to make them so i know I used them!

Now all the free patterns that i have ideas and materials for I'll do them eventually. I have four in line right now. Think that's just the way quilters are always planning ahead lol
    *Rachel*

I'm constantly in this mode. As soon as I finish a project my brain freezes up and I have trouble starting another. I'm much better at finishing than at starting. The good part of that is no UFO's; the bad part is obvious. I just finished a PP top, and I have that and several comfort quilts from the guild to go on the longarm. When all the quilting is done I need to have a decision made - which quilt is next?

When I get like that I leave it for awhile and do some of the other things I enjoy doing. After awhile I do something simple then find a fabric and pattern that makes me excited to get going again.

I have collected so many patterns that I would like to make, that my drawers a full of books, printed out pattern, and some I have collected from the quilt store where they give away free pattern sheets....I won't live long enough to do them all, but I can dream. Right now I have a baby quilt I'm working on, a queen size quilt for my granddaughter and several small wall hangings. Whew - not enough time to do them all. Keeps me busy though.

I would work on something small and different, how about a purse? And often, this is when I clean out my sewing room and have a sale!
    Heather

Make a plan and break things down into smaller steps. Line up the patterns you want to do. Prioritize and pick maybe 4 (or whatever # works for you) and set up a box for each one. put the pattern in and start dropping fabric in. There... 2 steps done. When you have all the fabric set, you are ready to go when the mood hits.

I decided to organize my stash and start the Bonnie Hunter Leader and Enders. Then I added a paper pieced project in to that. It helps me not to focus on just one thing when I don't have a deadline on something. Take a break if you need it and you will come back strong!
    Linda

I think everyone goes through some form of this when they finish a project, so you're not unusual by any means. Just give yourself a few days to level off from the last quilt until you start the next one and you should be fine. Or, as suggested, do a few small things just so you feel like you're still "working". I do this a lot, but I got a bonus last year when I had only a couple of days when that happened...the rest of the time I quilted and pieced like a house on fire! Good luck however you deal with it!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I have a list of ten. It has UFOs, wanna do's, and promises. When I finish one, it gets marked off and add another one to the bottom. Never at a loss as to what to do next. I try not to make promises and finish the UFOs so only wanna do's end up on the list.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Power Poster
    If I have a quilt that was hard or just took everything out of me, need to take a break from sewing. Then maybe do something small or something super simple that required no figuring and/or thinking.

I just finished four wolf wall hangings for our son. Big undertaking, extremely detailed & I had to do a few small projects to keep me going on them! They are finally done & gone & I'm waiting for a response from him when he sees them. Now I'm just doing a couple of blocks, then a table runner & then apparently a "moon glow" quilt from Jinny Beyer for DH!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I have tons of patterns I want to do- purchased and free patterns and ideas from blogs, etc. I go through them regularly and think about what's in my stash that would work, or maybe a fabric line I really like and need an excuse to buy. When I think I have most of what I need for a certain pattern, I will "commit" to it by pulling the fabric and cutting it into strips, etc., whatever the project calls for. I also make sure I get whatever else I need for the project (backing, etc). I put all of this together into a project box with the pattern. That way I have a project ready to go when I need it, and more fabric out of my stash. It helps to go through my patterns regularly- I look at them over and over and think about them with different fabric, and any I fall out of love with get culled. I'm the kind of person that has to have a bunch of different things to work on all at once- I cycle through them regularly. Some are longer term (hand-piecing a Farmer's Wife and EPP hexagons). It keeps me from getting sick of any one project. Everything I'm working on has its own project box, and everything goes back into that box if I shift to something else. I never promise others a quilt. I make quilts for others, but I rarely tell them- it keeps the pressure off as to when I have to have it finished by
    QMFAO

Blog Entries
    Yes I do and I usually end up doing my own thing instead of one of the lovely patterns I have, lol
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    Yes yes yes! I'm having great difficulty putting a pattern with fabrics I've already collected.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I am working on Sylvia's Bridal Sampler and when I am finished with a large quilt project, I do a few blocks for the sampler. It is always there ready to work on and each block is a quick with nice results. Don't know what I'll do when that one is complete....maybe a Dear Jane!!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I just fininsed that New York Beauty and it was very intense, so now I feel drained, but I am working on a simple log cabin, I must admit that it is not a challenge so I am slow on the uptake

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I do something small and easy in between...let's my brain recharge for something larger and more difficult.
    I agree. Make a hot pad or a small tote bag or placemats. Something you can see the end of in a little bit of time. You should be inspired with completing something and ready to go on. We've all been there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast