Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just wondering.....

I usually make something smaller after a large project and sometimes its just for me. I have a little wire quilt rack and make 8 x 10 baby quilts some call them doll quilts for it by the season or just to change. Its lots of fun. It would also include a baby quilt because I make some small ones (36 x 36) they are great when babies are small and then go to the car seat or stroller without hanging clear to the floor/ground.

Don't SINK !

After a big project I need to chill out and that's the perfect time for me to make a bunch of string blocks from my scraps. I sort of coordinate the colors and rows but perfect matching and perfect seams aren't the goal, just some quick and easy sewing. The blocks may look ugly while being assembled but when they are all trimmed to size they look great. I also don't have the stress of making them into a quilt - as I donate them to HeartStrings charity quilt group.

If I get overwhelmed, I typically just do something mindless, like sewing 1.5" strips together to make a scrappy quilt. It is easy, no stress, and helps me feel like I'm using up something others would throw away!

And take a break--go outside, garden, etc. Also, making a list on paper (not just your mind) and then prioritize which ones you would really like to do and not just possibly do someday.

I am with you stitchnripper.... I have an enormous amount of patterns... not so much fabric.... tons of ideas..... some motivation... mostly when a gift is needed or a baby is on the way....

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I am a great one for collecting patterns and ideas (not fabric so much - I am not a "stasher") and then being very low producing. But, the collecting part is fun for me too.

Between all the fabric I have bought from you and the patterns I get on the web, I just do not know where to start, but really enjoyed the relaxation and mindless work of the 4 panel quilt I made recently....just a thought..
    hopingtobegood

I usually just sit and look at my patterns until one calls my name

I have been there several times. I will go into my scrap pile and piece some small items. Tablerunners-Potholders-placemats. You know what I mean. After a few of these small things I am ready for another big one.

yes i am that way , i have all my "to do s" in a certain spot on my book shelf and when i am ready to start another quilt and dont have anything else in mind i just close my eyes and pick one of the books with a bookmark in it and work on that quilt>>>>> kinda like a kid in a candy store , cant make up my mind

I like the idea of doing several small projects - nice to see quick results.

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I do something small and easy in between...let's my brain recharge for something larger and more difficult.
    I do know how you feel! I do something that's really fun... not that all quilting isn't "fun" but y'know what I mean. Maybe it's something made from some fabric I've been dying to use. Or something for ME. Or, like this weekend (I've been in a real slump as of late), it's a combo -- new technique ("Jelly Roll Race"), new fabric ("Birch Bark Lodge") & for someone I love (for my DH's BD). So maybe that'll kick start me.

Another idea... do something totally different. Read a good book, garden...

Just some suggestions. I do know how you feel!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I have 3 different quilts going at one time. I get tired of working on one,I work on the other one or I am embroderying something. But sooner or latter it all get done.

I enjoyed reading the above info. from everyone. I do have several projects I want to make on a written
    list so I can look at it and prioritize. It seems to be fun to start another quilt before the one I am working
    on is finished. Even though I have a long arm machine, several tops are waiting to be quilted & I don't want
    to do them because I am afraid I will mess them up......so I start another top. The ones I have quilted look
    okay (because they are mine), but I just do very simple designs. Getting them quilted by others is not
    an option since I need to learn for myself! What to do? What to do?

Like many others have said, do something small or clean up and organize your sewing space. Do you have some fabric you just love in your stash? Dig it out and start something with that or find a pattern you can use it for. I just finished a quilt for a challenge in Aug. It's been 6 months in the making. I feel so relieved it's mostly done. I just have the label left to make and sew on. I also am sewing together a OBW for my brother. That's on the home stretch too. Then what? I guess I'll follow my own advice.

I am at that point right now. I finished a bunch of quilts between last Oct and Feb. I have one quilt partially quilted in my sewing machine. It has been sitting for the past couple of weeks and I just can't get motivated to finished it and I don't want to not finish it. I have decided to concentrate on my vegetable garden and canning. I have one or two quilts that I can't wait to start but I just need the time off. I have been cleaning the house. I have been going through my canning supplies to see if there is anything I will be needing so I can get it before I need it. I have been enjoying the garden planning. I miss the quilting but when the weather gets hot outside, I will be inside. I believe that this time off will give me the break that I need to really enjoy my quilting again.

Do something fun that will produce a finished project in a day or two, ie. a quilted bag.

Blog Entries
    Your last project was fabulous! Take a break, read a book, catch up on some spring cleaning. Before you know it just the right pattern will pop into your head and you will be back to doing some more magic with your hands!
    Helen T.

I have been collecting small paper pieced items. like a kitty....or a banana..etc. I do those type of things. I make one a night...until I get back in the mood.
    have been happily divorced from the same guy for 39 years now! Yay!

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandma Peg View Post
    If I have a quilt that was hard or just took everything out of me, need to take a break from sewing. Then maybe do something small or something super simple that required no figuring and/or thinking.
    Ditto !!! This works for me too.

I know exactly what you mean. I have piles of fabric. Too many choices, not enough time or energy. When I get overwhelmed I do a small project-maybe not even quilting. I make a purse, a pincushion, some machine embroidery, play on the quilting board...

Get out of the house for awhile. Maybe go to a quilt show. Quilt shows are on my mind because our guild is having one today, but we're a little far for you to go this time. There's one about an hour and a half from you next month.

Here's a website that lists shows all over the country: http://quilterstravelcompanion.com/q...ilt-shows.html

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    When I get to this point I do what I call a no-brainer - microwave bowls, scrappy quilt that type of thing. Before I know it I'm back in the swing of things and ready to tackle the big things.

I do scrappy projects like the 1600 quilt or the string blocks anything that doesn't take a log of thought and gives me the opportunity to sew without any pressure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by needles3thread View Post
    I enjoyed reading the above info. from everyone. I do have several projects I want to make on a written
    list so I can look at it and prioritize. It seems to be fun to start another quilt before the one I am working
    on is finished. Even though I have a long arm machine, several tops are waiting to be quilted & I don't want
    to do them because I am afraid I will mess them up......so I start another top. The ones I have quilted look
    okay (because they are mine), but I just do very simple designs. Getting them quilted by others is not
    an option since I need to learn for myself! What to do? What to do?
    I guess you are just going to have to do like I'm going to have to do. Back my ears and get with the program. DH and I test drove a longarm the other day! We are going shopping for one in a couple of weeks. I am so nervous!!!
    A finished quilt excites me!! Whether is it mine or yours!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2