Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-wondering-why-do-you-buy-pre-cuts-t193341.html)

Annaquilts 07-03-2012 06:07 PM

I don't buy them unless they are dirt cheap.

nvmom 07-03-2012 06:08 PM

I am 'new' (again) to quilting and don't really know what to do with the strips yet. I also figure I have a lot of material sitting around here so I am trying to use some of it up for lap quilts, etc before I really dive into quilting.

captlynhall 07-03-2012 06:54 PM

I like to pre-wash my fabric so it concerns me about using the pre-cuts. On more than one occasion, I have had fabric that bled when washed. I shudder to think how I would feel after all that work to complete a quilt and then have one piece of fabric bled on another when washed.

I do enjoy the cutting and the binding. I machine piece, but hand quilt. In fact, I enjoy every step of the process.

One of these days, though, I will probably try one of the pre-cuts just for the fun of it.

rrhaigh 07-03-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by captlynhall (Post 5337184)
I like to pre-wash my fabric so it concerns me about using the pre-cuts. On more than one occasion, I have had fabric that bled when washed. I shudder to think how I would feel after all that work to complete a quilt and then have one piece of fabric bled on another when washed.

I do enjoy the cutting and the binding. I machine piece, but hand quilt. In fact, I enjoy every step of the process.

One of these days, though, I will probably try one of the pre-cuts just for the fun of it.

I use Color Catchers when I wash quilts for the first time. I have never had a problem with colors bleeeding, not even with a quilt that was black, red and lots of white. I wash my quilts before I give them away so I can wash them with a Color Catcher first. Color Catchers work great!

Pickles 07-03-2012 07:48 PM

I pre-wash my fabrics and , I have never bought a precut of any kind, because manly of the cost.I live on a fixed income
and just can't afford them .

marla 07-06-2012 10:47 AM

Love jelly Rolls

Originally Posted by Pickles (Post 5337264)
I pre-wash my fabrics and , I have never bought a precut of any kind, because manly of the cost.I live on a fixed income
and just can't afford them .

When I first made a Jelly Roll Quilt, I did cut my own but found the quilt somewhat boring due to the lack of variety in the fabric coordinations. I bought a few from Connecting Threads and this quilt turned out cute. I then ordered some moda latte and plan to do the Trade Winds pattern. I also bought a cute ruffled purse pattern and that calls for 2.5 strips. Leftovers are great for binding and narrow and accent borders. I have been so busy in the garden and have folks coming and going but want to do a fast quilt. This just cuts (xcuxe the pun) out one step in the quilting process if you can find a cute pattern. I like some patterns in Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and nicky Lincott , Jelly Roll Quilt Magic by kimbery Enimo and Strip Happy by Donna Kinsey.

burchquilts 07-06-2012 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot (Post 5336993)
Convenience and the assortment of fabrics that comes in them. I just bought a couple of coordinating French General jelly rolls because it will be easy for me to cut the lengths I need for the blocks.

I didn't feel like searching through my stash and cutting all those 2½" strips.

Plus French General is just flat-out GORGEOUS! I love it!

burchquilts 07-06-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 5337049)
I've only made one quilt with them so far (well, one quilt top, as it's not finished yet!) but I thought they were a lot of fun. We'll see how I feel after I wash my top, though. I'm a prewasher too, so I'm not sure how I feel about precuts yet. Not that it stopped me from ordering more of them, LOL. I really like the scrappy look in quilts, plus I wanted to do a few Project Linus quilts but don't have a lot of bright/cheery/kid-oriented fabric in my stash so I thought some bright precuts would be a good way to quickly make up some fun and cheerful quilts. And for myself I also ordered some Bali Pops - Beverly's has them on sale online for $26; 40 strips of different color-coordinated batiks with no labor - that looked like a pretty good deal to me! Hopefully I won't regret it after washing this top I finished (also with Bali Pops)...I'm not sure yet if I should "pre"wash it alone or after finishing the quilt!

Argh! Why did you have to tell me about the sale on Bali Pops at Beverly's?!?! They are super yummy & then there's those magis words -- "sale"!!!

YukonViv 07-06-2012 07:56 PM

I love buying and using precuts. They are an affordable way for me to get a range of fabrics that go together that I would never be able to get in yardage. It also means I can jump right in with little prep/cutting time.

jaspersu 07-06-2012 08:16 PM

When I bought precut strips it was because the pre-cut prints available were way moe appealing than the fabric available on the bolts.