Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries

Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts?

After spending two full days cutting 2.5" strips in the store last week, I know what MY answer to the question would be.

But I was curious as to why other quilters buy pre-cuts.

Is it for the variety you get in a bundle?

Or to save you time?

Or because you just don't like to cut?

... or maybe some other reason?

Power Poster
    I avoid buying pre-cuts because I like to wash my fabrics before cutting them.

I usually don't buy precuts(due to price) but I will when i need a lot of variety. For ex., DD wanted a quilt from all B and W prints. by the time i would have bought enough different prints and cut them myself, the cost of buying precuts -in this case jellyrolls-looked pretty good. i also will buy charm packs if i find them at a good price, just to have a variety on hand for a quick baby quilt. I usually pair them with solids from my stash.

Banned
    I buy them because they're there and I'm weak

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
    I buy them because they're there and I'm weak
    Me too.

I've bought 3 or 4 jelly rolls and a few charm packs .... like the variety of fabrics (and all the u-tube videos showing all the clever ways to use them) ... now I just need to find just the *right* pattern for them!!! lol

jody

Blog Entries
    I buy them when want a full line of a particular fabric. Then I may buy some larger pieces of the same line to go along with the precuts.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

I don't buy them because I wash my fabric and because I don't always like the color combinations. Can understand your answer. My back aches just thinking about it!!
    Nana Jan
    Friendships are gifts from God that should be cherished and nourished

I don't buy them, but I love receiving them as gifts. Mostly for the variety of fabrics. They are like scraps to me.
    Last edited by DebraK; 07-01-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I have some jelly-rolls purchased on clearance in my stash, but have never used them because I prefer to pre-wash my fabrics.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I bought several charm packs to make a Twister quilt. It gave me a great variety of squares without spending a lot of money and pretty much no labor to cut all those squares. It made a nice scrappy quilt. Other that that I would rather buy the yardage and cut it myself.
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I don't usually. Buy. Them but I did to try two technique s I saw on youtube

Variety!!!! And sometimes its because the precut ( variety) takes some of the issue of finding enough coodinating fabric. I like picking out fabrics( way too much so) but there are times I just want it a fast way to get fabrics that look good together.
    Just a note : I think the way you have your precuts with the bolts shown, and the yardage for each "slice" available is wonderful.. The metalics homeade ones are my favorite, and I am not normally a big consumer of precuts , but these really are irresistable.
    Last edited by Lori S; 07-01-2012 at 03:54 PM.

I am a sucker for pre-cuts, but I have learned some lessons. I only buy from certain manufactures, and never buy a pre-cut when the label says 'all measurements are approximate'. I usually buy charms, layer cakes, and jelly rolls but once in a great while I will splurge and buy myself a fat quarter bundle if I'm crazy about the collection. I hate cutting strips and squares and am willing to pay the extra dough to have it done for me!

I don't buy them, as I prefer to pre-wash my fabrics, and the cuts are high priced as well.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Never buy them...mainly for the reasons the others gave...I pre-wash. Some of the jelly rolls etc I have encountered here (Australia) seem to be of poor quality and the colour ranges are not to my taste. However, I may weaken and source some from the USA....I am constructing a string quilt and the cutting is ....well...tedious

How about why we do NOT buy them? I'm another one, who only uses pre-washed fabric.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

The only ones I will buy are fat quarters. I cut my own, I actually enjoy cutting!!!!
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

I buy them from Connecting Threads and they're not too expensive and I like the instant gratification they provide.

I fell for them in the beginning of my quilting learning process, have use a few of them for various projects I usually don't even by FAQ anymore usually buy 1/2yd or more depending ....

I have bought only one jellyroll (because I couldn't resist the fabrics, and it was on sale) and one of your small jelly things with the gorgeous batiks. I like the idea of the convenience, and the variety...but I still haven't used them (I've had the jellyroll for about six months now), and I am nervous about the unwashed fabric aspect (I am a prewasher), so I won't buy anymore until I see how these two work out.

Alison

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1943 View Post
    Can understand your answer. My back aches just thinking about it!!
    Yeah, well... my co-workers kept asking about my back, too... but it didn't bother me a bit. However, my thumb and index fingers went halfway numb from pressing down so hard on the blade. But I spring back, and they're nearly 100% again.

I decided that this is NOT a job that I could ask the staff to do... don't want them to get any repetitive stress injuries. I guess I don't mind putting myself at risk. Or maybe I'm just a tough ol' bird...

Actually, cutting batiks isn't bad; I can do five strips at a time. But the metallics that Lori likes so much, I could only do three at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    I buy them when want a full line of a particular fabric. Then I may buy some larger pieces of the same line to go along with the precuts.
    That is what I do also.

I don't buy them often, but when I do, it's to save time.

I buy them for several reason's. I can really only buy fabric once a year. I am not good at putting different fabrics together. For me they are a special gift to myself. I look at others quilts all year long and decide what patterns I would like to make and then I make a wishlist of fabrics(precuts) to use. Then when I can, I get enough to make more than one quilt and spend the rest of the year making them.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast