Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts?

I buy them because of the full line of fabric. They are fun to buy and when a shop if there is nothing else to buy, I ll get a jelly roll or a charm pack.
    Donna

Blog Entries
    I rarely buy pre-cuts, but I couldn't resist that small jelly of beautiful rainbow batiks. It was only because I could see the full range of the strips in the stack of fabrics. And I have only ever bought 4 charm packs because they were on sale...really don't like working with some of the fabrics that are in them. I prefer to buy yardage.
    Sunnie
    a dog show & quilt addict
    www.buckhollow.net

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Just a note : I think the way you have your precuts with the bolts shown, and the yardage for each "slice" available is wonderful.. The metalics homeade ones are my favorite, and I am not normally a big consumer of precuts , but these really are irresistable.
    I agree! I never buy precuts because I don't like to be relegated to blocks comprised of 2 1/2 ", 5" etc. but I am "color dumb" and appreciate seeing colors/lines that "go together"!
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    I've never used them (ok- I did buy jelly roll to use as binding), but I think I'd really like to. I don't like cutting one bit. I only when I'm at my sewing machine, sewing!

The only precuts I ever bought were cut by a board member that cuts and sells on Ebay. I wanted to get a large variety of 5" squares and had quite a few projects to get worked on. Usually the precuts are too expensive. This person used her scraps and the price was very reasonable. I have to admit tho that I drool over some of the precut sets I see..I also wouldn't be sure how many to buy for a quilt: for example, how may jelly rolls would be needed for a twin size or a full size? I am sure it would add up

Convenience! Convenience! Convenience!
    &
    Pretty colors! Pretty Colors! Pretty Colors!
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I am a dye hard pre-wash person, and proud of it!! LOL So no die cuts for me. I was given a jelly roll which I used but did not have enough to do the whole top with just one jellyroll, so mixed in some frabic from my stash. I don't care for fat quarters either, tryed them (yep! I washed them first in a swetter bag) great for the variety but then had odd size scraps left with nothing really to mix with them for a scrappy so there they sit in a basket with my other scraps some day I will use them I'm sure but not for a while.But that is just me I have a friend who only buys yardage for borders and backing, everything else is pre cut, and that works for her. Sure glad we are all diffrent, makes for a more enjoyable world!

Blog Entries
    I love the precuts as it gives me such a variety of color coordinated fabrics. Do they cost more, yes, but sometimes you just have to be nice to yourself. I try to buy them when they are sell, mostly jelly rolls, charm and layer cakes. The batiks are just too hard to resist.
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't buy them. I find them to be A- way too costly, B- not cut accurately, c- never prewashed and D- rarely anything in my styles.

I think for the variety, and I love coordinating fabrics!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I haven't yet bought pre-cuts. I can't get over the price. It doesn't seen worth it to me. I'd rather buy yardage. =)
    A bed without a Quilt is like a Sky without Stars..Sew On!

There are a lot of variety of ways and patterns to use them, you can buy fabric but you will have to buy a lot to get the variety.

I buy precuts because I never prewash - love the feel of fresh off the bolt fabrics (stiff) for piecing. It gives me sooo much more accuracy of piecing when fabric is stiff. Can anyone tell - I am really close to OCD (big grin).
    Absolutely loved the strips I bought from FavoriteFabrics - only wished I had ordered two instead of one!!! I like the variety in a strip set with no duplicates because I like the scrappy look. I also like them because I like to try out the new fabrics available - when I fall in love with the precuts then I have to buy yardage to do bigger projects. Looking right now for the perfect color way to do a king size quilt for my DSIL.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Kayluvs2quilt, I'm glad you were so pleased with the strips you bought! I made five groups of metallic blender strips last week. (That's what I was slaving away on!) They're pretty, and the color combinations turned out quite nice... ... but I'm really hoping to come up with more batik strips. They were SO much easier to cut! I truly enjoyed working on those. The more time I spend around batiks, the more I grow to like them.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I have bought a few charm packs and a few jelly rolls, personally don't care much for the layer cakes. I bought my charm packs along with some matching yardage cause I wanted only some of the line in smaller amounts so the charm pack worked out perfect. So when I buy pre-cuts which is not often it is to get more of a particular line of fabric that I want only small amounts of.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

RST
    Blog Entries
    Variety and coordination of colors and prints -- so it makes it fast and easy to pull a project with a lot of visual interest together quickly.

Often too, the charm packs are from full current lines, which translates to colors and patterns that are very "now" . The resulting quilts tend to appeal to younger and trendier people, something I don't always hit upon instinctively on my own.

RST

Sometimes I have a particular pattern in mind, sometimes for the variety. I like the charm pks. for smaller applique pieces and I have a couple tote patterns that use charm sqs. that are really cute.

i'm a big fan of pre-cuts for a lot of reasons.

For variety - a little bit of a lot of different fabrics. I love to make multi-coloured or 'scrap' quilts, so they suit my personal style.

Then, convenience: it's great that someone else did the cutting for me. I've only very very rarely found mis-cut squares (often, unfortunately, during fabric swaps).

Then, to keep up with colours and trends: not having quilt fabric shops anywhere near me, I enjoy receiving sets of squares or fat quarters and have in the past been a subscriber to the Cotton Club and to some of KQ's medleys of the month. I've just finished making a multi-coloured '10-minute' block quilt which used 210 4" squares that I'd been accumulating since the start of this century... I loved making it. I also make FQ pillowcases regularly.

They're also fun to play with. They're pretty. A lot of dream-power for a not too big investment. There are lots of cool things you can do with them...

Did I mention that I really love pre-cuts???
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

I haven't bought too many precuts, but have been given quite a few. Most I haven't used yet, as I have too many UFOs to finish first.
    One thing I don't like about them (other than what has already been mentioned here) is the pinked edges. I think it sacrifices accuracy in piecing.

I don't. I am to...cheep. I just by a yard knowing that I will use it some place else in another project. It is rare that I buy even a fat quarter, thus my fascination with the fat quarter swap on the board. I don't mind cutting and I guess that I like the adventure of searching out coordinating fabrics. I do see some lovely articles made of jelly rolls, cakes and so on. We are the variety of life.

Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    I buy them when want a full line of a particular fabric. Then I may buy some larger pieces of the same line to go along with the precuts.
    Me too, I usually buy 5" squares when they are on a really good price, under $8.....love love love 10" squares, and then I will try and get yardage to go with them...have a lot of precut patterns that do up real quick because I'm not spending so much time on cutting!!

I buy yardage never used pre-cuts or charms

Because I love fabric! I buy them because they give me a variety of designs to use in anything I want to make. I can cut just about any piece I want from one 10" square, charm packs are pure delight and same reason as layer cakes; they let me see all the fabrics in a particular line and then if I want or need yardage I know exactly what I want. Layer cakes and charm packs are my favorites. I've made so many wonderful things using these pre-cuts while I have yardage, that I just had to have, that is still laying on my shelves. Oh and to top that, I'm a fabriholic.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I try not to buy them, because they are very expensive. However, I buy them from Connecting Threads where the yardage cost ends up almost the same (you lose a bit on the charms and layer cakes). I buy it for variety, and because the fabric is so pretty.

I don't buy them often, the first time was to make an apron then I bought 2 because they were on sale and I liked them. One of them is sitting beside my machine to make a jelly roll quilt but I haven't gotten to it yet.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast