Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Just wondering... why do YOU buy pre-cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by azure68 View Post
    Me too.
    Ditto.....ditto......ditto!!!
    A woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. by Albert Einstein
    *. ƸӜƷ**. ƸӜƷ**. ƸӜƷƸӜƷ**. ƸӜƷ**. ƸӜƷ*

Blog Entries
    I joined a "strip" club. We meet monthly and work on various quilt patterns using the jelly rolls. I joined this group so that I consistently finish quilts (I joined in January and have completed 2 lap quilts and 1 crib size). Plus, it is fun to work with the women in the group and see how a pattern made up indifferent fabrics compare.
    I didn't buy jelly rolls or precuts before this, I have a difficult time with "scrappy" quilts... Lol, I am definitely out of my comfort zone.

Blog Entries
    I bought the accuquilt and now can cut strips all I want! My back quit hurting too. I hate to pay the extra for a jelly roll because I don't allways like the combinations.
    Patski
    always learning

Variety only. The wonderful convenience of a bundle of candy themed squares for an I-Spy, for example.

I haven't bought precuts yet because I enjoy doing my cutting. Maybe if I tried a bundle I'd chg. my mind but I'm afraid I wouldn't like a lot of the pcs. so they'd be a waste even as stash.

Especially after reading here last wk. about how many precuts aren't cut to size. Hmmmm food for thought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rrhaigh View Post
    I buy them when want a full line of a particular fabric. Then I may buy some larger pieces of the same line to go along with the precuts.
    This is what I usually do. I love precuts! But I also like to prewash. I forget which manufacturer it is, but their suggestion for prewashing precuts is to press with heavy steam. I've been doing this and have found some pieces shrunk a tad -- well, almost a quarter of an inch! But it seems to be working for me.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

I purchase them for the variety - a sample of the entire line, plus I have instant corrdinating prints on hand for a quick project.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

I only buy them if they are on sale for a very good price. If I don't have enough different scraps for a quilt such as a
    spiderweb, I will throw in a charm pack. I was surprised a few weeks ago, when Missouri Star had a charm pack on sale for a very good price. I was only allowed to purchase one pack......never had that happen before.
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

I don't buy them and I am slowly using my cut strips that I have sitting in tubs.

I admit I am lazy but sometimes it's just appealing. I hardly ever use them....love having them in my stash, looking at them but there are times when I need to make a quick gift....the pre-cuts work out well.

I don't buy them. I cut my own from my yardage. Yes it takes more time but cost me less $ and I'm more accurate in my cutting

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

You get a lot of different fabrics without buying a lot of different fabrics.

I buy them because I love the way the new lines are coordinated. I'm pretty good at choosing coordinating fabrics, but some of the lines have patterns or colors I would never choose but they just WORK! I guess that's why they are fabric designers and we're not!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
    I buy them because they're there and I'm weak
    Right! Also because they're pretty. And it's an easy way to get a variety of fabric designs that all coordinate.

Blog Entries
    I buy them when want a full line of a particular fabric. Then I may buy some larger pieces of the same line to go along with the precuts.
    Same here.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

I buy them if I want to make a specific pattern I have seen on some of the tutorials AND because I hate standing and cutting...kills my back.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I very recently developed a liking for Jelly Rolls. The trigger was my desire to try the Lasagne (Race for the 1600) quilt and I figured that a recut would give me more time and better variety. I since bought more because I can get an entire fabric line in one roll and can do a quick scrappy quilt in no time flat. I guess the short answer is convenience and variety.

Blog Entries
    I have been given some precuts and used them. They were ok...I would not buy any except FQ's I am also a prewasher and I like to pick my own colors. I have enough scraps so do not need a bunch more... LOL

I buy them because I can't resist the variety---and because I'm addicted to anything quilting related.

Blog Entries
    I love getting the collection. I also only buy them when they are on sale, or there is free shipping. I love having them on hand if I need to make something quick. There are so many free patterns for precuts now.

Blog Entries
    i've bought them once because I was in a hurry to get a project up and running. It was a braid quilt and didn't want to do all the matchy/matchy, either. My husband bought me a grouping of fat quarters and when I opened the package, there were several that were truly ugly. Never again. I'll spend for on the bolt, thanks.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I like the idea too of having the collection and putting it with yardage you can make lots of cute things. There are many patterns that use the pre cuts and you have everything except the yardage already cut out. Good way to go.
    This too shall pass.
    Janie

I like pr-cuts and include them in my fabric purchases for such times as the need arises. I purchase most of mine from the MOSQC as there pre-cuts are from reputable fabric houses.
    My guild is having a monthly swap project and we swap 5inch squares and draw for fat quarters, so pre-cuts are much easier to grab and go!!!!

Charm packs are my current somewhat-guilty pleasure. I love having a coordinated package of pre-cut fabric. It gives me just a little taste of the entire fabric line without a major financial investment, and takes up very little real estate in my overgrown, out-of-control stash. Have really enjoyed making the charm quilts too. Love to see all the colors come together and it's almost instant gratification for me when I have a nice lap size quilt pieced in an afternoon.

I love, love charm packs and jelly rolls..........I like them because of the fabric selection, you get a little bit of everything and it would cost a mint and years to find a store that carried the entire line. Will continue to get the charm packs......in fact just received 12 in the mail yesterday......what can I say!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast