Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kaleidoscope pattern-triangles, not OBW?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kaleidoscope-pattern-triangles-not-obw-t250158.html)

Skittl1321 07-15-2014 12:43 PM

I think you are confusing one block wonders with stack and whack. OBW is not fussy cut. You line up all the layers and cut it all, then you arrange it by the colors each one turned out as. There is almost no fabric waste (just the end of the strips that didn't end up in triangles)

Maureen NJ 07-15-2014 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by jillmc (Post 6801844)
Maureen-I could be wrong, but I don't think Dunster's quilt was made with the 60 degree ruler? I believe your ruler is for the one block wonder type quilt....hopefully someone who knows will chime in! I found a copy of Quilts Quilts Quilts (Used) for $4 (with shipping!) on amazon....

oh, you are right. It is eight sided, not six sided. That would make a, let's see, 45 degree template. Oh well. Will be on my Wishlist.

nanac 07-15-2014 03:17 PM

Gotta love the QB. Almost every question is able to be answered fairly quickly. So much knowledge and expertise, and willingness to share.
Dunster, I do not remember seeing this particular quilt before, but it's a beauty.

solstice3 07-16-2014 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6801474)
Thank you for remembering my kaleidoscope quilt. It was one of my earliest quilts, and I like it more now than when I first made it. (Strange how that happens, isn't it?) I found patterns in several books - can't remember which one I used. Try Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns (a Leisure Arts Presents book) or Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! by Diana McClu and Laura Nownes. This picture was taken on the design wall before the quilt was quilted.

Your color sense is awesome

roadrunr 07-16-2014 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6801474)
Thank you for remembering my kaleidoscope quilt. It was one of my earliest quilts, and I like it more now than when I first made it. (Strange how that happens, isn't it?) I found patterns in several books - can't remember which one I used. Try Encyclopedia of Classic Quilt Patterns (a Leisure Arts Presents book) or Quilts! Quilts!! Quilts!!! by Diana McClu and Laura Nownes. This picture was taken on the design wall before the quilt was quilted.

Just love your quilt! How long did it take for you to make it? Have to put that on my list of quilts to make! That list sure is getting long!

dottie dodge 07-16-2014 10:56 AM

Love your quilt dunster. Great use of the big flower fabric. I remember when that came out but didn't buy any. Wish I had some in my ''supply closet'' now!

madamekelly 07-16-2014 11:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I just finished a quilt made using the 60 degree triangle ruler from Eleanor Burns, and my own design. It all started when I found fabric covered in starlight mints. You could just google kaliedoscope quilts for inspiration for color choices. I love what Dunster did with hers. Same pattern, but oh so different results.

SueSew 07-17-2014 04:29 AM

Dunster, that is a stunner of a quilt.

The colors and values are so great - it looks like it is lit from behind, just like a real kaleidoscope with bright translucent glass.