Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kaye Wood’s 6 Hour Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kaye-wood%92s-6-hour-quilt-t306121.html)

sewbizgirl 08-04-2019 08:33 AM

Kaye Wood passed away recently... sad. :(

oksewglad 08-04-2019 08:46 AM

I think you are okay without additional quilting. I feel the roll poly batting will be stable enough for this project. Scrap pieces of batting would also work.

Moira in N.E. England 08-04-2019 09:04 AM

I’m going to try Kaye Wood’s idea soon - it’s going to be a challenge for me!

oksewglad 08-04-2019 09:49 AM

I was thinking that you could use this pattern as QAYG with large backing and batting pieces. Start in the center with 2 of the 18" pieces RST on top of batting and backing. Stitch through all 4 layers. Then flip the one piece right side up. Go to the other side of the center piece and with RST stitch though all 4 layers, then flip. Next add the top, then the bottom strip in the same manner. Building out with additional "rounds". Then bind when last round is finished. What do you think?

Keep us informed of your progress!

Moira in N.E. England 08-04-2019 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad (Post 8285149)
I was thinking that you could use this pattern as QAYG with large backing and batting pieces. Start in the center with 2 of the 18" pieces RST on top of batting and backing. Stitch through all 4 layers. Then flip the one piece right side up. Go to the other side of the center piece and with RST stitch though all 4 layers, then flip. Next add the top, then the bottom strip in the same manner. Building out with additional "rounds". Then bind when last round is finished. What do you think?

Keep us informed of your progress!

Yes - I think your right. What a good idea!

Kitsie 08-05-2019 06:31 AM

If you can ask the shop who the maker of the batting is, you can then perhaps Google it and find information about how close it should be quilted and other hints. I do that whenever I use a different batting.

thimblebug6000 08-05-2019 06:58 AM

Years back when I used this pattern, I was still using the poly high loft batting. It got snagged on my walking foot quite often. I don't have a serger and just used an over lock stitch.

Austinite 08-06-2019 09:46 AM

I've made her 6 hour quilt several times and I used my usual Soft & Bright poly batting and did no extra quilting. They are all in heavy use and no issues. (one adult and several kids) I serge around the final edge and then do a plain coordinating french binding. It's a great pattern for showing off large bright prints and panels too, you can start with a panel of almost any size and then start adding strips around it.

Chester the bunny 08-06-2019 10:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I made a couple of those a few years ago. You can use whatever size strips you have.
Don't remember what size these were but some strips were wider than others. I think I was using what I had on hand that matched, and they were made out of flannel.
I did do a quick serpentine type stitch down the centre of each strip and also did a binding.

bearisgray 08-06-2019 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny (Post 8285853)
I made a couple of those a few years ago. You can use whatever size strips you have.
Don't remember what size these were but some strips were wider than others. I think I was using what I had on hand that matched, and they were made out of flannel.
I did do a quick serpentine type stitch down the centre of each strip and also did a binding.

Those are cute - plus totally reversible!