Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Keeping blocks in order off of design wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keeping-blocks-order-off-design-wall-t262858.html)

sewingsuz 03-19-2015 04:57 PM

I have to say boston1954 I love your quilt.! I mark my rows from the design wall with scrap paper with #'s and I pin them to left top of first block. I pin my block sides together as i sew them and put the row back up on wall. So far so good. The beads sound great to use and the numbered pins.

Toni C 03-19-2015 05:04 PM

so far I've done all these things. Guess I'm on the right track. I've wondered if there is a better way, hoping to see something different that will work for me LOL I've wondered if I'm dyslexic. Is there AD (adult dyslexia?)
Toni

Mamaw322 03-19-2015 05:23 PM

These are all wonderful suggestions! Some great ideas here that I will try. Thank you all for sharing!

fatquarters 03-19-2015 08:04 PM

I also mark mine rows are numbers and columns are lettered

But I use a small piece of masking tape with the corresponding number or letter it only takes a few minutes to mark it and rip off. works good for me.

notmorecraft 03-19-2015 11:35 PM

I take a photo on my phone or I pad, I stitch in rows as I finish a row, I use sticky address labels for the printer, write numbers on and cut into small pieces and stick the row number on the first block. I'm doing a drunkards path just now and this has kept me on the straight and narrow lol.

sandy l 03-20-2015 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 7133512)
In the kids craft section at Michaels I found plastic numbers and letters that can be strung for a necklace or bracelet. I use the letters for the rows and numbers for the blocks and string the letters/numbers on safety pins and pin to each block.

I do the same thing. Keeps every thing in order and your sanity at the same time:)

Jingle 03-20-2015 03:40 AM

I don't have a design wall. I mark my blocks and rows with crayola washable markers. They always wash out. I have tried all the other ways of marking and find the markers works best for me.

sewbelle52 03-20-2015 05:22 AM

No matter how much "running" I have to do between design wall and machine, I only work with 2 or 3 blocks at a time. I put right sides together actually on the design board and they are put in a pile so that the seam side is on the right like I am going to put it under the machine. Then back to the design board like several have said. I am so anal that if I'm working with top middle bottom stuff, I put the top part on top with middle row underneath and bottom row on the bottom of my pile to get ready to sew. I know-- I'm bad--my friends call my friend anal and I'm super-anal!! LOL I think they're right!

Homespun 03-20-2015 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by imsewnso (Post 7133506)
I pin them together as I take them off the wall and put them back on the wall when I am finished sewing that seam.

I, too, pin mine together before going to machine...only row numbers.

bearisgray 03-20-2015 06:19 AM

Some people take pictures of the blocks before taking it down.

The numbering system of 1a, 1b, - or a1, a2, a3 - works for me.