Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Keeping blocks in order off of design wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keeping-blocks-order-off-design-wall-t262858.html)

Mamaw322 03-19-2015 01:21 PM

Keeping blocks in order off of design wall

Argh! For the life of me every time I try to take my blocks off to stitch them, I cannot keep them in the right order! Please share your secrets to keeping them in order off the design wall!

ksdot417 03-19-2015 01:32 PM

I use sticky notes and number the blocks. Then I put the note at the top of the block so I know which is the top.

ManiacQuilter2 03-19-2015 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I take tiny scraps about 1" width and cut into squares and use a permanent marker to number the blocks. Great way to use up those tiny scraps. I am working on this quilt right now

imsewnso 03-19-2015 01:45 PM

I pin them together as I take them off the wall and put them back on the wall when I am finished sewing that seam.

joyce888 03-19-2015 01:52 PM

In the kids craft section at Michaels I found plastic numbers and letters that can be strung for a necklace or bracelet. I use the letters for the rows and numbers for the blocks and string the letters/numbers on safety pins and pin to each block.

roguequilter 03-19-2015 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by imsewnso (Post 7133506)
I pin them together as I take them off the wall and put them back on the wall when I am finished sewing that seam.

that's the way i do also. i do scrap quilts w bazillions of pieces in each block. lay the patches for the block on a piece of felt so i can remember the order i want them in. stitch the block and put on design wall in wanted position as i finish them. then i usually move them around a bit til i'm happy w the color mix and pin each block side to side and stitch row, replace on wall and do next row of blocks. i have no problems. did a scrap quilt couple years ago w gifted fabric and scraps. 2" cut, too small to wash, so pieced the blocks, took pick of design wall w desired layout using my ipad. rinsed the blocks w colorcatchers & got storage smells and bleeders cared for, then i reassembled the blocks back on design wallusing ipad pic for placement reference. this idea also works for replacing blocks in appropriate positions when happy doggy tails dislodge some before i start sewing all together.

HouseDragon 03-19-2015 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 7133512)
In the kids craft section at Michaels I found plastic numbers and letters that can be strung for a necklace or bracelet. I use the letters for the rows and numbers for the blocks and string the letters/numbers on safety pins and pin to each block.

I LOVE this idea!!!!!

Mahalo!

I created a chart to reprint as necessary. The rows are numbers and the columns are letters. Print. Cut. Pin.

Your idea is much nicer. *LOL* It's also "greener"! No wasted expensive printer ink. No wasted paper. And, ha ha, no wasted energy cutting out all those little squares.

Our local Long's carries those cool little numbers & letters. :thumbup:

GingerK 03-19-2015 02:23 PM

Right now I use pieces of scrap paper and pins. I am going to be looking for those numbers and letters at Michaels!!

jokir44 03-19-2015 02:52 PM

Some company makes straight pins with numbered heads. I can't remember who makes them but they come in a clear flat round container. They were a little pricey but if you could find them with a coupon might be fine.

Boston1954 03-19-2015 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have plastic markers that my sister gave me. They say what row and block they are, and get pinned to each block. Then I write on a paper what direction I am counting in so that I do not get confused.