Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   keeping a straight seam at the points? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keeping-straight-seam-points-t34454.html)

PurplePassion 01-18-2010 10:02 AM

I know this has been discussed here before , but I am too frustrated right now to look for it. When I am sewing 1/2 square triangles and come to the very end of the point.....my machine pulls the fabric to the right, so I get a slight curve. So then my block ends up measuring an 1/8 to 1/4 inch off. I didn't mind when I am making all the blocks; but when I am making a couple for a swap or exchange, I can't send my crappy blocks to some one else. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out? Thank you, Elaine

LindaR 01-18-2010 10:06 AM

try using a pointer to hold it...I sometimes use a seam ripper to just hold it at the end....works for me

amma 01-18-2010 10:12 AM

Try using a wooden skewer to help guide the fabric at the end. Slow way down on your last bit of stitching too.
If you have a pressure foot plate with just a small round hole in it, try using that.
Also, shoving a scrap piece of fabric (folded in half) right up next to your piece and sew off on that, it will trick your machine into thinking you are still sewing on a longer piece. Butt it up snug to your piece, and sew right on to it. Leave it in your machine and butt your next quilt piece right up to it and start sewing, ending on another scrap piece.
Chain piecing can work too, but using scraps you don't have to worry about where it is sewing on the scrap and you can fully focus on your quilt piece. I have 6 or 8 scrap pieces that I always start and end sewing on.

amma 01-18-2010 10:14 AM

when sewing triangles, angle the scrap piece to match the angle of the triangle, only let the extra length of the scrap hang over to the right. That way the feed dogs are still pulling something "straight through" and both feed dogs are covered.

I think the pulling to the side happens when only one of the dogs are covered, and so it tends to pull to one side.

quiltmom04 01-18-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
I know this has been discussed here before , but I am too frustrated right now to look for it. When I am sewing 1/2 square triangles and come to the very end of the point.....my machine pulls the fabric to the right, so I get a slight curve. So then my block ends up measuring an 1/8 to 1/4 inch off. I didn't mind when I am making all the blocks; but when I am making a couple for a swap or exchange, I can't send my crappy blocks to some one else. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out? Thank you, Elaine

You could make HST using the full block method and then cutting them diagonally. That seems to take care of the pull for me.

Lady Tapioca 01-18-2010 04:56 PM

Maybe make them a little larger and cut them down?

Oklahoma Suzie 01-19-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04

Originally Posted by PurplePassion

You could make HST using the full block method and then cutting them diagonally. That seems to take care of the pull for me.

great idea.

Marjpf 01-19-2010 03:11 PM

I use the Purple Thang to guide them, and go very slow at the end. Seems to take care of it.

jljack 01-19-2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
try using a pointer to hold it...I sometimes use a seam ripper to just hold it at the end....works for me

Also my tool of choice for this purpose!! Works perfect.

lass 01-19-2010 05:13 PM

I also started using small emory board. The rough edge seems to hold the point very well also.