Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kid friendly Machine??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kid-friendly-machine-t99751.html)

ljgraham 02-20-2011 03:32 PM

I bought a small Janome for my GD at joann's it was around 40.00 and she does very well on it and she's 7. works really well.

Jbarrow 02-20-2011 07:29 PM

AS some have said Janome has some that are only a couple hundred dollars....but I like my Berninas...bias!!

SewExtremeSeams 02-25-2011 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by CloverPatch
I forgot about speed control. My Babylock has it. I don't use it, LOL, it is set to FAST FAST FAST.

I know she could use my machine, BUT I already share my machine with Anna. I so hate having to wait my turn! Then change out the thread, yada yada yada. I figured it would be easier on everybody if there was a second machine, primarily for the kids.
Speed control is definitly a feature I need to look for. Thank you I would have never thought to check on that.

Megan, I would suggest looking on craigslist in your area and getting a Singer for around $50-100.

I let my 3 and 5 year old grandchildren sew with my Singer 221 FW. At this point I usually let them operate the foot pedal and with my arms around them I guide the fabric.

First thing I have taught them is that when Grandma says 'stop', it is time to stop. You wouldn't believe how quickly they have caught on.

Then, with the 5 year old (GS) I let him operate the whole thing by himself with paper for fabric and no thread in the needle. I draw lines on the paper and he has learned to pivot with the needle down and begin sewing again. He could do it for hours and love it.

I have picked up many Singers made in the 50s for not too much. A Singer 15-91 is great. And, you might even want to borrow from your girls! LOL

mudsprite 03-02-2011 11:24 PM

I just want to say that the nicer the machine and the easier it is to use, the more children want to sew.

I love my Baby Lock and hate to wait to use it and change thread etc but it seems to me that it is worth it to spend a little or a lot more for a better machine cuz the kids continue to sew more and more as they get older. Most good machines hold their value.

Maybe call some dealers for good used machines that may come with a shop warranty?

Always a hard choice but I now let the kids use the machine I take to classes.

sylviasmom 03-05-2011 02:48 PM

My 11 yr old granddaughter who been sewing since age 8 uses her mom's brother sewing machine. I have both a bernina and an elna. Both machines have a "slow" feature adjustment. No matter how hard she steps on the pressure foot, it will not go fast. But right from the beginning, we stress hand placement. We found that those little sewing machines do not last long.

sew_sew 03-06-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by GwynR
How about a Bernette? They are very basic Bernina's. I saw a couple of ladies using them in a class the other day and they were very nice. One of them was $150.00 and you get free classes with it for a year.

Bernette was the first machine I bought new and it was junk. I recently heard they still are. The less expensive brothers and babylocks are heads above them. Bernina doesn't make Bernettes just put their names on them. If they have changed, I apologise. I'm actually looking at a back up machine for my Babylock Espire right now, the "A Line" BabyLocks are all on sale right now....I'm thinking about the Sofia, I think it would be small enough to take to class. Janomes are also a good option and Sear's machines are made by Janome.