Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kits vs Stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kits-vs-stash-t313070.html)

Panchita 11-12-2020 07:03 AM

I generally enjoy figuring out fabric choices from my stash, with maybe a sprinkle of 'new' depending on finances and feeling. But I can definitely see the attractions of kits.

Closest I have come so far was buying a bundle of fat quarters made up as a 'starter set' (I forget the proper term) to go along with a pattern - the bundle was not intended to supply all of the fabric for the quilt, just give a jumping off point/some fresh to use in addition to existing stash. I enjoyed that.

So I'd be open to buying a kit for something I really liked. https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/smile.png

Macybaby 11-12-2020 07:19 AM

I have, and sometimes I really enjoy just grabbing one and getting to cutting with no figuring. Half the time I don't even have a pattern so I'm figuring yardage along with everything else. So oftentimes actually using a pattern is a big treat for me.

I only buy kits when I can get a really good deal. Right now I have a 40% off one item coupon from my LQS - and I love using that to buy a kit. I hope to get there this weekend and will be looking to see what they have in stock.

juliasb 11-12-2020 07:52 AM

I quilt from my stash as much as possible anymore. I have been doing my best not to buy any new fabrics. I have never really though about buying a kit. I see many pretty ones but find myself thinking "I can do that"! I have a very large stash so I need to use some of this before I spend more money.

Cheshirepat 11-12-2020 08:19 AM

I've bought a few kits (3) and have 'busted up' one already and used the fabric in different projects -I can't be trusted to not change my mind! Also, like Iceblossom I have 'kitted' together fabrics I think will work together, and hope that I come up with a plan when the urge strikes me. I've designed most of the quilts I've worked on so far. Sometimes I'll take the center of a small wall quilt and build around it - I did 3 small centers from Alex Anderson's 'Start Quilting' book, and made 2 of them larger throws with some extra bits. I guess I didn't realize how much I don't follow the rules when I quilt! I enjoy color so much, I just always buy what pleases my eye, kit or not, then I tend to change it around and have fun.

Quiltah Mama 11-12-2020 10:05 AM

I have never bought a kit. For me, part of the process of making a quilt is shopping for the right fabric for the pattern and person if I'm gifting it. Honestly, in all the shops and shows I've been to, I have never even looked at a kit. To much other eye candy I guess.😚.......

Jordan 11-12-2020 01:08 PM

I have bought only one kit and it is still wrapped up nicely in its package. I really prefer to use fabrics from my stash because then I know if I have enough fabric to make the pattern. I have never bought jelly rolls as I feel they are not really all 2 1/2" wide fabrics.

Onebyone 11-12-2020 01:55 PM

I buy kits on sale all the time as the fabric I like is usually cheaper in a kit. I buy kits with full yardage or whole pre cuts so I can use the fabric for other patterns.

loisf 11-12-2020 02:02 PM

I haven't bought a kit since the first year I started quilting, about 10 years ago. I absolutely love shopping for just the right fabrics for a quilt. However, I have bought a bit for my stash when local shops have gone out of business, and a friend gave me her stash of mostly fat quarters some years ago. So, I have quite a few, like hundreds, of short cuts, but not many larger pieces. This makes it hard to use only my stash, unless it's a totally scrappy quilt.

Fabric Galore 11-12-2020 02:26 PM

I have made 3 quilts this year from my stash and you can't tell anything has been used. I wanted quick gifts for my 3 DDs and I ordered kits from Jordan Fabrics for table runners in the log cabin pattern. I was very pleased with the quality and the designs of the fabric. This is the first time I have ordered kits but I'm sure it won't be the last. I have 2 boxes full of Christmas scraps but nothing seemed to blend together. I may make a scrappy Christmas throw with some of the stash.

Railroadersbrat 11-12-2020 08:39 PM

There's actually a couple reasons why I don't buy kits.

Number one, my fiancé and I are on such a shoestring budget that I just can't afford to get a kit. When I decide to do a quilt, it will take me a couple of months just to get the fabric together, then another month to buy batting, then yet another to buy the backing. Since I bought a bolt of Muslin, that should change things up a bit, but not by much.

Number two, when I do find a quilt kit that I find interest in, nine times out of ten, I'm not thrilled with the color choices and I pass it by. I'd much rather work in EQ, pick my own colors and fabrics and make a quilt that way. If I feel that my brain needs a break from quilting, I work up something easy like a nine-patch or do up HST's. If I need a bigger break, I break out either my crochet hooks or knitting needles and play in some yarn for a bit.