Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Knee Lift Survey (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/knee-lift-survey-t184947.html)

Tartan 04-03-2012 03:10 PM

Knee Lift Survey

I am quilting a table runner using my knee lift for my presser foot. I usually just do it by hand but since I am turning about every 5 stitches, I am trying to use my knee lift. I use my right foot on my foot pedal and was using my right knee to operate the knee lift for my presser foot. After a few boo boo's, I switched to using my left foot for my foot pedal and my right knee for the knee lift. No more boo boo's but it feels really awkward. I am stitching around snowflake shapes and they are looking nice but I am curious on what other people do. Do you use the same leg for both the foot pedal and knee lift? If so how to you avoid accidentally pressing the foot pedal when using that leg to do the knee lift?

MaryLane 04-03-2012 03:29 PM

I use my right foot and my right knee. It is kind of like driving a stick shift, I guess. It just seems "right".

Sorry, I am no help. I think it is one of those things that has a learning curve.

gramma nancy 04-03-2012 03:57 PM

I use the right foot/knee for both. My frustration is that my knee lift (Bernina 440) seems to move to the right as time goes on, so I have to move my knee further and further to the right to use it. Very awkward. Occasionally, I "unplug" and reinsert it and then the same problem begins to develop all over again. Is it just me or do others have this problem?

carrieg 04-03-2012 04:18 PM

I have a Janome 6600 and DH tweaked the knee lift for me. It was too far over and I really had to push my leg over quite a bit just to use it. I use my right foot on the pedal and the lift.

ube quilting 04-03-2012 04:28 PM

I use the same leg for both jobs. I am left hand minded so adapting to the right hand world is easy for me. I also padded the knee lift with some scrap batting and duck tape 'cause in the summer when I have shorts on, that metal arm is cold against the leg! Do what ever works for you. It may seem awkward at first but so was walking for the first time.
peace

misskira 04-03-2012 04:29 PM

I use right leg for both.

ksdot417 04-03-2012 04:35 PM

I use my right knee for the lift and my left foot for the pedal. It was a bit awkward at first but now I'm used to it and it works really well.

Whigrose 04-03-2012 04:36 PM

I use my knee lift with my right leg and my right foot for the foot pedal. It's just 'natural' to me, I guess. But then again, I drive a standard, a motorcylcle and boats so I am used to having lots of moving parts :-)

Maybe it is something you need more time with. Someone mentioned wrapping their knee lift with batting. Perhaps you could wad yours up to see if cutting down on travel times helps. I'm sure different body builds factor into the use of these things- I have what I refer to as a peasant body, tall and sturdy.

Good luck. Keep at it. I have a difficult time switching to my old Singer (70's Vintage) because she lacks the knee lift but going to the treadles is not an issue. Go figure.

best,
d

dunster 04-03-2012 04:54 PM

I use the left foot and the right knee. Feels totally natural after you do it a while.

Mickey1 04-03-2012 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by gramma nancy (Post 5114217)
I use the right foot/knee for both. My frustration is that my knee lift (Bernina 440) seems to move to the right as time goes on, so I have to move my knee further and further to the right to use it. Very awkward. Occasionally, I "unplug" and reinsert it and then the same problem begins to develop all over again. Is it just me or do others have this problem?

Same thing happens to me. I have a Bernina too. Hmm.......