Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee Lift Survey

Power Poster

Knee Lift Survey

I am quilting a table runner using my knee lift for my presser foot. I usually just do it by hand but since I am turning about every 5 stitches, I am trying to use my knee lift. I use my right foot on my foot pedal and was using my right knee to operate the knee lift for my presser foot. After a few boo boo's, I switched to using my left foot for my foot pedal and my right knee for the knee lift. No more boo boo's but it feels really awkward. I am stitching around snowflake shapes and they are looking nice but I am curious on what other people do. Do you use the same leg for both the foot pedal and knee lift? If so how to you avoid accidentally pressing the foot pedal when using that leg to do the knee lift?

I use my right foot and my right knee. It is kind of like driving a stick shift, I guess. It just seems "right".

Sorry, I am no help. I think it is one of those things that has a learning curve.

I use the right foot/knee for both. My frustration is that my knee lift (Bernina 440) seems to move to the right as time goes on, so I have to move my knee further and further to the right to use it. Very awkward. Occasionally, I "unplug" and reinsert it and then the same problem begins to develop all over again. Is it just me or do others have this problem?

I have a Janome 6600 and DH tweaked the knee lift for me. It was too far over and I really had to push my leg over quite a bit just to use it. I use my right foot on the pedal and the lift.
    Carol in Michigan

Blog Entries
    I use the same leg for both jobs. I am left hand minded so adapting to the right hand world is easy for me. I also padded the knee lift with some scrap batting and duck tape 'cause in the summer when I have shorts on, that metal arm is cold against the leg! Do what ever works for you. It may seem awkward at first but so was walking for the first time.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I use right leg for both.

I use my right knee for the lift and my left foot for the pedal. It was a bit awkward at first but now I'm used to it and it works really well.

I use my knee lift with my right leg and my right foot for the foot pedal. It's just 'natural' to me, I guess. But then again, I drive a standard, a motorcylcle and boats so I am used to having lots of moving parts :-)

Maybe it is something you need more time with. Someone mentioned wrapping their knee lift with batting. Perhaps you could wad yours up to see if cutting down on travel times helps. I'm sure different body builds factor into the use of these things- I have what I refer to as a peasant body, tall and sturdy.

Good luck. Keep at it. I have a difficult time switching to my old Singer (70's Vintage) because she lacks the knee lift but going to the treadles is not an issue. Go figure.

best,
    d
    My best is the least I can do.

I use the left foot and the right knee. Feels totally natural after you do it a while.

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
    I use the right foot/knee for both. My frustration is that my knee lift (Bernina 440) seems to move to the right as time goes on, so I have to move my knee further and further to the right to use it. Very awkward. Occasionally, I "unplug" and reinsert it and then the same problem begins to develop all over again. Is it just me or do others have this problem?
    Same thing happens to me. I have a Bernina too. Hmm.......

Tartan ... I don't use it most of the time either, as it seems awkward. However, when I have used it consistently for awhile it does feel more normal. Then old habits die hard and I'm back to not using it.

So the old addage ... practice makes perfect ... and I think we will both become used to it!

CarrieG ... I have the 6600 too, and also think it's over too far. Did your husband bend the metal? or how did he tweek it foryou?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I have an Elna 7500 and just automatically have used my right knee and foot from the "driving habit"; but I'm left handed and left footed. Hmmm I need to try changing feet. Might be less tiring. Thanks for posting!
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

I found using the right leg for both was too awkward and I would confuse myself as to what I wanted to do...lol. So, I changed the foot pedal to the left foot. It was awkward to start with but I soon got used to it. Now I use the left foot on the pedal all the time, whether I'm using the knee lift or not
    Blessings from Janice

I have the same problem as gramma nancy does with my 440. I use both foot pedal and knee lift with my right leg and foot. It does start to move and I have to re-adjust it. I thought it was just me, but come to think of it, I don't have that problem with my 930. Very interesting. Does anyone know why this is?

I use my right foot for both. I have a Bernina 1530 and have no problems. Interesting how we all do things "my way". However; I can't sew with shoes on. Go figure. Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    Same thing happens to me. I have a Bernina too. Hmm.......
    And now that you both mention it....mine seems to do this too. I have the Bernina 430. Glad to know it's not just me.

I use the right leg for both functions....but it took some getting used to. I learned to sew (eons ago) on a 1947 White machine with a knee lever rather than a foot pedal. My first foot pedal machine took some getting used to!

My bigger confusion is using the knee pedal to make it go, because I learned how to sew with a knee pedal. I had a hard time learning how to sew again, when I got my first machine with a foot pedal!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!

I also use right leg for both on my Janome. Occasionally, especially with the kind of project you describe, I find myself pusing up the presser foot without realizing it. But generally, I am quite used to it. When I use my Featherweight I always have to remind myself to raise and lower the foot by hand.

Power Poster
    Thanks for all the advice and I will stick with it to see if I become more comfortable with it. The idea for padding the knee lift handle sounds good too. I have a length of a pool noodle with the hole down the middle. I think I'll slip a section of it onto the knee lift and see if that makes it less of a stretch for my leg also. Great ideas, thanks everyone!

Blog Entries
    Never use mine on either Babylock. Could never get used to using it. I was told I am probably sewing too fast to concentrate on the sewing and using the knee lift at the same time, if that is possible. My hand thinks it has to reach for the presser foot lift. Mainly I use the automatic presser foot lift that is built in. The knee lift is a neat concept if you can get your knee and your brain working at the same time. I haven't been able to master that yet.

I use my right foot on the control pedal and my right knee on the lift. I have a Bernina so I'll have to watch if my lift moves over. I do find that my pedal seems too close and sometimes I am pressing a bit on the knee lift while I am sewing. That sure messes up the sewing! Maybe I should try my left foot on the control.
    Sam @ Samantha's House.blogspot.com
    SamanthasHouse @Etsy.com

I have a Janome 6600 and a Babylock Ellegante. The Janome is down in a table while the BL sits on top of one. I find the 6600 easier to use the knee lift on. My point is it could be the height of the machine contributing. I am fairly long legged, too. Probably making it easier for me.

Like the person that mentioned motor cycles and boats, my other "job" is part time farm hand. Every turn requires multiple actions from multiple limbs - an I used to do it holding a toddler! I think practice helps you train your mind and body to do these actions seamlessly. But if using both works for you, go for it.

Right and Right!!

Was taught by my machine dealer to use left foot on pedal and right knee for knee lift. I adjusted to it pretty quick. You have to forget sitting like a lady with this though.
    Robin in TX

Blog Entries
    learned to sew on a treadle, then a singer with a knee pedal, then a singer with a foot pedal but no room for table so sat on the floor 'Tailor fashion' and worked pedal with knee, now I have multiple machines so foot pedal with left foot because the Bernina 1630 has the knee lift and i have it on a high table so i can sew standing (back problem with sitting) and work the knee lift with my hip.

The point is do whatever you have to do to sew!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast