Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Knee Lift Survey

I find I am somewhat ambidexterous when it comes to most things. People have often commented that I hold things left handedly and sew right handedly and vice-versa so I am really not much help. However, I don't have any problem keeping my foot off the pedal when I use the knee lift with the right leg.

Right foot, right knee. Another option is to FMQ the design - as long as you drop the needle, you can turn the fabric without lifting the presser foot.

BTW - my knee lift had the same issue with working its way out of my Bernina. Took it back to the shop and whatever they did worked - no more issues.

Suz
    Like Sammygirl, I too was taking inadvertant stitches when using both w/right knee and foot. To avoid this, I had to move my foot from the pedal and then back: extra steps. Then I broke my right foot and started to sew with my left foot and lift with my right. I could do this while wearing a boot. I have continued to do so since.

So, left/right for me.

both.......I purchased my first Bernina (36-37 yrs ago) after seeing the knee lift feature. I thought it was the greatest thing outside of the free-arm. It took a little time to get used to but since I knew the knee lift was an essential for my sewing I made it a top priority to get used to it. I use my right leg and knee to operate both the foot and the lift. I was determined to get used to it and I did!

I use the right foot and right knee. It takes some getting use to but after doing that a while, it is weird to do it any other way

My dad used to drive with his right foot and brake with the left. I thought it was hard to do, because I kept pushing them both at the same time. So I guess as long as you don't press the foot pedal and the knee lift at the same time, it will just take some practice, but sounds like a good idea if you master it.
    Last edited by quiltmom04; 04-05-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Spelling error

I waited a long time to use my knee lift because I am very right sided. But when I started it didn't take me long to get use to using my left foot for the preeser foot. Now when I can't use my knee lift I find my right knee going over to lift it even if it isn't there. And I always use my left foot on the presser foot. I think it would feel strange not to.

I also use my right limbs for everything, but to the lady that her husband twicked her kneelift on her Bernina, I have he same problem, what did he do?

Quote Originally Posted by gramma nancy View Post
    I use the right foot/knee for both. My frustration is that my knee lift (Bernina 440) seems to move to the right as time goes on, so I have to move my knee further and further to the right to use it. Very awkward. Occasionally, I "unplug" and reinsert it and then the same problem begins to develop all over again. Is it just me or do others have this problem?

Me too. It works fine for me. If using your left foot works for you then keep it up and it will soon feel right!

Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    Never use mine on either Babylock. Could never get used to using it. I was told I am probably sewing too fast to concentrate on the sewing and using the knee lift at the same time, if that is possible. My hand thinks it has to reach for the presser foot lift. Mainly I use the automatic presser foot lift that is built in. The knee lift is a neat concept if you can get your knee and your brain working at the same time. I haven't been able to master that yet.
    DITTO.....I have never gotten coordinated enough to use both on my Janome 6500. Have featherweights and 99k that I use a lot so I'm used to leaving the needle down and lifting the presser foot.

I use left foot for presser foot, right knee for knee lift.... that was the way I was taught when I bought my first machine with knee lift. However, I don't think they teach that way now. I remember how hard it was at first, but some 30 years later it is as natural as can be.

I have a Bernina and love the knee lift-use it and foot pedal with right leg. Not easy to go back to lifting presser foot on older Singer. I sewed on a Singer w/knee control and liked it also.

I have a Janome 6600 and love the knee lift! Right foot/Right knee : )

I just recently got a new Janome 6600 - love it and the knee lift. I use my right foot/right knee. However, I occasionally find myself using the knee lift to sew because I learned to sew on a machine that had a knee pressure for sewing. Funny how after 45 years - I'm reverting back to that.

I have the Bernina 440 also w/the knee lift. Love, love, love both and I don't seem to have the problem of the lift moving. I use my right foot and knee all the time.
    quiltinggranny

If I use the knee lift, I tend to lean my knee on it and run all my tension. Good Luck

I grew up sewing on an old Singer with a knee pedal to operate the motor so using the knee lift on my Janome wasn't too difficult to adapt to. Like someone said earlier it is kind of like driving a stick shift. My real problem is getting a pillow that is just the right height so I can use the knee lift and not get me jammed under the sewing table (which is an old dining room table we found at a thrift store). I have to keep re-adjusting the pillow under me (the chair is up as high as it will go and I am a pretty short person) so I can use the knee lift with consistent pressure.
    Lynne

The knee life if the best thing since sliced bread!! I pedal with my left foot--it feels more comfortable after you do it a while. Even when I sew on a machine without the knee lift (under protest) I still use my left foot on the pedal.

Blog Entries
    I don't have one so I'm starting and stopping and turning!!!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I use my knee lift, but I have a start/stop button on the front of the machine....I'm addicted to both!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

I don't use my knee lift. I have varicose veins and any pressure hurts. And, I have to move my knee over too far to the right.

Left foot right knee. You do adjust so it's not so ackward. I make a habit now to intentionally left foot sew.
    From the heart
    Nancy

LOVE my knee lift and couldn't get along without it...especially for machine applique and machine quilting. I use my right leg and right foot for knee lift/petal.

I use my left foot for the pedal and the right for the lift. After some time it feels very natural to me and I love the option of the knee lift. I also remove my left shoe when I sew and that gives me more flexibility. Good luck.

I used to use the right for both the foot & knee. When I hurt my foot recently, I learned to use my left foot for the foot pedal. Now I can use either foot but just need a little more concentration for left foot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast