Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knee Lift Survey >

Knee Lift Survey

Knee Lift Survey

Old 04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Tartan ... I don't use it most of the time either, as it seems awkward. However, when I have used it consistently for awhile it does feel more normal. Then old habits die hard and I'm back to not using it.

So the old addage ... practice makes perfect ... and I think we will both become used to it!

CarrieG ... I have the 6600 too, and also think it's over too far. Did your husband bend the metal? or how did he tweek it foryou?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:32 PM

I have an Elna 7500 and just automatically have used my right knee and foot from the "driving habit"; but I'm left handed and left footed. Hmmm I need to try changing feet. Might be less tiring. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM

I found using the right leg for both was too awkward and I would confuse myself as to what I wanted to do...lol. So, I changed the foot pedal to the left foot. It was awkward to start with but I soon got used to it. Now I use the left foot on the pedal all the time, whether I'm using the knee lift or not
Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 PM

I have the same problem as gramma nancy does with my 440. I use both foot pedal and knee lift with my right leg and foot. It does start to move and I have to re-adjust it. I thought it was just me, but come to think of it, I don't have that problem with my 930. Very interesting. Does anyone know why this is?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 PM

I use my right foot for both. I have a Bernina 1530 and have no problems. Interesting how we all do things "my way". However; I can't sew with shoes on. Go figure. Teresa
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
Same thing happens to me. I have a Bernina too. Hmm.......
And now that you both mention it....mine seems to do this too. I have the Bernina 430. Glad to know it's not just me.

I use the right leg for both functions....but it took some getting used to. I learned to sew (eons ago) on a 1947 White machine with a knee lever rather than a foot pedal. My first foot pedal machine took some getting used to!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

My bigger confusion is using the knee pedal to make it go, because I learned how to sew with a knee pedal. I had a hard time learning how to sew again, when I got my first machine with a foot pedal!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 PM

I also use right leg for both on my Janome. Occasionally, especially with the kind of project you describe, I find myself pusing up the presser foot without realizing it. But generally, I am quite used to it. When I use my Featherweight I always have to remind myself to raise and lower the foot by hand.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all the advice and I will stick with it to see if I become more comfortable with it. The idea for padding the knee lift handle sounds good too. I have a length of a pool noodle with the hole down the middle. I think I'll slip a section of it onto the knee lift and see if that makes it less of a stretch for my leg also. Great ideas, thanks everyone!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM

Never use mine on either Babylock. Could never get used to using it. I was told I am probably sewing too fast to concentrate on the sewing and using the knee lift at the same time, if that is possible. My hand thinks it has to reach for the presser foot lift. Mainly I use the automatic presser foot lift that is built in. The knee lift is a neat concept if you can get your knee and your brain working at the same time. I haven't been able to master that yet.