Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee lift versus foot pedal

I think I've finally found a way to keep my foot pedal from creeping all over the place (industrial strength velcro!!), but that problem has made me wonder about using the knee lift that came with my machine. I know my Mother always used a knee lift. I'd be really interested to know what you all use and why you prefer your choice.

Blog Entries
    I can't make that thing work to save my soul (or sanity). I bump it when I don't need to, don't push it when I should, and scrape myself when getting out of the chair coz I forget it's there. Talk about old dog and new tricks.

Isn't the knee lift used to lift the needle on your machine?

I love mine and have learned where to place my chair/machine/knee to make it all work.

I thought it was used in place of a foot pedal. Guess I'd better get the manual out to look that up before doing anything drastic!!!

I've owned several sewing machines with a knee pedal, so when I got my knee lift it really caused some problems. I gave up after 2 quilts, and lots of mistakes.

Blog Entries
    I have a lift but never use it.

Blog Entries
    A Knee lift and a Knee control are two different things. A knee lift lifts the foot a knee control runs the machine.

I love my knee lift!

All our machines in high school had the knee control. I've really gotten attached to my push button stop/start.

The knee lift on my machine just lifts the foot up and down. It doesn't control the machine. My mom had a Kenmore sewing machine that had a knee control that did make the sewing machine go. Hers never had a foot pedal.

Blog Entries
    never could get used to it

I love the knee lift didn't use it for the first year, now that I have gotten used to it I really cant live with out it

Okay, I looked it up in the manual -- guess I should have done that before starting this thread! It is only another way to lift the presser foot, not a control like my mother used to use. I think I'll just put it back in the box and not worry about what to do with it any more! Maybe I'll explore that pus button stop/start button on my machine. Don't think I'm too old to learn a new trick or two!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    I love the knee lift didn't use it for the first year, now that I have gotten used to it I really cant live with out it
    Ditto. The salesman told me that I would love it once I got used to using it...he was right. I use it all the time to pivot my fabric.

I love my knee lift! I learned to use my left foot to use the foot pedal and my right knee to lift the presser foot. Using different legs for the different functions helps avoid confusion.

On my Bernina I have the knee lift for the presser foot and then if you tap the foot pedal with your heel it lifts the needle so that your hands never have to leave the fabric it is awesome. I love it. It helps piecing, especially chain piecing go so much faster.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    A Knee lift and a Knee control are two different things. A knee lift lifts the foot a knee control runs the machine.
    yep...newer machines, all it does it lift the presser foot..older machines it actually is used instead of the pedal.

i love my knee lift but it only lifts the presser foot up and down - it has nothing to do with running the machine or making the needle go up or down.

its my favorite for applique because i'm able to stop stitch with the needle down and then use the knee lift to lift the presser foot and turn the applique piece to the next area to stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by AFQSinc
    I love my knee lift! I learned to use my left foot to use the foot pedal and my right knee to lift the presser foot. Using different legs for the different functions helps avoid confusion.

On my Bernina I have the knee lift for the presser foot and then if you tap the foot pedal with your heel it lifts the needle so that your hands never have to leave the fabric it is awesome. I love it. It helps piecing, especially chain piecing go so much faster.

Love it!

Once I got used to "driving" with my left foot and using my right knee for the knee lift I was off and piecing!

In newer machines and bernina 830 the knee lifter is to lift your presser foot. In older vintage in cabinet Singer machines the knee lifter is used instead of the foot pedal. I like knee lifters either for lifting the needle or for speed control. Also with the vintage Singer I do not like the old fashion foot pedal with the weird little knobby for sewing.

Blog Entries
    On most machines now days the knee lift raises the presser foot. I would never have a machine that doesnt have one. Essential for FMQ, chain piecing and pivoting. I had a macine years ago that had a knee thingy (not a lift) that actually controlled the machine.

Love love love my knee lift. My grandma had an old singer with a knee control that I learned to sew on (I have it now that Grandma has passed), and I really liked it too. But I'm not sure I can function with my knee lift.

Blog Entries
    I hated chasing the foot pedal around and around. The machine I have now just has a start and stop button on it.
    I love, love, love it. Start/Stop button and automatic needle threader make my machine ROCK.

I learned to sew on a 1950's Singer that was operated by a knee, or leg, bar. My Bernina has a knee lift for the presser foot. I don't use it because it totally confuses me and I start thinking I can run the machine with the knee bar.

I m too short to use my knee lift.

I love the knee lift especially when FMQ it gives you both hands to manuver the quilt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast