Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing with knee lift and foot pedal

For those of you who have Bernina sewing machines with the knee lift to raise the presser foot. Which foot do you use to operate the foot pedal? I have been sewing with my left foot ever since I first owned a Bernina sewing machine with the knee bar.
    I was at another dealer this past week and was testing one of their Bernina machines, also with the knee lift. I complained that the cord to the foot pedal was not long enough to allow me comfortable access to the foot pedal with my left foot. They seemed surprised that I was using my left foot. Do any of you sew that way?

Blog Entries
    I sew with my right foot, and use my right knee for the knee lift.

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    For those of you who have Bernina sewing machines with the knee lift to raise the presser foot. Which foot do you use to operate the foot pedal? I have been sewing with my left foot ever since I first owned a Bernina sewing machine with the knee bar.
    I was at another dealer this past week and was testing one of their Bernina machines, also with the knee lift. I complained that the cord to the foot pedal was not long enough to allow me comfortable access to the foot pedal with my left foot. They seemed surprised that I was using my left foot. Do any of you sew that way?
    Yes, I've retrained myself to sew (foot control) with my left foot. I do this as it's much easier and safer to sew with my left foot and use the knee lift on my right leg. I can't tell you how many needles I used to break by having my foot partially raised with the knee bar and accidentally stepping on the gas:< I've not broken one needle since the switch:> An instructor showed my her method of sewing with the left foot. It took me a week to feel like it was natural, but love it.

Yes, I have a Bernina and no problems with the cord length.

Blog Entries
    Right foot and right knee.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Right foot, right knee....but I'm strongly right-side dominant. I have Bernie friends who use both feet.
    If it "ain't" broke, don't fix it. :D

Jan in VA

No Bernina here but I have a Janome Horizon with a knee lift and I've taught myself to sew with my left foot on the pedal and right knee for the knee lift. Same as Candace commented above, no accidentally pressing the pedal while trying to work the knee lift that way. I find it works easier for me too. No problem with the cord length on the Horizon

I use my left foot and my right knee. I'm surprised they were surprised.

Blog Entries
    I have a knee lift and have never used it. I'm guessing it's very useful as everyone seems to like it. I may have to try and get use to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have a knee lift and have never used it. I'm guessing it's very useful as everyone seems to like it. I may have to try and get use to it.
    Me too!
    I'll have to dig mine out and give it a try.
    I sew with my right foot and I think the knee lift is more to the right so I guess I would use right knee for that.

I have a vintage Bernina 830 and never used the knee lift until last year when I started FMQ. Now I use it for all of my sewing. Tonight I'm working on a Sewing Workshop blouse pattern that has several right angles in the front yoke and collar, which have to be reinforced and faced. It's so much easier to use the knee lift at each pivot.

I'm only comfortable with using my right foot and right knee for the foot pedal and knee lift. I found that the foot pedal needs to be really stable so it stays put once you find the best spot for your foot. If it scoots around, I'll bump the knee lift when I don't mean to.

tmg
    I don't have a Bernina but I have a Janome MC6500. I sew right foot with right knee.

Bought a Bernina 150 in 2001 and have always used my left foot for the foot pedal and the right knee with the knee lift. Also have a Viking Sapphire 850 with punch buttons for the lifting, starting, and stopping. When you pause in your stitching, the foot pedal goes up slightly, allowing easy repositioning of the fabric. Wonderful feature!

me too except I do it on my babylock

I have the Bernina vintage 830 and I was taught to use my left foot on the pedal and right knee. I am using a Pfaff 2140 now and still use the left foot for the pedal, but the darn knee lift lever keeps falling out of the hole that it goes in. Has anyone else had this problem?

Blog Entries
    While I do not have a Bernina, I do have a knee lift on one of my machines, it is removable. I choose to not use it as I tend to bump into it and raise the presser foot.

I know of a cure for the knee bar falling out. I tend to sew very fast and that makes the machine vibrate and the knee bar fall out. I complained to the dealer and he took the knee bar and made some adjustments. What he did was basically bang the end of the metal against a hard object enough to flatten it a little. He then stuck the kneebar back in the machine. If it still didn't fit tight enough he repeated the process. As the wife of a machinist I have had experience with that kind of fixes by my husband. It works. Metal is surprisingly maluable.

When I had knee replacement surgery in my right knee last year, I started to use my left foot on the pedal and found it to make more sense when using the knee lift. However, somehow I reverted back to using my right foot. This July I attended 3 quilting retreats, which were some distance from my home. Two were 4 days and 1 way 6 days. Between the driving and all that quilting, would you believe that I got plantar faciatis in my right heal!!!! It hurts sooooo bad that now I'm back to using my left foot on the pedal. You just can't keep a quilter down!

I have a Bernina 430 and use left foot for the gas, right knee for the lift. I actually had to change my Singer 301 back to a foot pedal, (its in a cabinet where you were supposed to use your knee for the gas) since I kept trying to lift the foot and ran the machine instead :-)

Did you check on the bottom of the foot pedal to see if there was any more length of cord wound around the spool?

Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    Absolutely!!! That's the way my Bernina dealer taught me. And the foot peddles on the new machines wind up at the bottom, so you need to unwind it to make it longer to place for the left foot.

EC
    Right foot, right knee.

I have a Brother and love the knee lift! I use my right knee and sew with my left foot.

Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I use my left foot and my right knee. I'm surprised they were surprised.
    Ditto. I have to take the knee lift off when I clean the machine, and then sometimes I forget to put it back on. I start sewing, move my right knee over to lift the presser foot, and - darn! have to put that thing back on again. I'm lost without it.

Thanks for the advice but I do have the cord extended as far as it will go. I did loop it around behind the machine today and it seemed to be less in my way. If it was a regular plug instead of that compter like connection I could just use an extension cord.

Power Poster
    I have a bernina 930 - I bought a used knee lift lever - the "thing" bends waaaaaay too far to the left and crowds my right leg. I like the idea of using it - but when that lever is installed, I am miserable. Any fixes?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast