View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Candace

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
For those of you who have Bernina sewing machines with the knee lift to raise the presser foot. Which foot do you use to operate the foot pedal? I have been sewing with my left foot ever since I first owned a Bernina sewing machine with the knee bar.
I was at another dealer this past week and was testing one of their Bernina machines, also with the knee lift. I complained that the cord to the foot pedal was not long enough to allow me comfortable access to the foot pedal with my left foot. They seemed surprised that I was using my left foot. Do any of you sew that way?
Yes, I've retrained myself to sew (foot control) with my left foot. I do this as it's much easier and safer to sew with my left foot and use the knee lift on my right leg. I can't tell you how many needles I used to break by having my foot partially raised with the knee bar and accidentally stepping on the gas:< I've not broken one needle since the switch:> An instructor showed my her method of sewing with the left foot. It took me a week to feel like it was natural, but love it.

Yes, I have a Bernina and no problems with the cord length.