Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Knots off the Thread Spool (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/knots-off-thread-spool-t191397.html)

b.zang 06-10-2012 04:50 PM

Knots off the Thread Spool

My sewing maching repairman recommended Mettler thread on my last trip, so I picked up a couple of spools to try. This thread has been anything but wonderful. The spool sometimes seems to want to "hang on" to the thread at times, making it come off in a jerky manner but that's not what has prompted this post. Today, when I reached the end of a seam there in front of my eyes was a knot tied in the thread that had just come through the tension discs. And I mean an actual tied knot with two ends, not a tangle or clump of thread. I tried pulling it through my needle, but there was no way, and I'm thankful my seam ended where it did or I would have missed the knot. There's no guessing what may have happened had that knot hit my needle at full speed.

Anyhow, I'm curious to know the experiences of others in using Mettler thread. I thought it was a quality brand, which makes me wonder if I managed to pick up an oddball spool. If my repairman recommends it, I try to follow advice but not at the expense of my peace of mind. He's too far away for a visit, or I'd ask him - probably will anyway on my next trip.

Suze9395 06-10-2012 04:57 PM

How funny, I experienced my first knot like that last night. But, it was Gutterman. I was using my Voyager17 on my quilt frame. I had the same thought--what if I hadn't happened to pause, what if it had happened at top speed?

yngldy 06-10-2012 05:39 PM

I had purchased some Sulky invisible a few years ago, and I thought it kept breaking. Tried larger needle, smaller needle, tension, etc. Could not figure it out. Took it off the machine and pulled some off the spool by hand. It came off in about 12" sections. Pulled another piece, 12" or so. Looked at spool to see if it had a cut thru the thread, could not find one. It seemed as though the thread was wound with short pieces. Went and bought another spool, and tried it when I took it out of bag and it did the same thing. Took both of them back and never bought Sulky again.

tjradj 06-10-2012 05:40 PM

This, to me, sounds like the same problem as "waiter, there's a fly in my soup."
I'd alert the company, explain the problem and expect them to make it right. If they don't offer, ask, for at least several replacement spools. If you experience another problem, then ok, blame the company. But only one problem in how many spools they make in a day, I'd chalk it up to plain old error. They happen.

Dolphyngyrl 06-10-2012 06:18 PM

Never had any mettler problems before. might just be a bad batch

Quiltaddict 06-10-2012 07:01 PM

I've found knots in my thread several times with different brands.

MaryStoaks 06-10-2012 07:09 PM

I buy the big cones of machine quilting (cotton) thread from Threadart. It is just fine, but every cone will have a knot in it. I don't pay much for this stuff so am willing to put up with the knots. I might be upset if I were paying for the top brands.

earthwalker 06-10-2012 07:27 PM

Take a couple of pics and email Mettler. As Tjradj said, could just be one of a bad batch, it happens from time to time and they will probably make good with some replacement thread.

Nanamoms 06-11-2012 11:23 AM

I've used Mettler embroidery thread and haven't come across a knot yet...doesn't mean I won't tonight/tomorrow!! I had some Gutterman cotton thread and used it on my new singer 160. I had lint and fluff flying everywhere!!

b.zang 06-12-2012 08:21 PM

It's reassuring to know this has happened to others. Earthwalker, I do wish I had taken a picture. Instead, I was so amazed by this knot, it never occured to me to get my camera. Hopefully there's never a next time.