Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kona Cotton at Hobby Lobby? Same Quality? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kona-cotton-hobby-lobby-same-quality-t303623.html)

plays10s 03-15-2019 07:37 PM

Kona Cotton at Hobby Lobby? Same Quality?

Hi - I have used Kona or Free Spirit solids for a few years, previously Bella (Moda). When I first learned to quilt, I was told it is best not to buy fabric at Joann's or Hobby Lobby as they get a lot of "grey" fabric, and even though the name is the same, it is not the same quality of fabric. My friend told me that Hobby Lobby had Kona cotton. I said I would ask you knowledgeable people if it is the same quality. I'm wondering if it is Kona's "grey" fabric. What do you think?

Thanks!

patricej 03-16-2019 03:41 AM

it is genuine Kona.
Robert Kaufman, manufacturer of Kona, does not sell seconds.
they ship the same top quality to all vendors.

i think there is a "fake" Kona on the market.
if the bolt does not say Robert Kaufman then it isn't the real deal.

bkay 03-16-2019 03:45 AM

Kaufman says it's the same. I've read it online and they have also told me that in an email and on the phone. However, I have bought black Kona labeled fabric at Hobby Lobby that Kaufman said was not Kona. JoAnn's had the same black fabric at the same time.

I was participating in a block lotto at the time and it called for black Kona. So, I went to JoAnn's, as it's fairly close. The fabric didn't feel right, so went to Hobby Lobby. It was the same as JoAnn's, so I bought it anyway. I complained to the group that we should choose another brand of black fabric, as this stuff was lousy. Someone in the group sent me some black Kona and it wasn't the same. That's when I contacted Kaufman and sent the sample.

That said, I don't think you can blame Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's. They buy from a distributor. They buy what that distributor says is Kona. The fabric was labeled Kona, just like all the other colors on their shelves.

I have bought Kona from those places since then, but I was more careful to check the fabric.

bkay

lindaschipper 03-16-2019 03:46 AM

I purchase Kona from Hobby Lobby several times a year. It's the genuine thing. I believe the Kona fron JoAnns is actually called Kona Bay and is a thinner material.

bkay 03-16-2019 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 8226042)
I purchase Kona from Hobby Lobby several times a year. It's the genuine thing. I believe the Kona fron JoAnns is actually called Kona Bay and is a thinner material.

Kona Bay went out out of business a couple of years ago. Their fabric was prints, not solids. The Kaufman representative I spoke with last year said that they sell to both JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby.

bkay

Joset 03-16-2019 04:29 AM

i purchase my kona cotton from hobby lobby couple a times a year. i like.

Quiltah Mama 03-16-2019 05:00 AM

Good info. in this thread, thanks for sharing. In January, under the Links and Resources forum Charlottequilts posted that Colorful World of Sewing website was having a sale on their Kona fabrics, I bought some and was very happy with it, will keep Hobby Lobby in mind when I need more. Again, thanks for sharing.

Iceblossom 03-16-2019 06:44 AM

Fun with words, "raw" fabric before it is dyed is called "greige goods" which is pronounced as grey.

Jingle 03-16-2019 03:16 PM

I haven't bought any kind of Kona.

I have bought fabric at Hobby Lobby and Walmart. If it feels right to me I buy it.

Garden Gnome 03-16-2019 06:26 PM

I have bought Kona in Bone color at Hobby Lobby, and it is just fine. I did buy some black, that was supposed to be Kona, at Hancock's before they closed up. I think it was spelled or printed a little different on the bolt. It was not as good in quality as regular Kona. Maybe it was spelled Cona, or something.