Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kona Solid Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kona-solid-fabrics-t205993.html)

skowron5 11-14-2012 12:41 PM

Kona Solid Fabrics

I am going to be taking Amy Gibson's class she teaches on her website next year and she is using Kona Solid Fabrics. I was wondering if anyone has used these fabrics and what they think of them.

I usually stay away from solids because they are so thin. I was wondering if they are a better fabric then most solids.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quilt Lover Grandma 11-14-2012 12:43 PM

I love Kona solids. They are not thin at all. I would reccomend them.

Peckish 11-14-2012 12:48 PM

Depends on where you buy them. I agree with you; some of the so-called Kona that Joann's sells I wouldn't buy either. But I suspect Amy uses Kaufman Kona, which is a much better product. There has actually been a lot of conversation about the Kona name lately, and Kaufman (the manufacturer) says they have a trademark on that name. I've seen bolts of solid cottons in Joann's with "Kona" on the bolt end, but nowhere will you find "Kaufman" on that same bolt, and it's not the same good quality.

If you still would like to use solids for your class, purchase the Kaufman Kona at your LQS and make sure it says "Kaufman" on the bolt. Or, you could use Moda Bella solids, which I personally prefer.

Buckeye Rose 11-14-2012 01:02 PM

I have used Kona solids from JoAnn's store and online.....found no difference and loved the thickness/feel of the fabric....I can't attest to Kaufman Kona, but will always buy Kona from JoAnn

cjtinkle 11-14-2012 01:16 PM

I quilt with a lot of solids, but also prefer Moda Bella solids.

LyndaOH 11-14-2012 01:18 PM

Kaufman Kona is wonderful to work with and not at all thin. My LQS doesn't carry it, so I buy mine at either fabric.com or Hancocks of Paducah. Both of them usually have it priced at about $5 - $5.50 a yard. I'm not going to get into the whole Joann/Kona issue, but if you're interested in it you should do a search here for the many posts on that subject including a response from Robert Kaufman.

cmw0829 11-14-2012 01:46 PM

I recently used some Kona solids for the first time - brand name but can't remember which. I was very pleased with the hand of them and didn't find them thin at all.

My only problem was telling the right from wrong side. Not sure there is a right or wrong with these fabrics.

Best of all, if you need to match a color, which I did, there is a tremendous selection of colors. I'm lucky that the store where I purchased them carries a large line of them.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-14-2012 01:53 PM

I like Kona solids. I've bought them at Hancocks of Paducah online, my LQS and Joanns. To me they are all the same. Easy to work with, but as mentioned, hard to tell right side from wrong side. I figure if I can't tell it doesn't matter. :)

I've also used Moda Bella solids and like them too. I've also bought them at Hancocks and the LQS. No difference there either.

Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a large inventory of Kona solids. Often they even have colors listed as out of stock on their website if you call and ask.

MadQuilter 11-14-2012 02:05 PM

I use Kauffman Kona solids and Moda Bella solids and like them both. Just ordered a bunch of Bella from Missouri Quilt Co. and picked up some Kona white and black from Joann with a coupon.

coffeebreak 11-14-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 5656863)
I have used Kona solids from JoAnn's store and online.....found no difference and loved the thickness/feel of the fabric....I can't attest to Kaufman Kona, but will always buy Kona from JoAnn

I but at Joannes too... they have KONA 100% cotton for $7.99 and Quilters Legacy 100% cotton is $5.99 and Cuntry Classic is also 100% cotton for $4.99
I have bought all three and specifically watched for the difference. I always pre wash everything. Then I iron to get out wrinkles and fold until use. I then lay the fabric out and cut the strips/squares as needed. Then I spray starch them and press (not iron) then begin sewing them together. I press/set seams, the press them open or sideways.

In the end...the only difference I see is the Country Classic fabric (which is the thinnest of all three) and doesn't "starch" and stay firm as the other two. I don't see very little difference in Kona and Legacy...so for the diff of $2 a yard... I usually stick with the Legacy. So far, I have been very happy with it and it doesn't stretch or get out of wack. The Kona feels thicker on the bolt over the LEgacy, but once washed and working with...I don't feel a difference in the fabric at all.

And if I use the Joann's coupon for 40-60% off a regular priced item (fabric being "Item" is a length of fabric, no matter how long, just no cuts) so even if you specifically want the Kona...catch it on "regular" or watch for the sale price.