Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kona Solid Fabrics

Kona Solid Fabrics

I am going to be taking Amy Gibson's class she teaches on her website next year and she is using Kona Solid Fabrics. I was wondering if anyone has used these fabrics and what they think of them.

I usually stay away from solids because they are so thin. I was wondering if they are a better fabric then most solids.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I love Kona solids. They are not thin at all. I would reccomend them.

Blog Entries
    Depends on where you buy them. I agree with you; some of the so-called Kona that Joann's sells I wouldn't buy either. But I suspect Amy uses Kaufman Kona, which is a much better product. There has actually been a lot of conversation about the Kona name lately, and Kaufman (the manufacturer) says they have a trademark on that name. I've seen bolts of solid cottons in Joann's with "Kona" on the bolt end, but nowhere will you find "Kaufman" on that same bolt, and it's not the same good quality.

If you still would like to use solids for your class, purchase the Kaufman Kona at your LQS and make sure it says "Kaufman" on the bolt. Or, you could use Moda Bella solids, which I personally prefer.

I have used Kona solids from JoAnn's store and online.....found no difference and loved the thickness/feel of the fabric....I can't attest to Kaufman Kona, but will always buy Kona from JoAnn

Banned
    I quilt with a lot of solids, but also prefer Moda Bella solids.

Kaufman Kona is wonderful to work with and not at all thin. My LQS doesn't carry it, so I buy mine at either fabric.com or Hancocks of Paducah. Both of them usually have it priced at about $5 - $5.50 a yard. I'm not going to get into the whole Joann/Kona issue, but if you're interested in it you should do a search here for the many posts on that subject including a response from Robert Kaufman.

I recently used some Kona solids for the first time - brand name but can't remember which. I was very pleased with the hand of them and didn't find them thin at all.

My only problem was telling the right from wrong side. Not sure there is a right or wrong with these fabrics.

Best of all, if you need to match a color, which I did, there is a tremendous selection of colors. I'm lucky that the store where I purchased them carries a large line of them.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like Kona solids. I've bought them at Hancocks of Paducah online, my LQS and Joanns. To me they are all the same. Easy to work with, but as mentioned, hard to tell right side from wrong side. I figure if I can't tell it doesn't matter.

I've also used Moda Bella solids and like them too. I've also bought them at Hancocks and the LQS. No difference there either.

Missouri Star Quilt Co. has a large inventory of Kona solids. Often they even have colors listed as out of stock on their website if you call and ask.

Blog Entries
    I use Kauffman Kona solids and Moda Bella solids and like them both. Just ordered a bunch of Bella from Missouri Quilt Co. and picked up some Kona white and black from Joann with a coupon.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    I have used Kona solids from JoAnn's store and online.....found no difference and loved the thickness/feel of the fabric....I can't attest to Kaufman Kona, but will always buy Kona from JoAnn
    I but at Joannes too... they have KONA 100% cotton for $7.99 and Quilters Legacy 100% cotton is $5.99 and Cuntry Classic is also 100% cotton for $4.99
    I have bought all three and specifically watched for the difference. I always pre wash everything. Then I iron to get out wrinkles and fold until use. I then lay the fabric out and cut the strips/squares as needed. Then I spray starch them and press (not iron) then begin sewing them together. I press/set seams, the press them open or sideways.

In the end...the only difference I see is the Country Classic fabric (which is the thinnest of all three) and doesn't "starch" and stay firm as the other two. I don't see very little difference in Kona and Legacy...so for the diff of $2 a yard... I usually stick with the Legacy. So far, I have been very happy with it and it doesn't stretch or get out of wack. The Kona feels thicker on the bolt over the LEgacy, but once washed and working with...I don't feel a difference in the fabric at all.

And if I use the Joann's coupon for 40-60% off a regular priced item (fabric being "Item" is a length of fabric, no matter how long, just no cuts) so even if you specifically want the Kona...catch it on "regular" or watch for the sale price.
    Last edited by coffeebreak; 11-14-2012 at 02:09 PM. Reason: addition

I also prefer the bella solids. But I do love kaufman kona " Snow" love to embroider on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    I recently used some Kona solids for the first time - brand name but can't remember which. I was very pleased with the hand of them and didn't find them thin at all.

My only problem was telling the right from wrong side. Not sure there is a right or wrong with these fabrics.

Best of all, if you need to match a color, which I did, there is a tremendous selection of colors. I'm lucky that the store where I purchased them carries a large line of them.
    True Kona Cotton Solids are made only by Robert Kaufman, that's the only brand name. As for right and wrong side, Kona Solids are yarn dyed so there is no difference at all between the sides.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I signed up for Amy's BOM for next January and got her email about using Kona solids. I've used Kona solids and found them to be pretty thick. I am going to be using them for her class also. I am going to be copying Amy. I did her Craftsy BOM and used the same fabric as she used and really like my quilt.

But, I also bought a lot of 1/2 yards of solids from Connecting Threads and I think I might use those instead. I bought a few yards of grey, which she said to buy, and I have a few yards of Kona white, which she suggested, so I'm set to go with her class. But the Connecting Threads solid fabric is pretty thin compared to the Kona Solids, so I'm not sure which I'll use yet, but I'm using solids for sure. Since it's a mystery block pretty much, I want to do what Amy is doing.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    Kona solids are nice, thick and wonderful! My quilting guild made a quilt from them and that quilt is now up for donations for a children's charity. It only has 11 donations and had collected $313. Each person that donates will be entered in a drawing for for the quilt. Wish us luck, we have 2 1/2 weeks to reach our goal.
    Name:  66250_10152239214040151_673055536_n.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  71.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Kona is the best!!!! I love them enjoy you class

I emailed her and she said you could use any fabric, but I have never done a solid quilt so I thought this was a good chance. It will be easier to follow. I am looking forward to the class. I did her Craftsy class and she is so easy going makes it a fun class.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    I signed up for Amy's BOM for next January and got her email about using Kona solids. I've used Kona solids and found them to be pretty thick. I am going to be using them for her class also. I am going to be copying Amy. I did her Craftsy BOM and used the same fabric as she used and really like my quilt.

But, I also bought a lot of 1/2 yards of solids from Connecting Threads and I think I might use those instead. I bought a few yards of grey, which she said to buy, and I have a few yards of Kona white, which she suggested, so I'm set to go with her class. But the Connecting Threads solid fabric is pretty thin compared to the Kona Solids, so I'm not sure which I'll use yet, but I'm using solids for sure. Since it's a mystery block pretty much, I want to do what Amy is doing.

Very pretty quilt. Thanks everyone for the information. I ordered the Kaufman Kona solids online so I am sure it will be fine. I will try the others that you have suggested on another project in the future to compare.ave

I have to go to the doctor tomorrow and it is close to Joann's so I will stop in and look around I have never found a decent solid there, but maybe I am not looking in the right place.

Just this afternoon I found Kona solids at Hobby Lobby and thought them to be of much nicer quality than the ones carried at JoAnn's--softer and thicker. Price was $7.99. There were lots of colors to chose from. I plan to try them in my next project. I just need to return with my main fabrics to do some matching.

I just did 4 quilts, and have about 6 doll quilts, using jar pattern from Missouri Star Quilt Company black kona and really liked it. I have black dust and threads all over my design wall, me, sewing machine and floor, but that is the price of doing all that cutting and sewing.

Before I knew any better, I was buying the cheap solids, and then I discovered Kona. It truly is a great fabric to work with and it's the only solid I buy now. Yes, I get it from Joann ... is it Kaufman Kona? I don't know - but I do know it's the best solid they carry and I like working with it.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    True Kona Cotton Solids are made only by Robert Kaufman, that's the only brand name. As for right and wrong side, Kona Solids are yarn dyed so there is no difference at all between the sides.
    Are you *sure* it's yarn dyed? I once got a bolt of sable brown Kona (from Kaufman, not from JoAnn's) and on one side, there were lots of paler spots. I would think they were what happens when during the manufacturing process not all of the "fuzz" is removed, and after the fabric is dyed, then if the fuzz is brushed off, paler spots are left.

The other side of the fabric was just fine. And that was the only time I've ever run into that problem with any of Kaufman's fabrics. Actually, I don't think I ever ran into it with any other quilt-shop brands either. I did see it happen quite a lot with Springs Quilters Only solids.

And I agree, there isn't a right side or wrong side with Kona cotton. Both seem the same to me!

Power Poster
    This may not be true any more -
    but several years ago, the dye lots did not seem to be consistent -
    so, if you can, buy as much as you need of one color all off the same bolt.

It does feel 'heftier' to me than most of the other quilting cottons I have. I think it's too bulky to use for small piece applique work.

I love the Kona cottons.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skowron5 View Post
    I am going to be taking Amy Gibson's class she teaches on her website next year and she is using Kona Solid Fabrics. I was wondering if anyone has used these fabrics and what they think of them.

I usually stay away from solids because they are so thin. I was wondering if they are a better fabric then most solids.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Where are you buying Kona? I have NEVER had thin Kona and it is my preferred "go to" for a solid, especially for the cost. If you are buying from JoAnn's that could be the problem. In the past, this was discussed on this board. You might want to check out the old threads for more information. Bought Kona yesterday at Hobby Lobby at 30% off and the heft is what I expect. I don't use any other solids unless I already have them.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    Are you *sure* it's yarn dyed?
    That's what they claim, but I don't have proof, no.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast