Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kona Solid Fabrics

I also have Kona Solids in lots of colors and they are not thin and work really well. I really love Kona Cotton.
    Texas raised, Texas Proud

Kona cottons sold at Hobby Lobby retail for $7.99, but are one of their "always 30% off" deals so $5.59. They are by Robert Kaufman and I like them much better than the Classic cottons sold there. I used to work at my local Hobby Lobby and miss my discount, but still go there for lots of my fabric since it's right up the street.
    www.makeminepatchwork.etsy.com
    www.zibbet.com/makeminepatchwork
    "Piecin' a quilt's like livin' a life...The Lord sends us the pieces, but we can cut 'em out and put 'em together pretty much to suit ourselves, and there's a heap more in the cuttin' and the sewin' than there is in the caliker...I've had a heap of comfort all my life making quilts, and now in my old age I wouldn't take a fortune for them." (Eliza Calvert Hall, Aunt Jane of Kentucky)

Kona solids are the best, in my opinion! I always buy them at our local Hancock's or online at Fabric.com. Fabric.com currently has them for $5.48/yard, which I consider to be a good deal. I think you will like working with them. They have a good hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    True Kona Cotton Solids are made only by Robert Kaufman, that's the only brand name. As for right and wrong side, Kona Solids are yarn dyed so there is no difference at all between the sides.
    Thanks Ghost. It was the Kaufman then. I'm happy about the right/wrong side issue as I know I upended a few of the pieces.

I have never bought Kona. I very seldom ever use solids, but it seems to me they are always very thin. That is why I was questioning if a better fabric would not be that way. I have even bought solids at LQS's that were thin, but I never paid attention to the brand I was buying. Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I also prefer the bella solids. But I do love kaufman kona " Snow" love to embroider on it.
    Thanks for this suggestion Jackie. I'd imagine that it provides a better surface for embroidery than a regular quilting cotton which is what I've been using.

Actually these have the opposite, a little on the thick side making them a little harder to work with. A good hot and heavy irong and spray starch will help. At times you might decide to press the seams open. As for the end result, I think you will like it. No whimpy fabric here. Besure to get the Kaufman Kona solids. I think Joan's caries the other one and that is flimsy.I made this baby quilt with solids, many Kona, and I could clearly see if it was Kona or not and I agree most other solids are flimsy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 11-15-2012 at 08:26 AM.
    Anna Quilts

Anna, your quilt is beautiful. I never thought to use just solids but it's a really dramatic effect.

I use kona white solid alot with applique and there is just a slight difference on one side from the other...one side has
    a little more sheen to it, but if you use the other side noone will know the difference! When putting it on a dark background I either double the piece, or use a stabilizer on the back so the dark doesn't show through. Love kona!
    I have always gotten mine from fabrics.com, on sale

Some people have already stated this but Missouri Star Quilt Co has a large line of Bella Solids and Kona Solids by Robert Kaufman. If you need any help please call us and we can help. 888-571-1122. Have fun in class!!!

Use Kaufman Kona Solids and you will really like the texture of them. They are available at most Hobby Lobby stores.

I really love the Kona Cottons. If you like them I would highly recommend getting their color chart. They are kind of hard to find. I found mine at Pink Chalk.

I use the Kona prepared for dying fabric and the only place I was able to find it was Joann's on the website by the bolt.

I have used their other Kona cottons when I need a solid and have found no difference either with the quality between the LQS if they even have it or Joanns. I don't like a lot of the thinner ones that the LQS's carry, and those carry well known brand names.

Anna--I love your quilt!!!

I got started with Kona solids and have been pleased. I buy online at Fabric Shack. They have a good price and low shipping. I label my collection with the color name so that if I wanted more I can order it without confusion. It's nice to be able to order more and get a matching color. I would love to have a card with all the colors--but those are usually expensive. Enjoy your class!
    Last edited by JJean; 11-15-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Jean

One more time! I recently had a rather long e-mail exchange with a representative from KONA. She told me that if the bolt says KONA, it is the same quality wherever you buy it--JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, LQS. The company wants to know if someone is selling counterfeits, i.e., fabric that claims to be KONA and isn't. Check the end of the bolt for the manufacturer. As Peckish said, "Make sure it says Kaufman." The KONA rep also said she is constantly amazed at the quantity of bad information that circulates on the Internet about fabric. If you suspect a counterfeit, Google KONA and find the contact us button. KONA is fine fabric. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Depends on where you buy them. I agree with you; some of the so-called Kona that Joann's sells I wouldn't buy either. But I suspect Amy uses Kaufman Kona, which is a much better product. There has actually been a lot of conversation about the Kona name lately, and Kaufman (the manufacturer) says they have a trademark on that name. I've seen bolts of solid cottons in Joann's with "Kona" on the bolt end, but nowhere will you find "Kaufman" on that same bolt, and it's not the same good quality.

If you still would like to use solids for your class, purchase the Kaufman Kona at your LQS and make sure it says "Kaufman" on the bolt. Or, you could use Moda Bella solids, which I personally prefer.
    Last edited by FroggyinTexas; 11-15-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Correct mistake

I buy Kaufman Kona at Hobby Lobby. Its wonderful, unlike the "kona" they sell at Joanns. The backgrounds for the blocks and the outer border are all Kaufman Kona cotton fabrics.
    Sharon W.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Depends on where you buy them. I agree with you; some of the so-called Kona that Joann's sells I wouldn't buy either. But I suspect Amy uses Kaufman Kona, which is a much better product. There has actually been a lot of conversation about the Kona name lately, and Kaufman (the manufacturer) says they have a trademark on that name. I've seen bolts of solid cottons in Joann's with "Kona" on the bolt end, but nowhere will you find "Kaufman" on that same bolt, and it's not the same good quality.

If you still would like to use solids for your class, purchase the Kaufman Kona at your LQS and make sure it says "Kaufman" on the bolt. Or, you could use Moda Bella solids, which I personally prefer.
    What's the difference between the 2?
    From the heart
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linynp View Post
    What's the difference between the 2?
    Between Kona and Bella? I think the Bellas have a nicer, softer hand and drape. Lots of colors, too.

Kona is a plain weave fabric and they donít have a right or wrong side. I personally really like using it.
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I do love kaufman kona " Snow" love to embroider on it.
    I use it whenever I'm going to embroider on white, too.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

If you use the Kona Cotton it is WONDERFUL. Othe brands are the thin ones....

I have used Kona {bought at Joann's} with coupon and it's a very good quality. Not flimsy at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2