Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kona White or Snow (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kona-white-snow-t54774.html)

sweet 07-16-2010 08:00 AM

I'm trying to decide which color I should use for various future projects. Is there much af a difference between the two or is it possible using both would clash in a quilt?

Thanks for you opinion!!!!!!!!!!

ghostrider 07-16-2010 08:06 AM

I don't have those two specific colors, but, to my eye, there is enough of a difference in all Kona solids colors to be noticible. Whites can vary quite a bit or just a little and if it's just a little, it can look like one is just grungier than the other. I wouldn't use them together for that reason. Ask Favorite Fabrics if she can check her color card for you to see how close they are.

amma 07-16-2010 09:17 AM

I agree with ghostrider, whites should probably be purchased in large enough quantities to use the same one in a quilt.
The same fabric can even vary from one dye lot to another too :wink:

clem55 07-16-2010 10:59 AM

I'Ve got a dozen whites, and none are the same!

leaha 07-16-2010 11:06 AM

I buy all my white and black fabric by the bolt, so not a problem :-)

justwannaquilt 07-16-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I don't have those two specific colors, but, to my eye, there is enough of a difference in all Kona solids colors to be noticible. Whites can vary quite a bit or just a little and if it's just a little, it can look like one is just grungier than the other. I wouldn't use them together for that reason. Ask Favorite Fabrics if she can check her color card for you to see how close they are.

AGREE!

Favorite Fabrics 07-16-2010 11:45 AM

Ok, and so I did...

The color "white" is just clean white, like a blank piece of paper.

The color "snow", on my sample card, is more like milk white. I mean whole milk, not skim!

Puts me in mind of that song from the musical "Oklahoma", about the horses ... "One's like snow, the other's more like milk..."

sweet 07-16-2010 11:51 AM

Thanks so very much for all of your replies!

I guess either would be good, so I should pick one and stick with it!

Probably cannot go wrong with the true "white".

Prism99 07-16-2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by sweet
Thanks so very much for all of your replies!

I guess either would be good, so I should pick one and stick with it!

Probably cannot go wrong with the true "white".

I don't know; pure true "white" can be glarey -- for example, for a wall painting color, both true-white and off-white will reflect a lot of light but the true-white will look more harsh. Also, a true-white typically has a grayish cast to it whereas a whole-milk white would likely have a very slightly yellowish cast to it (from the butter content in milk). A grayish white will look cold whereas a yellowish white will look warm. I usually dislike colors with a grayish cast to them; to me they often seem simultaneously dull and cold. Occasionally a grayish cast is needed to calm down nearby bright colors, but my thought is that milk white would be softer and calmer and more widely compatible with other colors.

Just a few thoughts.....

mlaceruby 07-16-2010 12:36 PM

Well honestly I just went to take a picture of the 3 next to each other to show the difference.
And I can't see much but this would most likely vary from bolt to bolt also.
Don't think they would clash.