Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labeling your work (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labeling-your-work-t67366.html)

mimisharon 09-30-2010 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I am trying to label all of mine now... I tend to forget :roll: :oops: :lol:

Me, too, with age creeping ever higher I would like my great grands to remember who made them their quilt so I embroider a label for all of them. Much easier since I got the embroider machine, used to hand embroider them.

madamekelly 09-30-2010 05:39 PM

On all but the last one, I FMQ my name. I have an easy name. Kelly is all lines and loops.

wraez 09-30-2010 06:06 PM

I label all my quilts. At first I used a 'permanent marker', even the sharpie and pigma pens, but over time with laundering they become too light or wash out. So now I use the font on my sewing machine and stitch my labels onto a piece of lighter fabric and fuse it to the backing, then quilt over it when quilting the quilt. It aint gonna come off.

When I first learned to quilt I was told it was important to put labels on all quilts, even for grandkids etc, cuz they could be of historical (don't laugh) interest or when someone in the future is doing family genealogy. We don't think our quilts will last that long, but do we really know? Imagine 100 years from now, someone opens an old trunk and finds your quilt! If no label, no 'history'.

People find quilts at thrift shops, estate sales, family trunks etc all the time and wonder, ... who, when, where?

Yes, put labels on your quilts!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Susan49 09-30-2010 06:18 PM

I usually print a label with all the pretenant infor on my computer. I iron on freezer paper just before I push the button to print and then I piece the label into the quilt back. If I finish a quilt it is a big deal and I want people to know who did it and if it is for something special I want that known too.

Annz 09-30-2010 07:07 PM

sometimes yes and sometimes no. I find that if I am doing a quick baby quilt that needs to go out right away I always forget to label.

christinetindell 09-30-2010 09:54 PM

I don't consider a piece finished unless it is labeled and photographed and then put in my journal of quilts. Too many wonderful quilts have been made throughout the years without valuable information to go along with them. I have heard many collectors and appraisers speak and emphasize how important that bit of info is.

IBQUILTIN 09-30-2010 11:48 PM

I press a piece of fabric to freezer paper, put it in the printer and make a lable. then applique it to the bottomright corner on the back of all but the baby quilts that I expect to be used until they are worn out

ruthieg 10-01-2010 02:54 AM

I always label my quilts with Quilt Name___ For ___ Year___
MY name___My Address. My exceptions are when I do a Church raffle Quilt which I Name___, Date___, the Church's Name on it. I also include a card with quilt care and on the back of the card I put my name and year.

carrieg 10-01-2010 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
Please label. I so wish my Grandmothers had done so. I have 20+ vintage quilts made by my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother and I don't know which one made what or what year they were made.

That's a wonderful treasure you have. I have 5 from my grandmother, but I know she didn't make them. Was it her mom? My mom's not sure since no one is left from my dad's side. Even just initials would clear up who made them.

I am thinking of making labels for my 5 with my name, inherited from GM, possibly made by GGM. You could do something similar with your 20.

I do label mine, but now am thinking of embroidering my name & year along the edge somewhere. I have a short name!

cgroark 10-01-2010 07:45 AM

I too label my quilts; I embroider a label with name of recipient, my name, date, name of quilt. I also add some embroidery designs in keeping with the quilt design. My giftees like the label as well as the quilt. They always can't wait to see their label.