Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labeling your work (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labeling-your-work-t67366.html)

Betty Lee 09-30-2010 06:13 AM

I have a label maker on my computer. You can write
any thing you want on the label. I list:
Name of quilt
Who will receive quilt
Date
Person making top piece
Person doing longarm.
Special occasion.
Betty Lee

Parrothead 09-30-2010 06:40 AM

Please label. I so wish my Grandmothers had done so. I have 20+ vintage quilts made by my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother and I don't know which one made what or what year they were made.

kdid82 09-30-2010 06:52 AM

I make my quilt labels with an inkjet printer, let the ink dry, then wash in vinegar to set before attaching to quilt. I have also printed using archival pen to make a label, but always set the ink with the vinegar. So far they have survived many washings.

grannypat7925 09-30-2010 06:56 AM

I usually label the ones for the gr-grands. Made by GrannyPat,Year, who for, what occasion. The others I just put my name and year.

Janebird 09-30-2010 07:18 AM

I label my quilts. My DH has created many artworks over the years, rarely signs and never dates them. I've told him he should. Our tastes and styles always evolve and I think it's a wonderful personal history.

crazicorn 09-30-2010 07:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by rubia
Do you put labels on your quilts? Why/why not? If you do, what's your favorite technique?

I want to label the quilts I give away as gifts this year... and the ones I keep. I think it's nice for people to know the name of the quilt and adds to the homemade-love of the gift.

I label all of my quilts and so far have always used the printable fabric sheets from June Taylor. The labels are usually about 3" square. I have changed the information I put on the labels over the past year or so to include my city and state. I now have the name of the quilt, quilted and pieced by, city and state and date (for me this is usually the date I finish the quilt pre-labeling). If it is for a loved one I will put a little saying.

See attached pictures.

Earlier label
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93773[/ATTACH]

More recent label
[ATTACH=CONFIG]93774[/ATTACH]

catrancher 09-30-2010 07:49 AM

I label mine with the name of the quilt, my name, the recipient's name, and if the block has a name, I give that too. Sometimes I add a little quotation. For my son's wedding quilt I used one I found on the internet:

True love in bloom now fills your life
As you become husband and wife

I gave one to a friend that said:

Friends are golden threads in the quilt of life.

I've used Printed Treasures and printed them off, and I've also used my embroidery machine. At first I didn't think I would label my quilts, but then read something about documenting quilts for historical purposes. I don't think my labels will keep people from using their quilts. I do think they feel special when they receive a quilt conceived and made especially for them. Putting a label on it documents that too.

My grandmother didn't label her quilts. I realized one day that I was the only person left who would know anything about them, and so I donated them to a museum. They are such treasures, and I didn't want some future generation wondering who made them or why. We used most of her quilts, but there were a couple that were kept special.

EmsMom 09-30-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by crazicorn

Originally Posted by rubia
Do you put labels on your quilts? Why/why not? If you do, what's your favorite technique?

I want to label the quilts I give away as gifts this year... and the ones I keep. I think it's nice for people to know the name of the quilt and adds to the homemade-love of the gift.

I label all of my quilts and so far have always used the printable fabric sheets from June Taylor. The labels are usually about 3" square. I have changed the information I put on the labels over the past year or so to include my city and state. I now have the name of the quilt, quilted and pieced by, city and state and date (for me this is usually the date I finish the quilt pre-labeling). If it is for a loved one I will put a little saying.

See attached pictures.

Thank you for including a picture of your label. I am very new to quilting and would love to put on label on the quilt I am making for my daughter. Is June Taylor an online store?

crazicorn 09-30-2010 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by EmsMom
Thank you for including a picture of your label. I am very new to quilting and would love to put on label on the quilt I am making for my daughter. Is June Taylor an online store?

No. Sorry, I meant June Tailor. Here is a link to the product I use. I usually buy it at Joann's.

http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...heetspack.aspx

EmsMom 09-30-2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by crazicorn

Originally Posted by EmsMom

No. Sorry, I meant June Tailor. Here is a link to the product I use. I usually buy it at Joann's.

http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...heetspack.aspx

Thanks so much for the link! I am just learning something new every day.... I love this place! Have a great day and thanks again.