Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Labeling your work (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/labeling-your-work-t67366.html)

amma 09-29-2010 10:32 AM

I am trying to label all of mine now... I tend to forget :roll: :oops: :lol:

Lacelady 09-29-2010 10:36 AM

Put it this way. If I saw two quilts in an antique shop, both beautiful, both in similar condition, both the same price, but one has a label, and the other doesn't. I would go for the one with a label every time. It comes with its own little bit of history that the one without a label is lacking.

Needless to say, I label all mine.

CoventryUK 09-29-2010 11:11 AM

I always label and photograph my quilts!

cjaye44 09-29-2010 11:51 AM

I've started labeling my quilts. I have several quilts passed on to me by a beloved aunt ( actually, I taught her...she was a knitter rather than a quilter. She took to it like a duck to water and made at least one bed quilt every year her last four years..all hand quilted too). She left all her quilts to me rather than her own daughter after she found the christening quilt she had designed and handmade for her grandson being used in the dog house. She never signed and dated any of hers so I am going back and making labels for every one she made.

sew wishful 09-29-2010 12:40 PM

Okay, so far I've heard people use their embroidery machines to make labels, or permanent marker (that I've heard isn't all that permanent). Is there any other types? Do you order labels? Wondering about hand embroidery. Or any other options?

moonangel12 09-29-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
Okay, so far I've heard people use their embroidery machines to make labels, or permanent marker (that I've heard isn't all that permanent). Is there any other types? Do you order labels? Wondering about hand embroidery. Or any other options?

I've done one hand embroidered, just to make it extra special. I knew the recipient would really appreciate the quilt and so I wanted to make sure I had a little info on it. I found a fabric pen that is supposed to be more permanent than permanent marker, but I haven't tested out that theory yet. I don't have an embroidery machine so my options are limited. My mom ordered me some "Handmade by _______" with my name on them to use that are pretty cute (I think from the Current catalog).

Lacelady 09-29-2010 01:04 PM

Before I had my embroidery machine, I did some in Cross Stitch, and I have also used a Laundry Marking pen - I think they are more permanent than some other types.

CoventryUK 09-29-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Randa

I have a Husqvarna Sapphire sewing machine. I stitch my labels(usually use calico) by selecting letters and stitching them out. It.s a bit longwinded but I.m happy with them.

jraff 09-29-2010 01:42 PM

I usually do them in cross stitch. Made by ______, for _____, Pattern/design, the date of completion, and my hometown.

Then I bind two edges with the same quilt binding and attach it to the very corner of the quilt - into the binding on the other 2 sides.

I've also started putting a white or cream backing on, so they are easier to read (blocks out the print coming through the holes of cross stitch fabric.

When it is a fast quilt for a sick friend, I have put on a muslin label written on with a permanent fabric pen. OR I've printed a label off the computer onto printable fabric. That way I can add a small image or something else special.

But donation quilts to a layette distribution group or the church comfort quilts do not get a label.

CindyBee 09-29-2010 03:35 PM

All my quilts get a machine embroidered label attached to the back. At the least it is my name, date, pattern name. For loved ones I include a special message.